LeJog on the NCN | Leaving in September | Is there ANYTHING else that I should know?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
JoeP89

Re: LeJog on the NCN | Leaving in September | Is there ANYTHING else that I should know?

Postby JoeP89 » 23 Jul 2019, 10:28pm

charliepolecat wrote:
Same in Sportives - so many riders blindly following arrows without any idea of where they are, where they've been, possible escape routes etc.

I had to respond to this because yesterday there was a charity ride (sportive) around here and I was doing one of my Audax rides and came across some of the hundred or so riders in that ride and asked one of them who was on the 73 mile ride what his route was he said: "I don't know I'm just following the signs".

The good thing with the Sustrans book is that it gives you a detailed map of the nearby area, the route you need to be on, points of interest, a written guide through each section and a few other useful things to know. I've ridden on a few NCN routes in Scotland and I certainly won't be just following the signs. I like to know where I am, particularly when cycling from one end of the country to the other.
Lejog September 2019. I can't wait.

BobSweet

Altrincham To Manchester

Postby BobSweet » 28 Jul 2019, 8:36am

The section from Altrincham at the end of the disused railway line to the centre of Manchester has a poor surface, a few busy bits, awkward gates and a few places with no signs. There is an alternative using the Bridgewater Way cycle path alongside the canal. You pick up the sustrans route again at the science and industry museum in Manchester, easy to ask directions to that if you go wrong. This route saves about 5 miles and probably about 1 to 1.5 hours in time! Café and a Halfords enroute if needed. Just be careful if doing it at rush hour, it is a bike commuter route into and out of Manchester and mainly 1.8m wide. If it is wet definitely do this route.

www.plotaroute.com/route/887905

There are a few notes on the route if you scroll down to the "About" section.

Sweep

Re: Altrincham To Manchester

Postby Sweep » 28 Jul 2019, 5:15pm

BobSweet wrote:The section from Altrincham at the end of the disused railway line to the centre of Manchester has a poor surface, a few busy bits, awkward gates and a few places with no signs. There is an alternative using the Bridgewater Way cycle path alongside the canal. You pick up the sustrans route again at the science and industry museum in Manchester, easy to ask directions to that if you go wrong. This route saves about 5 miles and probably about 1 to 1.5 hours in time! Café and a Halfords enroute if needed. Just be careful if doing it at rush hour, it is a bike commuter route into and out of Manchester and mainly 1.8m wide. If it is wet definitely do this route.

http://www.plotaroute.com/route/887905

There are a few notes on the route if you scroll down to the "About" section.

I can recommend the Bridgewater Way path - excellent - I quite often use it on long trips.

Not altogther bad that it is well used of course. Can make things safer.

And after I recently diverted off it for a while, and then came back on, my useless sense of direction was saved by soon being able to ask a passer-by which way Sale was. So I turned around :)
Sweep

Jackanory

Re: LeJog on the NCN | Leaving in September | Is there ANYTHING else that I should know?

Postby Jackanory » 16 Aug 2019, 2:17pm

Best of luck with this OP. I'm planning to do the same next year so please let me know how you get on!

charliepolecat

Postby charliepolecat » 16 Aug 2019, 4:52pm

, my useless sense of direction was saved by soon being able to ask a passer-by which way Sale was. So I turned around

Best of luck with this OP. I'm planning to do the same next year

Really Jack? :P

Jackanory

Postby Jackanory » 16 Aug 2019, 8:57pm

charliepolecat wrote:
, my useless sense of direction was saved by soon being able to ask a passer-by which way Sale was. So I turned around

Best of luck with this OP. I'm planning to do the same next year

Really Jack? :P

Eh?
Edit: Oh I see, well no, hoping to get it right first time :D

JoeP89

Postby JoeP89 » 18 Aug 2019, 10:40pm

Crikey, this trip is looming. Two weeks to go. Training was going well for the first 7 weeks, I haven't ridden in two weeks and my work schedule is manic.

Good job I've got a month to do it but all of my kit has arrived!

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 19 Aug 2019, 12:30am

Hi,
Don't Panic :)

You have good and bad national cycle routes.
And as said the signs even if you can find them aren't always clear to work out where they will take you.
So with 60 miles a day which would be weekends off how does that sound.
I mean can you do say 60 miles in say 8 hours each day, two hours for breaks eating etc, would mean 10 mph?
Or moreover if you do 10 hours a day with three hours for rest and eating that will be 8.6 miles an hour on the bike for 7 hours but you will be on the road for 10 hours a day?

Its all about pace, pacing yourself.

Not knowing which road to pick sometimes is very frustrating.........and very time consuming.

You need a plan B even a C as a back up.

