Cornwall Hills compared to Scotland

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Regieuk

Cornwall Hills compared to Scotland

Post by Regieuk »

This is really a 'just out of curiosity' type question.
Earlier this week I cycled from Newquay to Launceston (& back) using the A30, a nice ride but some hills that dragged!
(Being based in this part of the world any ride involves a fair amount of hills)
The 'Jogle' is 3 weeks away and I have got to wondering how Scotland compares with Cornwall? Are the hills longer / steeper etc? (Am I going to die!!)
It is so long since I was up there and that was in a car where you tend not to notice the hills!
cheers
Regie
http://2008jogle.blogspot.com
Si

Post by Si »

I found it much easier to avoid the bulk of the major hills with out resorting to overly busy roads in Scotland than in Cornwall. I think that many of the lesser roads in Cornwall have steeper but shorter hills than in Scotland - as a broad generalisation.
2Tubs

Post by 2Tubs »

Agree with Si.

The hills were much higher in Scotland (doesn't really need saying, does it?) but the roads up them were (on the whole) more gentle.

Cornwall on the other hand was much tougher. Put it this way, we were aware of the topography from people on these forums and planned 90 miles a day in Scotland but dropped it to 50 miles a day in Cornwall.

It worked out just right.

Gazza
Why not Look at Sheila's Wheelers E2E Journal
Or My Personal Site
Or My Tweets
Whatever you do, buy fair trade.
And smile.
Regieuk

Post by Regieuk »

Cheers for that, makes me feel better, the training down this end will of been of some use! :lol:
vernon

Post by vernon »

Regieuk wrote:Cheers for that, makes me feel better, the training down this end will of been of some use! :lol:

Scotland is a breeze in comparion to Devon and Cornwall. The canny Scots built their roads around hills rather than over them. Where a climb is unavoidable it tends to be gentle and long.

It doesnt matter which end you start from, Devonian and Cornish hills are the toughest.
braz

Post by braz »

Well, me 'ansome, us allus reccons it be flattish hereabouts - cept for they dang furriners, we'em quite 'appy with ur flat 'ills.

proper job. Braz.
jimfrench

Post by jimfrench »

Beyond Lairg there are no hills until you reach the coast.Beyond there are 13 or so rivers flowing into the sea and you have to expect the odd steep descent and ascent. However just beyond Reay Golf Club,on your left, there is a right turn on a delightful back road that avoids a few of these hills and takes you in to Scrabster/Thurso.( In Scrabster there is a nice,inexpensive B&B overlooking the harbour and, by the harbour itself ,in most unpreposessing surroundings, there is a restaurant which is widely acclaimed-a fit place to celebrate your trip).Coming back a bit if you take a route through Dumfries , Ardrossan,Kintyre,Oban,Fort William and Bonar Bridge then you will meet hills on Arran( c.250m) at Oban and Struie Hill (c300m) just before Bonar Bridge.The route before Dumfries is up to you!
ransos

Post by ransos »

The only really tough hills I found in Scotland on my way to JOG were along the coast just north of Helmsdale. I found Devon & Cornwall much tougher.
Simon L6

Post by Simon L6 »

Berriedale is tough in either direction. Get off and walk if you must, and admire the view.

Are you going over Shap?
vernon

Post by vernon »

Simon L6 wrote:Berriedale is tough in either direction. Get off and walk if you must, and admire the view.

Are you going over Shap?

I thought that Berriedale Braes were easier heading south.

I found Shap to be a bigger struggle. I've never seen sunshine in Shap village or over the summit.
Regieuk

Post by Regieuk »

Looks like I will be going over shap, feeling much better about Scotland now though :lol: