LEJOG by Cicerone Route (Entire) 2019 Reflections & Advice

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
awinf

Re: LEJOG by Cicerone Route (Entire) 2019 Reflections & Advice

Postby awinf » 11 Jan 2020, 7:00pm

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Well I am glad you liked Dartmoor.
Best done from tavistock - princetown - mortenhampstead, or in reverse :)
That way it will be exhilarating both ways....seriously, the big dipper from princetown to merrivale or princetown to yelverton will pull your hair out :P
Hair raising yep down into mortenhampstead :lol: Probably the best drop by far off Dartmoor.
Easy route up Dartmoor from Plymouth would be the "Drakes Trail" not sure which way you went but the road up from Plymouth is busy to yelverton, straight on up to Dartmoor this is a climb too, (unless you would head straight for tavistock then on up to Oakhampton) then on to postbridge and on into mortenhampstead. As you know many views on Dartmoor.

Its a pity that many shun Dartmoor, the weather in summer is nothing compared to the north and Scotland for sure in summer, you found that out the hard way.

Well done!

Thank you. We followed the Cicerone route which was A386 out of Plymouth to Yelverton then climb up on the B3212 and through to Mortenhampstead. Yes the 386 was busy but having cycled through Plymouth in pouring rain and sat sheltering in a miserable McDonalds for an hour we were happy for a good straight road to focus on!! :D
We loved the climb up to Princetown from Yelverton, the weather cleared, the road quiet, views were spectacular and we were rewarded with that drop into Mortenhampstead! The route we took was always a compromise of direct vs quieter roads but I think we were happy with Dartmoor - overall it remains one of the highlights of the trip.
Thanks for reading.
Adam

awinf

Postby awinf » 11 Jan 2020, 7:13pm

wjhall wrote:
awinf wrote:My wife & I completed an self supported trip in June 2019 using the Cicerone route exclusively ... ...
I hope I can provide some 'pay back' to the forum by sharing my own thoughts & advice via my blog & diary here: https://through-the-lens.exposure.co/lands-end-to-john-ogroats-by-bike?source=share-through-the-lens
Adam

I see you entered Ashton Court, but then presumably stayed on the lower level, and found the resulting trip up the A403 miserable. Although the A403 does now have a related cycle route, including broad shared pavements that are generally rather wider and better than many parts of the Portway cycle track, there are two much better, rather pleasant ways through North Bristol.

(a) Climb up through Ashton Court, cross the Clifton suspension bridge and follow minor suburban roads down into the Trym Valley, thence to Easter Compton, and the Severn bridge.

(b) Follow your low level route along the Portway cycle track only as far as the slip road to Sea Mills station, then join the Trym Valley route above.

See related recent thread, for other related options: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=132914

Thanks, hopefully others can use this info. I think we found this stretch miserable mainly due to the weather, it began to pour with rain as we passed under the Clifton Suspension bridge and didn't let up until after the Severn Bridge! We found good cycle paths until the A403 between the M4 & M48 where we were on the road with mainly heavy vehicles.
Thanks for the info and for reading the blog.

Adam

awinf

Postby awinf » 11 Jan 2020, 7:22pm

scarletnut wrote:Great read - did this route on my own in September 2018 at the age of 65. It was tough but definitely doing LEJoG again in a few years time! Looking back at my diary I realise the Cicerone route is based primarily on Youth Hostels and I will avoid the Forest of Bowland and Clun (the climb 3 miles out of Clun probably one of the worst!) although I agree that that one before Fowey on Day 1 is cruel.... Loved Moffat, hated the road surface to Glasgow, loved Tyndrum to Glencoe, hated the A82 to Fort William too!!
So next time I would do northwards out of Cornwall/Devon, avoid Clun hill, go Mersey crossing, Lancaster and A6 to Carlisle and after Gretna go east through Edinburgh but can't wait to do Inverness north exactly the same, but without Storm Ali.... Never had the climbing stats on my bike computer so thanks for this. Doing Bristol to Monmouth on a Sunday also helps with the Avon industrial section.

Thank you. Have just read your post out to my wife and she sat nodding her head and chuckling!!! You're spot on!
With an extended period of hindsight we look fondly on the 'bad days' as being a very important part of the amazing trip, and over the Cross of Greet was definitely a really tough section. How we laugh now at the site of a dead cow in a tractor bucket as it pulled out in front of us on the descent!!!! An omen if ever I saw one!
We too 'talk' about the next time we do LEJoG - the one section I know we'd look to avoid is the A82 and maybe that bloody road surface to Glasgow :D
Enjoy your re-run.
Adam

awinf

Postby awinf » 11 Jan 2020, 7:25pm

videoman wrote:Great report and photos and a ride I would love to do before I get much older, thanks for sharing.

You're very welcome. I'd thoroughly recommend it, an amazing adventure.
Adam

wjhall

Postby wjhall » 15 Feb 2020, 9:14pm

awinf wrote:
wjhall wrote:
awinf wrote:My wife & I completed an self supported trip in June 2019 using the Cicerone route exclusively ... ...
I.... ....: https://through-the-lens.exposure.co/lands-end-to-john-ogroats-by-bike?source=share-through-the-lens
Adam

....We found good cycle paths until the A403 between the M4 & M48 where we were on the road with mainly heavy vehicles.
Thanks for the info and for reading the blog.

Adam

There is indeed a gap on shared pavements along the A403 from Severn beach to Northwick, which can be turned by going into Severn Beach and then out to Olveston if going up the Severn Vale. The straightforward cycle.travel output for Gloucester to Taunton picks this out quite well. (1) (I cannot speak for this route beyond about 40 km from Bristol.)

If going across the Severn Bridge, turn off this to Northwick, then A403 shared pavement until you cross over onto the old road to Old Passage, which brings you neatly onto the S side path on the Severn Bridge.

Slightly longer routes through the countryside east of the A403 actually become rural after passing under the M5 in Hallen, and within Bristol are either suburban or sylvan before that.

(1) https://cycle.travel/map/journey/131473