iPhone navigation apps

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Express842

iPhone navigation apps

Postby Express842 » 11 Jan 2020, 9:28pm

I’m cycling using Strava on iPhone to track my cycling. What are the best apps to map a route into a sat nav that will then track me in route with stats on time speed etc whilst riding

DGG1941

Re: iPhone navigation apps

Postby DGG1941 » 16 Jan 2020, 6:06pm

Edit sorry, just realised that your post has the word iPhone in it, so the following not much use unless you borrow an old Android!

I use Locus Maps having downloaded my route from RideWithGPS. Locus runs on Android only and the pro version cost me £6. But I think they may be changing to a subscription service.

I’ve been using it for several years now and it is vastly superior, IMO, to a dedicated Garmin. Used it exclusively on a trip from Bilbao to the UK and it did an excellent job. Some highlights:
- touch screen scrolling etc
- display map with direction of travel or pointing North
- option to use volume buttons to zoom in/out - very useful when wearing gloves
- voice commands ahead of turns
- off route warning
- customizable overlays such as distance covered, average speed, distance to destination, % incline, % battery life in phone
- optional recalculation of route if lost!
- offline route planning with as many points on the route as you need
- offline list of POIs nearby, showing distances
- outstanding support from the Locus team, with frequent updates and improvements at no cost.

The downsides - power hungry so i use mine connected to a power supply - but there is an option to turn the screen on only when approaching a turn, or when waving your hand over the phone. And the learning curve is moderately high but there are excellent online instructions and being able to set it up exactly as you want it is very satisfying!

nun

Re: iPhone navigation apps

Postby nun » 16 Jan 2020, 7:24pm

I also found RidewithGPS and it looks like a good solution. I have downloaded the Cicerone and Ride Across Britain routes and I'll pay for a couple of months upgrade so I can get the offline and navigation features for my trip.