OK so..................but you are camping.....oh........camp sites with charging?
If so then I would take a, you will need to charge your phone, sat nav, that's your plan B.

I recently Did a seven day tour, following a sat nav along National cycle routes, mostly they went where I wanted to go, and some were stupid round the houses etc.
Sometimes main road type routes are easier and quicker, you need to stay flexible.

Ok so ride as if its a six day working week, and that's now 50 miles a day, might be a little easier.

Spend a week getting your gear sorted and do a shake down dry run for a day and camp wild too (eye up a spot before hand to camp) and turn up feed and watered and camp.
This is good experience for what you might have to / need to / even want to do if it suits your progress.

If will give you confidence which will stand you well on your trip.

Good luck.

A power bank I took a 10,000mah one is a good idea at about 350 grams.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

JoeP89

Postby JoeP89 » 24 Aug 2019, 11:33pm

NATURAL ANKLING response:

Thank you for your detailed reply. I have recently purchased a GPS 1000 Explore Garmin thing and I'm going to load the complete Sustrans NCN route onto it as a plan A/B. I still have the book to fall back on. Failing both of those options, I would head to a local bike shop and upload lets say the sicerone route and offer them some cash for helping me out. I'm hoping that either the book or GPS or even a combination of the two will get me to the end.

I'm one for taking it as it comes so will literally keep peddling each day until I know I need to stop. I do plan to take a few days off here and there or days with minimal mileage and enjoy a nice lake or loch for a bit of a rest. I don't want to be out for the whole so I'm hoping to be back home within 3 weeks.

Camping all the way with the odd B&B or hostel. Whether its a mixture of campsites and wild camping, I'm sure I'll enjoy the diversity of the sleeping arrangements.

I can't believe how quickly this trip has creeped up on me. I've been so busy with work I haven't trained for 3 weeks. Oops. My bum's going to be sore on day 1 I think.

I need a power bank. *Heads straight to eBay.

Don't forget to subscribe to JP Details on YouTube for the inevitable video on the trip to see how it went!

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 25 Aug 2019, 9:57am

Hi,
On power banks (i was not using camp sites so i could not mains charge) post in say " does anyone know" section for recommended power banks.

Edited
Perhaps better in the camping section.
Also I found it best to have a power bank with a digital LCD percentage of charge left, I.e. 0 to 100%.
I bought one which has a very linear /Accurate LCD visual.
But another from the same make was not very linear at all.
It's a good idea to know how much charge is left in the power bank so you know if you can rely on it.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

JoeP89

Postby JoeP89 » 27 Aug 2019, 9:13pm

Response: NATURAL ANKLING

I've got myself a power bank on order, something like a 50,000 something or other with LCD percentage display.

6 Days to go and I haven't even ridden my new hybrid sports bike for the first time yet!

I'm incredibly doubtful that I'll physically be able to do this trip and I recon I'll end up cycling from Lands end to home in Staffordshire.

I hope I continue onwards to the Scottish borders and John o Groats itself, I made contacts in Glasgow the other day so they'd have a curry waiting!

Jamesh

Postby Jamesh » 27 Aug 2019, 10:42pm

If you make it to Bristol you can go all the way just take your time and enjoy!

Make sure your comfy on your saddle and hands - good shorts if it's at all chilly wear tights over the top and good gel mitts!

Cheers James
Last edited by Jamesh on 28 Aug 2019, 7:56am, edited 1 time in total.

PH

Postby PH » 27 Aug 2019, 11:40pm

What an adventure, hope it goes well. I like NCN routes and have done most of the long distance ones, be prepared for some frustrations though the rewards will far outweigh them. Look forward to following your progress.

JoeP89

Postby JoeP89 » 29 Aug 2019, 8:27pm

James, I've got myself 3 pairs of shorts and 3 pairs of padded under shorts and some male tights.

Garmin 1000 Explore has arrived and the power bank and plenty of other little things.

Rode the bike for the first proper time yesterday for all of 5 minutes. It feels a bit different to the Giant Fathom 1!

The rack at the front doesn't fit and haven't got time to sort another one out. Two panniers down currently!

I pretty much work 12 - 15 hours every day so this 1200 mile cycle is going to be a nice break!

landsurfer

Postby landsurfer » 29 Aug 2019, 8:59pm

Take no advice and all advice.. filter all suggestions:
Some on here are fountains of superb knowledge, others ... have good intentions....
Carry little, sleep lots and most of all ..

Remember ..

This is your LEJOG, not anyone else's ... your leaving, your journey ... your arrival.

Your destination.

David, Jules and Riley ...

Our LEJOG was in 2018.
With a band of brothers and sisters.
But it was our LEJOG ... no one else's ..
Our brothers and sisters had their own personal LEJOG's.
Have yours ...
The Road Goes On Forever