Europcar Penzance lift to hotel.

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
nun

Europcar Penzance lift to hotel.

Post by nun »

I plan to hire a car from London to drive down to Penzance and I'm thinking of staying at the Lands End YA. I can easily ride there, but in the Cicerone guide it mentions that Europcar will drive you and bike to your accommodation as part of their service. Has anyone done this? How does it work?
Cyril Haearn

Re: Europcar Penzance lift to hotel.

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Plenty of trains from London to Penzance, book in good time, much cheaper than hiring a vehicle
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I would've thought train was a lot less bother too, especially at the expense?
maybe box up your bike, take the wheels off and pack them to make the box smaller and manageable (that's what probably boxing the bike means?) Then you don't have to worry about the train takes bicycles, just sit on the train where you can see your bike all the time.
I've not done it but I'm just thinking maybe that's what I might do.
I'm sure somebody must make something like this –
The box with handles so you can carry it.
Some wheels so you can drag it easily.
I would add a remote alarm in the box, I bought a cheap wireless one with remote which also doubles as a rear light And a horn.
Arm the alarm When you doze off on the train
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

The mainline trains to Penzance don't need boxes - assuming you book. I would imagine that for a big trip like LeJog, booking a bike-space on the train is a small hassle.
Train is faster, more relaxing, better views. I'm not going to open the can-of-worms labelled "Cost?" !!!
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
I would add a remote alarm in the box, I bought a cheap wireless one with remote which also doubles as a rear light And a horn.

Very sorry about the going off-topic but do you have a link to the alarm please.
Thanks.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
nun

Post by nun »

I’ll be flying into LHR and visiting friends in London suburbs so it’s just far more convenient to have a car for a couple of days. I can then drive to Penzance and get there around noon. I’m now planning to ride out to Lands End in the afternoon.
DaveBeck

Post by DaveBeck »

According to Europcar's website they will pick up a vehicle from your destination, they certainly used to do that at Perranporth Airfield when I worked there. If that's the case you can drive right to the door of your accommodation. That's 15 miles in the rain (It's Cornwall, it rains a lot!) you won't have to do from Penzance.

Personally, having travelled long distance with a bike on a train in this Country, that's one stress I shan't be repeating!

Dave
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
cycleruk wrote:

Very sorry about the going off-topic but do you have a link to the alarm please.
Thanks.

I got mine from them.
1ST link delivers by 9th jan.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-In-1-Bicyc ... 2749.l2649
This is cheaper with similar feedback
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-In-1-Bike- ... SwTF1dX7fX
2020-01-06_151524.jpg
2020-01-06_151524.jpg (23.98 KiB) Viewed 1084 times

2020-01-06_145648.jpg

I used it for the alarm, the light is an extra...very loud, I had cables and a padlock to tie the bike to me overnight but I never found the need as the alarm would wake me just feet from my head.
Theres a frame and saddle bracket.

Edited - The light can be set on constant - fast flash - slow flash, so it will last much longer than the constant I stated up page.
robgul

Post by robgul »

cycleruk wrote:

Thanks.

I got mine from them.
1ST link delivers by 9th jan.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-In-1-Bicyc ... 2749.l2649
This is cheaper with similar feedback
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-In-1-Bike- ... SwTF1dX7fX
2020-01-06_151524.jpg
2020-01-06_145648.jpg
I used it for the alarm, the light is an extra...very loud, I had cables and a padlock to tie the bike to me overnight but I never found the need as the alarm would wake me just feet from my head.
Theres a frame and saddle bracket.

Edited - The light can be set on constant - fast flash - slow flash, so it will last much longer than the constant I stated up page.

I tried a (different) alarm a while ago - waste of time as it's only sensitive to vibration - someone just brushing against the bike (not an unreasonable scenario) or even a strong breeze set it off - really annoying and the idea was abadoned.

The spec on the ebay link says "When an alarm is locked, it is sensitive to vibrations."

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi
I used it for six nights.
Did not have any false alarms.
Set it of myself when it was armed outside shop / café trying to open top bag :)

What can I say...................plenty of cars parked near me, every time it rains they go off................all day all night.

1st touch it will go off for a few seconds..........2nd it will sound continuously..............well I never tried it that long.
Its sensitive to turning / vibration, it can be set in any position so bike laying down or upside down.

At that price its a bargain just for the light :)
Thinking I will buy another in case it later fails / malfunctions.
It will stay on my bike for sure.

Next time it rains I may place it outside, raining at the moment but need a downpour for a test.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Some observations.

The frame mount allows angled position so if you mount on a downtube like the seat tube frame between the tube and mudguard it will point straight back level (old steel frame, yours might not have enough room / too big diameter?) , or saddle pillar.
Luggage may well render the light useless of course.

The clamp angle adjusting screw with road vibration on a 23 mm 120 psi, would not hold it level.
I cant remember what I did but probably super glued it in that position.
Steel frame for me so your frame tube might be too big?
nun

Post by nun »

DaveBeck wrote:According to Europcar's website they will pick up a vehicle from your destination, they certainly used to do that at Perranporth Airfield when I worked there. If that's the case you can drive right to the door of your accommodation. That's 15 miles in the rain (It's Cornwall, it rains a lot!) you won't have to do from Penzance.

Personally, having travelled long distance with a bike on a train in this Country, that's one stress I shan't be repeating!

Dave

Thanks, I see that now. I looked at the prices and having Europcar pick the car up at the youth hostel adds $100 to the cost of the rental. I think I'll just drop it off at Penzance station and ride out to Land's End. It's only an hour.
DaveBeck

Post by DaveBeck »

Thanks, I see that now. I looked at the prices and having Europcar pick the car up at the youth hostel adds $100 to the cost of the rental. I think I'll just drop it off at Penzance station and ride out to Land's End. It's only an hour.[/quote]

Wow! That's a lot extra. In all seriousness, if the weather is good it is a nice ride down to Land's End. If you've got the time and daylight, go and have a look at Mousehole before you go further west, it's quite a pretty little harbour.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

nun wrote:I plan to hire a car from London to drive down to Penzance and I'm thinking of staying at the Lands End YA. I can easily ride there, but in the Cicerone guide it mentions that Europcar will drive you and bike to your accommodation as part of their service. Has anyone done this? How does it work?

I think(!) this was with Europcar.
Other companies send out two cars to ferry the driver out/back.
The firm I used several times drove your hire car out to pick you up and then ferried you back to the office where you filled in the paper work.
Same in reverse when you dropped the car off.
I assume there was a distance limit.
This was included in the hire but a quick look at the Europcar website suggests that it is now £5 each end.
PeterT

Post by PeterT »

One way van hire (2 persons) (Hertz or Thrifty?) next to Truro rail station. Train Truro to Penzance. Sat next to my bike on the train. Cycled Penzance stn to hotel. No need to box up your bike. Did it 2.5 years ago.