6-day LEJoG completed

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 31 May 2008, 1:32pm

Well done on your trip. :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

mattoneillinscotland

Good effort

Postby mattoneillinscotland » 11 Jul 2008, 10:24pm

I have just put a post on asking for info off people who have done a 5/6 day trip and would appreciate any advice.

Do you have a web site/diary or anything I could get a look at? Would be interested to see how you found the whole experience?

Cheers and well done again!!!!!

MATT

toontra

Postby toontra » 11 Jul 2008, 11:33pm

Hi Matt. Just to update this thread, here's my blog of the trip - http://6-daylejog.blogspot.com/

Ben Lovejoy

Postby Ben Lovejoy » 12 Jul 2008, 11:07pm

Amazing!
TRICE Q with Streamer fairing for the fun stuff
Brompton M3L for the commutery stuff
LEJOG blog: http://www.benlovejoy.com/cycle/tripreports/lejog/

mattoneillinscotland

Thanks

Postby mattoneillinscotland » 13 Jul 2008, 10:06am

Thanks very much I shall look forward to reading that.

Dee Jay

Postby Dee Jay » 13 Jul 2008, 2:10pm

Great blog! And well done!

This is very worrying .... I'm feeling more than a little inspired .....

And it looks as if a night at Shona and Alan's place is worth the journey!

I didn't realise that many of the cyclists I see hurtling along the A38 -where the 'Somerset' sign is - are probably doing LEJoG!

I don't think that I could do this on my own. You seemed to really enjoy company when you found some. As you said, it was good to be able to share the sense of achievement.

And to those who've not read the blog, Toontra has achieved this impressive time with an injury sustained just before the longest day on the road. Again: well done!

What's next?? :D
Dee

mattoneillinscotland

Interesting

Postby mattoneillinscotland » 13 Jul 2008, 7:44pm

Well that makes for an interesting read.

There is a significant lack of moaning and very few aches and pains on your blog. Is that because you wrote this long enough after the ride that the bad memories had faded or did you actually find it not too bad?

Apart from the longest section also being the hilliest, were you otherwise happy with your route selection?

Thanks and excellent blog!

Simon L6

Postby Simon L6 » 13 Jul 2008, 7:51pm

toontra - I'm just wildy impressed. The blog is really great. You're a star.

Ben Lovejoy

Re: Interesting

Postby Ben Lovejoy » 13 Jul 2008, 8:19pm

mattoneillinscotland wrote:There is a significant lack of moaning and very few aches and pains on your blog. Is that because you wrote this long enough after the ride that the bad memories had faded or did you actually find it not too bad?

If he did find it not too bad, given the time he did it in, can we agree that for the good of humanity the records of this achievement shall be forever expunged from the annals of history?

That way, if us mere mortals ever do it in three weeks, moaning all the way, no-one will ever have the basis for comparison.

Ben
TRICE Q with Streamer fairing for the fun stuff
Brompton M3L for the commutery stuff
LEJOG blog: http://www.benlovejoy.com/cycle/tripreports/lejog/

toontra

Re: Interesting

Postby toontra » 13 Jul 2008, 8:29pm

Thanks for all the kind words, chaps. I kept the blog fairly factual and brief - because of the route there was not really a great amount of detail to describe, just A-roads for mile on mile. One part of the country looked pretty much like another much of the time. This changed when I reached Scotland though. On day 3 I only took 3 photos - I think that says it all about the picturesqueness of that particular stretch!

mattoneillinscotland wrote:Well that makes for an interesting read.
There is a significant lack of moaning and very few aches and pains on your blog. Is that because you wrote this long enough after the ride that the bad memories had faded or did you actually find it not too bad?

The blog is more or less a transcript of the notes I made at the end of each day, so is a fairly accurate description of my feelings at the time. To be honest I didn't have a great deal to moan about - I was remarkably free of mechanical and physical ailments. It was almost exactly as I had imagined it would be.

mattoneillinscotland wrote:Apart from the longest section also being the hilliest, were you otherwise happy with your route selection?

I think so. The Race Against Time route looks like a variation on my route - http://www.theraceagainsttime.com/about.htm They're both direct with a lot of A roads. In retrospect I would have changed the stop-overs slightly. Day 2 was only about 130 miles and I actually had to twiddle my thumbs for a couple of hours waiting for the hostel to open. This was because I had booked the 1st 3 days accommodation when I was still planning a 7-day trip.

I'll be adding to the blog with final reflections (such as the above ideas), highs and lows, etc.

Rayb

6 day E2E

Postby Rayb » 14 Jul 2008, 9:30pm

Hats off to you! 6 days is no mean feat

jean

Postby jean » 14 Jul 2008, 9:53pm

I did it in 18 days for my 60th birthday but I have lots of pictures of my ride and you?

Lee jukes

Large Congrats!!

Postby Lee jukes » 24 Jul 2008, 8:40am

Well done! The head winds then a side wind sounds frustrating.
good man, well done :)

toontra

Re: Large Congrats!!

Postby toontra » 24 Jul 2008, 9:15am

Lee jukes wrote:Well done! The head winds then a side wind sounds frustrating.
good man, well done :)

The side winds were particularly nasty on the fifth day. It got to the point where, if I saw an HGV coming the other way, I slowed practically to a stop. If I didn't the resulting buffet of air caused by the vehicle punching a hole in the airflow was nearly enough to knock me sideways.

Bearing in mind this was on A-roads, that happened quite often!

toontra

Postby toontra » 23 Sep 2008, 8:18am

Just a bump to say the blog has been tidied up and some extra bits added to help those planning a fast LEJoG - http://6-daylejog.blogspot.com/