LeJog on the NCN | Leaving in September | Is there ANYTHING else that I should know?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
althebike

Re: LeJog on the NCN | Leaving in September | Is there ANYTHING else that I should know?

Post by althebike »

My Wahoo gps worked flawlessly, but I realised a huge oversight during my ride. If I had met a road closure I could have got into trouble, while I vaguely knew the route, I did not know many of the actual turns, and so a paper plan B would have been very sensible.
Power packs can get heavy, so I downgraded mine to a mid power model which was fine.By charging devices during breaks and charging the power pack at night, things worked for me. It is a good idea to chose one with more than one usb port so you can charge more than one device at the same time.
JoeP89

Re: LeJog on the NCN | Leaving in September | Is there ANYTHING else that I should know?

Post by JoeP89 »

Landsurfer, absolutely. I'm trying to gather as much in put from others that I can to help with my own adventure. I'm doing it solo and self supported whilst wild camping so I need all the help I can get!

althebike, I've got myself a power bank now with two USB ports. It's currently charging.

Leave on Monday in the PM, I cannot believe how quickly this trip has come round.
Lejog September 2019. I can't wait.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Go for it!

Keep us informed!!!

Fair winds!!

Cheers James
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Is the NCN 26 over the avonmouth bridge still closed??
If so you have to turn off right before the closed section and find you way through the housing estate east of the bridge.

Cheers James
JoeP89

Post by JoeP89 »

Noted about Avonmouth Bridge, will keep an eye out.

Thank you for all of your helps guys and girls, it's been much appreciated.

I leave tomorrow afternoon! AAArrrhhhhhhhhh. Stressed!

Just setup a JustGiving page so if any of you would like to donate then please feel free.

Here's the link: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/jpdetails
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

Just setup a JustGiving page so if any of you would like to donate then please feel free.

What?! Everyone else on here pays their own way, why do you think you deserve charity? There's too much of this going on - "I want to have a good time and I want you to pay for it". Crikey!
JoeP89

Post by JoeP89 »

The trips cost me over £2k. All funded for by me. Whatever I raise for charity, believe it or not, is going to charity and not in my pocket. Comprende?
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
The stress will evaporate once you get underway.
Good Luck.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

JoeP89 wrote:The trips cost me over £2k. All funded for by me. Whatever I raise for charity, believe it or not, is going to charity and not in my pocket. Comprende?

Don't worry u set up a watapp page to keep my freinds and family informed and got a barrage of sbuse! Took the whole train journey to get over it! Including loosing my accomodation! But the bumps are what you climb on!!

Cheers James
JoeP89

Post by JoeP89 »

I completed the ride on Sunday the 22nd of September after leaving lands end on the 3rd. I spent two following nights in Thurso to celebrate/relax and after spending my first night back at home last night, I literally slept from midnight till 2pm. 14 hours of sleep! I was a bit sleep deprived towards the end of the trip and I certainly made up for it today!

The ride took me 20 days in total with one rest day around 13 days in in' Penrith. That's an average of 63.2 miles per day for the 19 days of cycling, or 60 miles average per day inclusive of the rest day. (Whichever way you want to look at it.)

So far, I've raised over £300 for the charity 'Get Kids Going' which I hope to continue to build on over the next couple of weeks whilst using my respectively sized online following to the charity's advantage. YouTube, Instagram and Facebook. (@JP Details)

I'm not sure how to sum the 1,200 mile ride up in total, but it sure was an amazing adventure and experience.

I packed way to much stuff to begin with and I soon realized after cycling the first 50 miles from Lands End. I almost overheated, I lost far to much water fluid from my body and I pushed myself way to hard. The sun was blazing all day and when I had almost reached the peak of some never ending hills whilst making my way through Cornwall. I felt as if I was becoming incredibly ill. After an hour lying down and drinking two liters of water, I recovered.

The end of day one and the start of day 2, I felt this huge overwhelming feeling of being completely out of my depth and I wanted to give up. I pushed onwards on day 2 and made another 50 odd miles of progress. It wasn't until day 6 when I actually thought; you know what? I can actually make this. Until day 6, I thought I'd be lucky to make it back home to Staffordshire.

I'm going to cut this story short here because there's lots of stuff I want to talk about. But, I'm going to be making an informative YouTube video where I'm going to recall as much of the trip as possible for my followers. So there's no point in doing twice on this forum as well.

It's going to be quite the story and well worth the watch, so please feel free to subscribe to my YouTube channel called JP Details and await the upload.

The Sustrans NCN route is simply amazing and incredibly easy to follow whilst using a Garmin Edge Explore 1000 and the Sustrans downloadable routes. The signage on route I'd say is 90% good, but the Garmin routes make it 110% easy to follow. I was never frustrated and I didn't get lost once!

I met so, so, so many nice people on the trip and also a handful of other end to enders.

This trip has now inspired me to undertake a few other challenges in the future. Namely a Triathlon, London to Paris and back and a coast to coast of some sort. Although with the beastly 1,200 miles of the Sustrans route, I think the only challenge that would better this one, is to go around the world! Although I'm not too keen on doing that one anytime soon!
PH

Post by PH »

Fantastic stuff Joe, well done.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Yep well done, job's a good'un :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.