Getting home from John O'Groats

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
PH

Re: Getting home from John O'Groats

Post by PH »

cycleruk wrote:Just been testing the water, :wink:
Currently a train ticket = £132. That is Wick to Lancaster with two changes.
I did come across a ticket for Wick to Glasgow for £32 but would then need to get on to Lancashire.

There's not much point in looking until around 12 weeks before, you'll probably just get the standard fare.
I looked at a random date within the 12 weeks and Wick to Lancaster can be had for £42, ticket splitting see earlier posts.
Travel however you want, but the dozen times I've taken my bike to Scotland it's been cheap and simple. To me all the alternatives posted look like more hassle at an increased cost, with the only benefit being maybe saving a few hours.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Have a look at prices for today and tomorrow just for fun, might well be that very late bookings are good value

As Cunobelin of this parish pointed out, pricing changes a lot and may seem illogical, worth checking several times a day
Prices go down as well as up :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I think if you’re not used to using train + bike it can be a bit daunting. We all read of journeys that go wrong and refusal of allowing bikes. It’s as well to be aware these things can happen.
But...
IMOE I’ve been travelling the north of England and Scotland by train with bike for the last 7 years and I’ve never had a hitch. Everything has been good and I now know where the bike carriage is on all the trains :D
Last year I had to take an Oban train later than I liked because earlier trains were booked. With the super duper carriage this year even that chance should diminish.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Paulatic wrote:I think if you’re not used to using train + bike it can be a bit daunting. We all read of journeys that go wrong and refusal of allowing bikes. It’s as well to be aware these things can happen.
But...
IMOE I’ve been travelling the north of England and Scotland by train with bike for the last 7 years and I’ve never had a hitch. Everything has been good and I now know where the bike carriage is on all the trains :D
Last year I had to take an Oban train later than I liked because earlier trains were booked. With the super duper carriage this year even that chance should diminish.

Nail on the head so to speak. I have only taken the bike on the train once, a few years ago, and only for a short journey. Previously using trains for transporting a bike was when guards vans were still in use. :lol:
To me the hardest part of planning something like LeJoG is getting to the start or back from the finish. The cycling bit in the middle is relatively easy. :roll: :wink:
You'll never know if you don't try it.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

cycleruk wrote:To me the hardest part of planning something like LeJoG is getting to the start or back from the finish. The cycling bit in the middle is relatively easy. :roll: :wink:

This is one of the big things putting me off. There are so many nice circular trips I could do instead, or A-Bs in foreign lands (with more bike-friendly trains). But I appreciate the huge draw of LEJOG to some, so please ignore my negativity! Maybe 1 day ...
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

The best trip must be lejogle...

Ask MickF!

About 1-2months should suit!

Happy days

Cheers James
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes.

When people get to JOG from LE, they have all been fretting about how to get home.
They are sitting on the best form of transport known to man.

Turn round and ride home! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Mick F wrote:Yes.

When people get to JOG from LE, they have all been fretting about how to get home.

Fine if you have the time and no other commitments.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

That's why people want to ride it in a fortnight?

I did JOGLE in ten days, so no doubt I could have done LEJOG in ten days too. Had I lived in the north of England (like I used to) it would have taken me another four or five days to ride home from JOG.

That's fifteen days LE to JOG and then to Wigan.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I'd be tempted to get the train to Bristol or Exeter and ride from there.

Also then ride back down to Edinburgh too.

Get to see double of the best bits!

Cheers James
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Mick F wrote:Yes.

Part of it is a mental thing. You're riding LEJOG - so when you get to JOG, you've finished. The idea of then riding another 4 or 5 days, well I can see how that would not appeal to many people who have ridden LEJOG. They feel like they've got to the finish line, not just another point on a cycle tour. I actually feel it would lose part of its appeal if it LE and JOG were just two points on an overall cycle tour.

And yeah, the point as well about needing the time and money to spend 3 weeks cycle touring.
Jackson

Post by Jackson »

I found it easy to book a train from West Yorkshire to LE (and cheap). I had no idea how long it would take me to get to JOG so I planned on just turning up at Wick station. On the way up I started thinking about perhaps cycling back to Inverness or even Edinburgh. I decided I'd play it by ear and in the end I cycled the whole way back. So I'd agree it's worth thinking about.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Exactly!

I did JOGLE in 1994 because I was in the RN and my ship was in Scotland and I wasn't required for a fortnight, so took the train to Wick, stayed overnight, then rode to JOG and then to Helmsdale. Worked my way to LE over the next ten days. Living in Cornwall, it was simple to get home.

In 2006, people were suggesting I did LEJOG, but I did LEJOG and BACK. 1,800miles in three weeks. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Darkman

Post by Darkman »

Mick F wrote:In 2006, people were suggesting I did LEJOG, but I did LEJOG and BACK. 1,800miles in three weeks. :D

Now do it on a Raleigh Chopper! :mrgreen:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Both ways?
Could have done it, I'm sure.
I loved that beast, and I wish I'd never sold it.

Chopper+Trailer.JPG
Mick F. Cornwall