A diferent direction

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
peregrino

A diferent direction

Postby peregrino » 4 Feb 2020, 10:07pm

Hello,
Before of all, sorry for my enghish sometimes. I live in Portugal and I want to do this big ride this year.

Tell me, do you do this route by road or off road? I´m planning GB Divide in bikepacking and the start/end point are the same but the route is 50/50 offroad. This route has about 2000kms.

And what are your opinion about start in John O'Groats? It´s easier for me to be near the point of extration (airport of london) if anything goes wrong.

thanks in advance

Ricardo

Jamesh

Re: A diferent direction

Postby Jamesh » 5 Feb 2020, 4:12pm

Most do it on road, south to north, 10-14 days typically.

GB divide is 50/50 as you say.

Getting out of John o groats is harder than lands end but the winds are generally south to north east.

Cheers James

peregrino

Postby peregrino » 5 Feb 2020, 6:42pm

Jamesh wrote:Most do it on road, south to north, 10-14 days typically.

GB divide is 50/50 as you say.

Getting out of John o groats is harder than lands end but the winds are generally south to north east.

Cheers James

Thanks James,
You give me a good tip about the wind. In june is it really strong? I´ve been in Patagónia before.
Do you think the terrain (meters of climing is worst?)

Cheers,

Ricardo

Jamesh

Postby Jamesh » 6 Feb 2020, 6:52pm

No the wind is variable can even be north to south sometimes. Just the majority of time it's south to north.

It's hilly in Cornwall and Devon then flatter till the north of England up to Scotland.

But there are routes which take the sting out the hills.

Cheers James

Jamesh

Postby Jamesh » 6 Feb 2020, 6:55pm

The GB divide route will be tough. They won't take the a49 / a6!

Cheers James

peregrino

Postby peregrino » 9 Feb 2020, 11:06am

Jamesh wrote:The GB divide route will be tough. They won't take the a49 / a6!

Cheers James

Yes, I know. I don´t like Tarmac. I have good roads near the coast in Portugal.

Let´s ride

LittleGreyCat

Postby LittleGreyCat » 10 Feb 2020, 9:27pm

peregrino wrote:Hello,
Before of all, sorry for my enghish sometimes. I live in Portugal and I want to do this big ride this year.

<snip>

And what are your opinion about start in John O'Groats? It´s easier for me to be near the point of extration (airport of london) if anything goes wrong.
<snip>

JOGLE is an accepted way.
Less popular, but a lot of people do it.
I'm planning to do JOGLE this year because the hills near Lands End are allegedly much tougher than those near John O'Groats and I intend to build my fitness during the trip.

It should be possible to get from London to Thurso or Wick by train in one day from London, or overnight on the sleeper.

Sensible to spend the first part of the trip cycling towards London - well, across the other side of the country but easy access.

Have a look around the forum for routes.
There are fast and slow options, hilly and less hills.

peregrino

Postby peregrino » 22 Feb 2020, 12:14pm

LittleGreyCat wrote:
peregrino wrote:Hello,

<snip>

<snip>

JOGLE is an accepted way.
Less popular, but a lot of people do it.
I'm planning to do JOGLE this year because the hills near Lands End are allegedly much tougher than those near John O'Groats and I intend to build my fitness during the trip.

It should be possible to get from London to Thurso or Wick by train in one day from London, or overnight on the sleeper.

Sensible to spend the first part of the trip cycling towards London - well, across the other side of the country but easy access.

Have a look around the forum for routes.
There are fast and slow options, hilly and less hills.

LittleGreyCat,

Thanks a lot. I though that the Scotlands highlands wore more tougher...

I will start in Lands End because the winds direction. Is bad in wales
Ricardo