7 day route

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Gearoidmuar

Re: 7 day route

Post by Gearoidmuar »

I've done Lejog 4 times but not Jogle. I agree with Mick about the prevailing wind as the last time I did it it was against us almost all the way. I also agree that Cornwall and Devon are the worst. In my case Devon was worse as we did (CTC tour) from Lostwithiel to Exeter and this 70m ride has 7000ft of climbing, some of it fairly steep. That day is a killer. As regards organisation, I'll put in a spake for Chris Ellison on whose tour I went 4 times. His tour is very well organised and that yoke is removed from one's shoulders.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

A prevailing wind might only blow 51% of the time but I sure it's more like 70% of the time.

You throw the dice and take the result.

Cornwall wasn't too bad thanks to Mick F's routing.

Going over Dartmoor isn't sensible in a fast 7 day ride tbh.

I'll do Dartmoor on the next family holiday if I can get them to holiday in South rather than North Devon!!

Cheers James
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, Dartmoor is best done as a separate trip, rather than part of an End2End ....... unless you're doing a leisurely two-weeker.

Loads of places to stay either within the national park, or within spitting distance.
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Yeah there's a big prison, Buckfast abbey and Mick F!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Jorvik

Post by Jorvik »

Me again! Don't worry, i'm not one of those who make grand plans never to be heard of again :D All booked up for May.

One other thing i've been wondering... A lot of talk about how tough the first day our of Cornwall is and the nature of the hills. North Yorkshire is my backyard and they never seem to end! Will it be like a home from home for me or are Cornwalls tougher?

Also as i'm doing it for charity, is anyone aware of an app that would allow people to follow my ride online?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I've done the Yorkshire Dales and it's tough, but no tougher than I could find here in the Far Southwest.

The issue with LEJOG, is that you are on a mission to get to the other end of the UK mainland. Most folk have a timescale to complete the ride due to schedules and transport, so they are trying to find an efficient route, not the most scenic they can find.

The flattest, quickest, simplest route north from LE is to go on the modern dual carriageways ................. but they are horrible to cycle on as well as having some horrible long climbs. You cannot beat geography and the river valleys. :lol:

Follow my suggestions.

Basically .............
LE to Hayle on the A30, and go through the town to the far end and get on the Old A30 for Connor Downs, Camborne, Redruth, and to Blackwater.
Bits of New A30 and turn off through St Newlyn East, St Columb Major and join the A39 for Camelford.
Turn onto the A395 and off onto the lanes via Egloskerry to St Stephens then down to the A388 but turn off almost immediately to join the Old A30 for Okehampton.

Any detailed info, please ask. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I’d assume by North Yorkshire you meant NY Moors. Just think Charltons, Rosedale and Sutton and you’ll come across nothing worse in Cornwall and Devon.
They really are nothing to fear.

Google Maps could do your location sharing.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Jorvik wrote:Me again! Don't worry, i'm not one of those who make grand plans never to be heard of again :D All booked up for May.

One other thing i've been wondering... A lot of talk about how tough the first day our of Cornwall is and the nature of the hills. North Yorkshire is my backyard and they never seem to end! Will it be like a home from home for me or are Cornwalls tougher?

Also as i'm doing it for charity, is anyone aware of an app that would allow people to follow my ride online?

MapMyRide allows you to share your location with other registered members.
As far as I know Strava and other fitness applications will also let you share your routes and locations, but I haven't used them.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I think you will find that live updates to give location etc will probably require a mobile with connection, sat nav on its own won't do this?
I have heard it said that mobile with gps will eat batteries.
There are also probably unique non mobile app tracker units, but I know nothing about these.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.