I've been thinking of LEJOG all wrong

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
nun
Posts: 24
Joined: 31 Dec 2019, 12:56am

I've been thinking of LEJOG all wrong

Postby nun » 7 Jan 2020, 11:11pm

I'm well into my LEJOG planning and after reading lots of blogs I realise that I've been thinking of LEJOG in the wrong way - well at least differently from many of the people that do it. I've been approaching it as a fairly leisurely tour carrying all my gear (tent, sleeping bag etc.), maybe taking a day or so off and after the first couple of days I really don't know where I'll stay or when I'll get there. Many of the rides I've read about are done on a rigorous schedule with all accommodation booked in advance, more of a multi-day randonneur.

User avatar
NATURAL ANKLING
Posts: 11219
Joined: 24 Oct 2012, 10:43pm
Location: English Riviera

Re: I've been thinking of LEJOG all wrong

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 7 Jan 2020, 11:29pm

Hi,
Don't worry, just take your camping gear and remain flexible, do it your own way.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

PH
Posts: 8142
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: I've been thinking of LEJOG all wrong

Postby PH » 8 Jan 2020, 12:00am

Do whatever you want, it's your ride.
Myself, I saw it as a challenge, to get from A to B. Like most I also had the time limit of my two weeks summer leave, which somewhat dictates the pace. Even without any restraints, I don't think I'd have done it as a tour, I've always found something that appeals more when looking to tour.

Oldjohnw
Posts: 2893
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: I've been thinking of LEJOG all wrong

Postby Oldjohnw » 8 Jan 2020, 1:46am

If I should ever do this I would take about three to four weeks.

Partly because of my own decrepitude and partly because I would view it as an opportunity to visit parts I've never been to before.
John

dim
Posts: 329
Joined: 12 May 2019, 5:59pm

Re: I've been thinking of LEJOG all wrong

Postby dim » 8 Jan 2020, 2:15am

I'm planning my LEJOG ride all along the East Coast up to Aberdeen then through Inverness and along the West Coast then to John O'Groats.

This will be a solo Wild Camping/ fishing trip, with every 2nd or 3rd day in a B&B or hotel. I will ride this on a Salsa Cutthroat bike with bike packing bags and with no time limit. I will try and ride as close to the coast as possible.

User avatar
Tigerbiten
Posts: 1987
Joined: 29 Jun 2009, 6:49am

Re: I've been thinking of LEJOG all wrong

Postby Tigerbiten » 8 Jan 2020, 5:08am

I've done LEJOG 3x that way with the minimum distance of the three being just over 2,000 miles.
So for me that the normal way I tour.

Luck .............. :D

eileithyia
Posts: 7834
Joined: 31 Jan 2007, 6:46pm
Location: Horwich Which is Lancs :-)

Re: I've been thinking of LEJOG all wrong

Postby eileithyia » 8 Jan 2020, 7:56am

I;ve had 2 ideas for it, take my time, enjoy the ride and visit places previously unseen and, since surgery, considering an 11 day sponsored ride.... 11 women die daily of ovarian cancer.

it's your ride do it your way.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

User avatar
Paulatic
Posts: 4472
Joined: 2 Feb 2014, 1:03pm
Location: 24 Hours from Lands End

Re: I've been thinking of LEJOG all wrong

Postby Paulatic » 8 Jan 2020, 8:47am

You can’t do it wrong you do it your way.
Capitalise on the fact you don’t have to fit it into a two week holiday period.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

Darkman
Posts: 144
Joined: 30 Aug 2019, 8:46pm

Re: I've been thinking of LEJOG all wrong

Postby Darkman » 8 Jan 2020, 9:26am

Been thinking about this myself.

I have never camped in my entire life and don't especially want to. Doing so on LEJOG would be a baptism of fire. Apart from that, where do you put your bike? Likewise if you take the B&B/hotel/hostel approach.

In the case of the latter I'd guess you'd have to book in advance, in which case your trip is only ever one broken spoke or buckled wheel from complete disaster if your daily mileage gets out of sync with your prebooked accommodation.

Think working out the logistics is even harder than the actual doing of it. :?

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 47831
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: I've been thinking of LEJOG all wrong

Postby Mick F » 8 Jan 2020, 9:31am

Paulatic wrote:You can’t do it wrong you do it your way.
Capitalise on the fact you don’t have to fit it into a two week holiday period.
Spot on.
Most folk only have so much time off work, so hence the desires for quick efficient routes.

I decided to do "all the best bits" so did a separate thing to an End2End, so did a Grand Tour.
Three weeks of Scotland, England and Wales.
Train to Edinburgh, then cycled to Inverness, then set off to the Far West then south doing Mull of Kintyre, Aran, Borders, Northumbria, North Yorkshire, Pennines, Lancashire, then North, West and Mid Wales, then home.
1,500 very enjoyable miles.

http://my-grand-tour.blogspot.com
Mick F. Cornwall

Vorpal
Moderator
Posts: 17747
Joined: 19 Jan 2009, 3:34pm
Location: Not there ;)

Re: I've been thinking of LEJOG all wrong

Postby Vorpal » 8 Jan 2020, 9:33am

nun wrote:I'm well into my LEJOG planning and after reading lots of blogs I realise that I've been thinking of LEJOG in the wrong way - well at least differently from many of the people that do it. I've been approaching it as a fairly leisurely tour carrying all my gear (tent, sleeping bag etc.), maybe taking a day or so off and after the first couple of days I really don't know where I'll stay or when I'll get there. Many of the rides I've read about are done on a rigorous schedule with all accommodation booked in advance, more of a multi-day randonneur.

