Route for LEJOG

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
puffin
Posts: 283
Joined: 15 Aug 2010, 3:29pm

Route for LEJOG

Postby puffin » 1 Dec 2019, 11:12am

Here's my route, I've finessed it down from previous journeys. I have learnt, since completing booking the accommodation, from Mick F that I could have avoided the Wye Valley, and in an also too late Road To Damascus moment, suddenly found I couldn't explain why I go East of Bristol. No idea. Its much longer.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31517493

Any comments welcome, and feel free to use to help your planning, but I can't vouch for it.

Best wishes

User avatar
Redvee
Posts: 2257
Joined: 8 Mar 2010, 8:58pm

Re: Route for LEJOG

Postby Redvee » 2 Dec 2019, 1:56am

Not scared of hills are you? Looking at the stretch around Bristol you've chosen to go up overt the Mendips but avoided the climb up through Cheddar Gorge. I'll suggest some detours for Bristol in a day or two.

puffin
Posts: 283
Joined: 15 Aug 2010, 3:29pm

Re: Route for LEJOG

Postby puffin » 2 Dec 2019, 10:12am

Redvee wrote:Not scared of hills are you? Looking at the stretch around Bristol you've chosen to go up overt the Mendips but avoided the climb up through Cheddar Gorge. I'll suggest some detours for Bristol in a day or two.


I've re-done the route to include the Gorge (when I aggregated the daily routes it put in some short cuts). I've also re-done the Bristol route where it had also aggregated it into a short cut, it now goes (the long way...why???) East of Bristol using in part the old railways.

Best wishes

User avatar
Redvee
Posts: 2257
Joined: 8 Mar 2010, 8:58pm

Re: Route for LEJOG

Postby Redvee » 9 Dec 2019, 1:52am

I see you're leaving the B2B cyclepath at 229.5 miles then going underneath it 5 miles later. You can stay on the cyclepath and turn right at Mangotsfield Station then pick up the spur that takes you towards Tulip abbotoir but come off at the bridge on Coxgrove Hill.

User avatar
Morzedec
Posts: 313
Joined: 11 Jul 2016, 6:03pm
Location: Cornwall/Deux-Sevres

Re: Route for LEJOG

Postby Morzedec » 11 Dec 2019, 8:18pm

Hello, for each additional 10km that you choose to ride on your route, you will need to eat an extra pasty whilst in Cornwall.

Makes sense to me ....................

Happy days,

puffin
Posts: 283
Joined: 15 Aug 2010, 3:29pm

Re: Route for LEJOG

Postby puffin » 15 Dec 2019, 11:48am

Redvee wrote:I see you're leaving the B2B cyclepath at 229.5 miles then going underneath it 5 miles later. You can stay on the cyclepath and turn right at Mangotsfield Station then pick up the spur that takes you towards Tulip abbotoir but come off at the bridge on Coxgrove Hill.


Thanks Redvee,
that is a great suggestion and I have updated the map, many thanks. I guess the surface is the same all the way?

Best wishes

puffin
Posts: 283
Joined: 15 Aug 2010, 3:29pm

Re: Route for LEJOG

Postby puffin » 15 Dec 2019, 11:54am

Morzedec wrote:Hello, for each additional 10km that you choose to ride on your route, you will need to eat an extra pasty whilst in Cornwall.

Makes sense to me ....................

Happy days,


Good suggestion, and I like the 10k / I pastie ratio; works for me. However, traditionally I only get to stop for 1 pastie, and its at Crossways, St. Newwlyns East. Nectar.

Sandhouse
Posts: 10
Joined: 20 Apr 2017, 8:01pm

Re: Route for LEJOG

Postby Sandhouse » 29 Dec 2019, 8:57pm

puffin wrote:
Redvee wrote:I see you're leaving the B2B cyclepath at 229.5 miles then going underneath it 5 miles later. You can stay on the cyclepath and turn right at Mangotsfield Station then pick up the spur that takes you towards Tulip abbotoir but come off at the bridge on Coxgrove Hill.


Thanks Redvee,
that is a great suggestion and I have updated the map, many thanks. I guess the surface is the same all the way?

Best wishes

The path is tarmac all the way from where you join it at Saltford to Coxgrove Hill, where you rejoin the road, generally it’s very good and fine on a road bike.

puffin
Posts: 283
Joined: 15 Aug 2010, 3:29pm

Re: Route for LEJOG

Postby puffin » 30 Dec 2019, 5:48pm

Thanks Redvee, much appreciated, route updated and saved.
Thanks again.

User avatar
honesty
Posts: 2555
Joined: 16 Mar 2012, 3:33pm
Location: Somerset
Contact:

Re: Route for LEJOG

Postby honesty » 31 Dec 2019, 9:29am

Just on around Taunton (as you pretty much cycle past my house) I'd suggest the following changes to make traverse of the town a bit easier.

Currently from Hillfarrance you are following the NCN in through Bishops Hull and through town. This takes up a short but sharp hill, but more importantly a pain in the backside section through the school. I would go to Norton Fitzwarren (follow the lane round to the left rather than take the right/straight on passed the Allerford Inn), turn right before the Co-op down station road and onto Great Western Way. Then take Bindon road to Stapegrove road, over the railway bridge then along the bike path on the side of Trenchard Way. You get to this by taking the second exit to Chip Lane exit on the roundabout rather than the Trenchard way exit, go past the Bicycle Chain then left straight after the ramp to the foot bridge as there is not dropped curb on Trenchard way onto the bike path. Follow Trenchard Way around to Abbey Close, go down there then drop onto the Canal path as you currently have.

From Cheddar I'd take the Strawberry line around to Clevedon then follow the Avon Cycleway over the Avon bridge as well.

puffin
Posts: 283
Joined: 15 Aug 2010, 3:29pm

Re: Route for LEJOG

Postby puffin » 1 Jan 2020, 6:35pm

Thanks Honesty that was really useful.

puffin
Posts: 283
Joined: 15 Aug 2010, 3:29pm

Re: Route for LEJOG

Postby puffin » 2 Jan 2020, 4:35pm

Just updated the route as per the advice gratefully received. The route is 994 miles from Penzance Station to Wick Station. I then have a 5 mile exactly cycle ride back from the station to my village at the other end.... so I'm just a mile short of the magic 1,000. This happened the last time but one, so I ended up cycling through the village up to the local football field, then back home.

User avatar
honesty
Posts: 2555
Joined: 16 Mar 2012, 3:33pm
Location: Somerset
Contact:

Re: Route for LEJOG

Postby honesty » 2 Jan 2020, 4:47pm

Looks good through Norton (the route hasnt gone down Station Road as it's technically not linked on the mapping software, the link is there though!, but what you've got works as well). Question though, looks like you're coming off the Canal path at the Bathpool end of Taunton. Personally I'd just stick on the canal through to Bridgwater as I find the route ok. Some other people have had problems with the roughness but I've found it ok.

Jamesh
Posts: 1324
Joined: 2 Jan 2017, 5:56pm

Re: Route for LEJOG

Postby Jamesh » 2 Jan 2020, 6:47pm

From Cheddar I'd take the Strawberry line around to Clevedon then follow the Avon Cycleway over the Avon bridge as well.

Defo take this route as I had a nasty headwind off the Bristol channel between wsm and clevedon. A bit of shelter makes cycling slot more pleasant esp with tired legs of Cornwall and Devon !!

Cheers James

puffin
Posts: 283
Joined: 15 Aug 2010, 3:29pm

Re: Route for LEJOG

Postby puffin » 2 Jan 2020, 11:17pm

honesty wrote:Looks good through Norton (the route hasnt gone down Station Road as it's technically not linked on the mapping software, the link is there though!, but what you've got works as well). Question though, looks like you're coming off the Canal path at the Bathpool end of Taunton. Personally I'd just stick on the canal through to Bridgwater as I find the route ok. Some other people have had problems with the roughness but I've found it ok.


Good spot, thanks Honesty, the software took me off the canal North East of Taunton as I amended the earlier bit. I've redon it to include the full cnal length to Bridgewater. I remember the canal had "milestones" representing the planets and their relative distances.