Training - LEJOG - Cicerone guide

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
lauriematt

Training - LEJOG - Cicerone guide

Post by lauriematt »

hi all

according to the Cicerone guide to LEJOG...the month preceding your trip, it is recommended to cycle two thirds of your daily distance, twice a week!

so...i have started cycling 50miles twice a week at a slow - easy pace! on the other days im still doing a 20mile commute

is this sufficient training???
vernon

Re: Training - LEJOG - Cicerone guide

Post by vernon »

lauriematt wrote:hi all

according to the Cicerone guide to LEJOG...the month preceding your trip, it is recommended to cycle two thirds of your daily distance, twice a week!

so...i have started cycling 50miles twice a week at a slow - easy pace! on the other days im still doing a 20mile commute

is this sufficient training???

It's a lot more than I did!
toontra

Post by toontra »

That sounds about right. For my LEJoG (6 x 150 miles per day) I've been doing at least 1 x 100 per week with another 100, 70 or 2 x 50's for the past 2 months, including a couple of back-to-back 100's. Also 2 or 3 power interval training sessions on the cycle trainer in the gym per week (these have really paid off for hill climbing and speed).

Had my last training day today. A couple of days rest and then set off on Sunday.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Good luck Toontra!

(I'm off to Edinburgh on Saturday, I'll still be in Scotland as you come up!)
Mick F. Cornwall
toontra

Post by toontra »

Mick F wrote:Good luck Toontra!

(I'm off to Edinburgh on Saturday, I'll still be in Scotland as you come up!)

Thanks Mick. The route you helped with is now in my GPS ready to go! I'll think of you as I pass through Edinburgh on Thursday. Don't want to tempt fate but both times I've cycled through there it's been raining.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Don't talk to me about Edinburgh!

The traffic is MAD in the city, and to get out to the Forth Road Bridge, you have to follow a cycle track through to Dalmeny, they won't let cycles on the A90.

I had a rotten time of it. The track was difficult to follow. I ended up in a field on my way north, and coming south I got lost in an industrial estate!

Good luck!
Mick F. Cornwall
toontra

Post by toontra »

Mick F wrote:Don't talk to me about Edinburgh!

The traffic is MAD in the city, and to get out to the Forth Road Bridge, you have to follow a cycle track through to Dalmeny, they won't let cycles on the A90.

I had a rotten time of it. The track was difficult to follow. I ended up in a field on my way north, and coming south I got lost in an industrial estate!

Good luck!

I've been in that field also so should hopefully know to avoid it this time!