It's not wrong to think of it however you want to do it. It's you LEJoG. Some people do it in a week (or less :shock: ) as a challenge or to raise money for a charity. I don't enjoy that sort of thing.

I have never toured with all of my accomodation booked in advance. The one time I tried, I was touring with my brother & a friend, and after the first few days we decided it was too much, cancelled most of the booked accommodation, and booked the rest of it 2 or 3 days in advance as we went. I hated being tied to schedule, and so did the others. We were using hostels & bunkhouses, and didnæt have any real tr

Have a look at https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/ lots of folks on there who done it in longer times and carrying camping gear. For example
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o= ... 20956&v=EB

Also, other folks on this forum have done or are planning to do JoGLE/LEJoG camping and over a longer time
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=133040
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=116021&p=1236913

More if you search the LEJoG sub forum on 'camping'.

Do it in your own time & enjoy yourself.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

Jamesh
Posts: 815
Joined: 2 Jan 2017, 5:56pm

Re: I've been thinking of LEJOG all wrong

Postby Jamesh » 8 Jan 2020, 3:53pm

Did 8 day lejog last June.

If I were to do it again I would take 2+ weeks stopping as and when you want to sight seeing and taking photos rather than constantly thinking I need to press on.

You only really need to book 1st night in Cornwall and then you can book each night at lunch time. The last night I booked in advance at thurso youth hostel and it wasn't the best choice.

If doing it peack time of July august it might be wise to book in lakes and glencoe areas.

Cheers James

nun
Posts: 24
Joined: 31 Dec 2019, 12:56am

Re: I've been thinking of LEJOG all wrong

Postby nun » 10 Jan 2020, 3:21am

Jamesh wrote:Did 8 day lejog last June.

If I were to do it again I would take 2+ weeks stopping as and when you want to sight seeing and taking photos rather than constantly thinking I need to press on.

You only really need to book 1st night in Cornwall and then you can book each night at lunch time. The last night I booked in advance at thurso youth hostel and it wasn't the best choice.

If doing it peack time of July august it might be wise to book in lakes and glencoe areas.

Cheers James


Thanks. The way I approach a tour is to keep the daily mileage flexible and let geography and places of interest dictate my schedule. I shoot for something between 50 and 80 miles so I can be finished riding by early afternoon and I can take time to sight see and get settled where ever I'm staying or pitch the tent. I'll be doing LEJOG in June and I've booked the first few nights in the SW...after that we'll see when I get there. Scotland might be a bit challenging for accommodation, but with hostels, hotels, B&Bs and AirBnB there should be options and I have my tent just in case. The last time I was in Glencoe was 30 years ago and I imagine I'll ride through to Fort William where there will be more rooms to choose from.

PH
Posts: 8142
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: I've been thinking of LEJOG all wrong

Postby PH » 10 Jan 2020, 9:38am

nun wrote:Thanks. The way I approach a tour is to keep the daily mileage flexible and let geography and places of interest dictate my schedule. I shoot for something between 50 and 80 miles so I can be finished riding by early afternoon and I can take time to sight see and get settled where ever I'm staying or pitch the tent. I'll be doing LEJOG in June and I've booked the first few nights in the SW...after that we'll see when I get there.

Just June? Doing the sort of touring you describe I wouldn't find a single month enough, if I ever do it again it'll be open ended and probably at least a 1,500 mile route with a bit of island hopping and a few days off the bike for tourism.
On my 11 day E2E I passed through many areas which I thought it'd be nice to go back and explore at a more leisurely pace. I think I've done most of those, and if I add those tours together with the less interesting bits in between, it couldn't be done in a month, more like three.

Vorpal
Moderator
Posts: 17747
Joined: 19 Jan 2009, 3:34pm
Location: Not there ;)

Re: I've been thinking of LEJOG all wrong

Postby Vorpal » 10 Jan 2020, 9:42am

PH wrote:
nun wrote:Thanks. The way I approach a tour is to keep the daily mileage flexible and let geography and places of interest dictate my schedule. I shoot for something between 50 and 80 miles so I can be finished riding by early afternoon and I can take time to sight see and get settled where ever I'm staying or pitch the tent. I'll be doing LEJOG in June and I've booked the first few nights in the SW...after that we'll see when I get there.

Just June? Doing the sort of touring you describe I wouldn't find a single month enough, if I ever do it again it'll be open ended and probably at least a 1,500 mile route with a bit of island hopping and a few days off the bike for tourism.
On my 11 day E2E I passed through many areas which I thought it'd be nice to go back and explore at a more leisurely pace. I think I've done most of those, and if I add those tours together with the less interesting bits in between, it couldn't be done in a month, more like three.


Most people do not have that kind of time, and folks in the US (the OP said they were flying from the US) get much less vacation time than in the UK.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom