Route for LEJOG

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Route for LEJOG

Post by Mick F »

puffin wrote:
honesty wrote:Im going to annoy MickF here as we've disagreed about this in the past, but at Sourton I'd personally be diverting onto the Granite way past the Church of St Thomas a Becket. This then will take you over the Meldon viaduct, which in my view is worth doing even for the extra few minutes it would take you.

Thanks again, looks like a great diversion. I've updated the route, but won't tell Mick. Promise.
Sorry, late to the party here! :D

When you get to the end of the Old A30 at Sourton, turn right onto the A386 and go south for a couple of hundred yards, and turn left into a carpark. The lane out the back of the carpark goes up onto the moor near Meldon Viaduct.
As you go to into the carpark, there's a cattle grid and a pile of huge stones on your left to dissuade cars and motorbikes.
Turn left there through the stones and enter the Granite Way for Okehampton.

Level-ish to the viaduct, but from then on you're on paths, not old railbed. You're in and out of bends and corners, and pop out above Okehampton Town. Downhill into the town and turn right on the main road through traffic lights.

Easiest way is to turn LEFT at the end of the Old A30 at Sourton. Go past the service area etc and keep going past the entrance to the A30 dual carriageway. Keep going less than a mile, turn right at a small crossroads signposted Meldon, and down the lane to join the Old A30 again for Okehampton Town and pass through traffic lights ............. where you would have come down the hill from Granite Way.

Take the first left. It's a one-way street and will cut the corner - and the hill - off. Otherwise, carry on to the main traffic lights and turn left.
Either way, down to the mini roundabout and turn right up Appledore Hill towards Samford Spiney, Bow and Copplestone, then Crediton.

Rob's Passage and Tiverton, Halberton to Waterloo Cross for the A38 and head for Taunton and Bridgwater.
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

May 9th the ride was due to start but was cancelled Mick F.
puffin

Post by puffin »

I'm doing a virtual LEJOG, using routes from our house. Reached 300 miles BUT due to dog custody issues have to have two half days. Never leave two sheepdogs at home alone while you are out, you will come back to find any jigsaws completed, your Google playlist altered to include dog themed songs, the TV retuned to Country Life and One Man and His Dog ,and your best Minesweeper score magically improved on.

Done 300 miles so far. It is really hard, because there is no spur of getting somewhere new, there is always the knowledge that home is within a couple of hours of a tempting ride, and its all places I've been to. Against that my wife is imitating a range of B&B's, offering me a choice of porridge or cereal, a full English which she says at 600 miles she will change to a full Scottish, and in the morning gives a me a menu for that night's meal. I have to help cook it when I get in. Incidentally, the full English option has been off everytime I've asked for it.

Some afternoons my route takes me past her yard where she keeps her horses, and I suspect where she sources the porridge, giving me the chance to cool down and get a drink. One of the horses, a brusque massive 17.3 hand lad has taken a shine to me, nuzzling, mouthing and licking me. I reckoned we were becoming soul mates but apparently he regards me as a salt lick.

If anyone is thinking of doing a virtual LEJOG I would advise finding ways to make it more, frankly, interesting or stimulating, and it is hard to motivate yourself doing efectively 14 back to back days of training runs.
whoof

Post by whoof »

puffin wrote:I'm doing a virtual LEJOG, using routes from our house. Reached 300 miles BUT due to dog custody issues have to have two half days. Never leave two sheepdogs at home alone while you are out, you will come back to find any jigsaws completed, your Google playlist altered to include dog themed songs, the TV retuned to Country Life and One Man and His Dog ,and your best Minesweeper score magically improved on.

Done 300 miles so far. It is really hard, because there is no spur of getting somewhere new, there is always the knowledge that home is within a couple of hours of a tempting ride, and its all places I've been to. Against that my wife is imitating a range of B&B's, offering me a choice of porridge or cereal, a full English which she says at 600 miles she will change to a full Scottish, and in the morning gives a me a menu for that night's meal. I have to help cook it when I get in. Incidentally, the full English option has been off everytime I've asked for it.

Some afternoons my route takes me past her yard where she keeps her horses, and I suspect where she sources the porridge, giving me the chance to cool down and get a drink. One of the horses, a brusque massive 17.3 hand lad has taken a shine to me, nuzzling, mouthing and licking me. I reckoned we were becoming soul mates but apparently he regards me as a salt lick.

If anyone is thinking of doing a virtual LEJOG I would advise finding ways to make it more, frankly, interesting or stimulating, and it is hard to motivate yourself doing efectively 14 back to back days of training runs.
I
puffin wrote:I'm doing a virtual LEJOG, using routes from our house. Reached 300 miles BUT due to dog custody issues have to have two half days. Never leave two sheepdogs at home alone while you are out, you will come back to find any jigsaws completed, your Google playlist altered to include dog themed songs, the TV retuned to Country Life and One Man and His Dog ,and your best Minesweeper score magically improved on.

You should have said before you started.You could have stopped off at mine in Bristol for virtual tea and cake, socially distanced of course, as you passed through.
puffin

Post by puffin »

Now you tell me!
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

puffin wrote:Now you tell me!

Are you coming up the West? Let me know when get to the border I’ll ride down to meet you and come back up so far :D
There’s a few virtual cafes along the route depending on how you’re feeling. :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Wonderful!
:D :D
Mick F. Cornwall
jondavies

Post by jondavies »

for a beginner how long should i allow if doign this as a charity fundraiser?
Daisyboi

Post by Daisyboi »

Just wondering if you have ridden the updated route Bill ans if you wouldn't mind sharing the updated file as I am planning to ride this myself but have no knowledge of any routes South of the Border. Many thanks
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

jondavies wrote:for a beginner how long should i allow if doign this as a charity fundraiser?

As a beginner I’d imagine you’ll avoid busy routes at all cost so you’ll be looking towards a total journey of towards 1000 mls.
As a beginner you’ll need to do some preparation and might get to being able to do 70 ml a day. Even with dedicated training you will still be without the experience of getting through a tough day which more experienced riders will have encountered in their past.
Theoretically then you might achieve it in 14days but if you want to enjoy it and reduce the risk of failure then I’d say you were looking at 18 days which gives you leeway for an off day and time to look around your surroundings.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
jondavies

Post by jondavies »

thanks guys, allowing 3 weks is fine by me to hopefully ensure success :)
puffin

Post by puffin »

Daisyboi wrote:Just wondering if you have ridden the updated route Bill ans if you wouldn't mind sharing the updated file as I am planning to ride this myself but have no knowledge of any routes South of the Border. Many thanks

Hi there, I've ridden to route (apart from the tweaks listed in this thread) a few times and I enjoyed it.
It does have a range of roads so be aware...and lots of hills. I could email you the accommodation list if you want.
puffin

Post by puffin »

I've booked up accommodation, all except one, so I'm off in three weeks!! Spikes permitting.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Sounds good - enjoy

a year ago today I started my lejog.

What a difference a year makes

Cheers James
puffin

Post by puffin »

Jamesh wrote:Sounds good - enjoy

a year ago today I started my lejog.