OK - JOGLE September 2020 it is!

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
LittleGreyCat

OK - JOGLE September 2020 it is!

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Living in interesting times and I was bouncing between May and September for JOGLE dates.
I've now decided (for today anyway) that it is September.
I plan to post each route for the day here, plus some comments if I have the energy.
This will also be a supported ride.
I hope to have at least one spare bike on the roof of the car.

Complete route (avoiding hills where possible) https://cycle.travel/route/lejog_east_coast/guide but done in reverse as in https://cycle.travel/map/journey/122770

Getting there - driving around 220 miles per day to keep it nice and relaxed. Starting Wednesday 2nd September 2020.
Day 1 to Leeming.
Day 2 to Perth.
Day 3 to Keiss

JOGLE - starting Saturday 5th September 2020.
Day 1 to Bettyhill 49.8 miles https://cycle.travel/map/journey/135022
Day 2 to Lairg 45.6 miles https://cycle.travel/map/journey/135023
Day 3 to Cromarty 42.6 miles https://cycle.travel/map/journey/135025

I am hoping by that point that I will have a clearer view of my capabilities (and the weather) and can book the rest of the trip "on the fly".

I am hoping to average 50 miles per day for the 1091 mile trip and so do it in 22 days.
[I have noted that my nice relaxed 220 miles in the car is not far off the mileage for a 5 day JOGLE on a bike, but I don't care!]
PH

Re: OK - JOGLE September 2020 it is!

Post by PH »

If you like, I could plot you a cycletravel route in my area - say Carlton to Meriden - that avoided going up to Southwell only to drop straight back down again and also avoid of the urban areas around Nottingham.
On the first day, you might consider a trip to Dunnet Head, the most Northerly point, if for no other reason than to say you had... the A road that goes along that section is fine.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

PH wrote:If you like, I could plot you a cycletravel route in my area - say Carlton to Meriden - that avoided going up to Southwell only to drop straight back down again and also avoid of the urban areas around Nottingham.
On the first day, you might consider a trip to Dunnet Head, the most Northerly point, if for no other reason than to say you had... the A road that goes along that section is fine.

Thank you - very kind.
An optimised route around Nottingham would be very helpful.

We have already visited that coast during a holiday at Durness a few years back.
I didn't realise that Scapa Flow was so close.
Also, I think that on the first day I will be concentrating on getting to the hotel!
Although my support driver might be up for an excursion or two if I arrive early.
PH

Post by PH »

LittleGreyCat wrote:
PH wrote:If you like, I could plot you a cycletravel route in my area - say Carlton to Meriden - that avoided going up to Southwell only to drop straight back down again and also avoid of the urban areas around Nottingham.

Thank you - very kind.
An optimised route around Nottingham would be very helpful.

The determining choice for this section is where to cross the Trent - there's no options between Newark and Gunthorpe, the latter puts you on course to do a fair bit of urban Nottingham or quite a few additional miles to avoid it, for this reason and because I prefer the roads I'd choose Newark.
On the original route this section is 76 miles with 1,000 meters of climbing (I do wish cycletravel didn't mix units...) The route plotted below adds 6 miles and surprisingly still says 1,000 meters of climbing, though IMO they're easier climbs, more rolling, less long drags.
Anyway, this is what I'd do
https://cycle.travel/map/journey/141181
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

I see that your route takes you via the Nigg Cromarty Ferry. Be aware that this is a summer only service operating between May and mid September. Also the chances of a cancellation due to bad weather are more likely in September.

The alternative route using the B9176 Struie Road to Evanton and Dingwall is well worth considering.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Norman H wrote:I see that your route takes you via the Nigg Cromarty Ferry. Be aware that this is a summer only service operating between May and mid September. Also the chances of a cancellation due to bad weather are more likely in September.

The alternative route using the B9176 Struie Road to Evanton and Dingwall is well worth considering.

Thanks.
Sod's Law dictates that I've booked accommodation in Cromarty but it might be a chance to extend day 3 a little.
Of slightly more concern is that it is a 2 car ferry so the support vehicle might have a wait if it is busy.
I do like using ferries, but point taken.

Must ask Richard about mapping and seasonal ferries.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Just noting that at the moment I am assuming that

(1) I (and my beautiful assistant) will have avoided or survived COVID-19 by September

(2) The UK isn't in lock down at that point.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Day 3 The route you have chosen between Invershin and Ardgay is a pleasantly quiet rural road but requires you to carry your bike up a flight of steps at the railway bridge across the Shin. Going via Bonar Bridge is a more level route and carries a little more motor trafic but overall distances are similar. By the time you have reached Invershin you will have gauged the volume of motor traffic and can see the flight of steps on the south side of the river and can decide there and then which option to choose.
Between Tain and Nigg, you might consider dipping down to the villages of Hilton, Balintore and Shandwick, a little more interesting than bypassing these villages! There is a shop in Balintore and also an eating place at the harbour. There are no facilities at Nigg, just a bus shelter!
Lilyf

Post by Lilyf »

404A65BE-8B93-4459-877D-8DE38783B267.jpeg

That flight of steps is awful. You can see from my picture that they are all metal. And, actually, there are two flights - one at each end of the bridge. We had to unload our bikes and carry our panniers and our bikes down the steps. Reload our bikes to push them along the footbridge and then do the same at the far end. We rejoined the main road, which we had left earlier to follow the cycle route, and the main road certainly wasn’t very busy. It would have been far easier and quicker to stay on the road. Edited: hubby says the route along the main road is shorter!
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

OK - thanks @Lilyf and @Ron.

I can see the bit highlighted in green on the map.

I will provisionally go on the other side because climbing steps isn't my favourite pastime.

Edit: just tried planning Invershin to Ardgay on Cycle.Travel and that takes the main road.
Ah! Has switched over to "paved only" which explains that.
Decisions, decisions.
I won't be carrying much but my Spa Wayfarer is made frae irn girders.
Hmmm....MTB day?
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Sadly I think this will have to be postponed.
Unless there is a vaccine which is 100% by September the risk of B&B is far too high.
No sense in getting infected, nor of my support driver catching Covid-19 either.

Perhaps 2021?
Although 2022 is looking more likely with the predictions of the pandemic lasting 18 months to 2 years.
1982john

Post by 1982john »

As long as no one's in the at risk category I think September is going to be ok.

Look at other countries that are a little ahead of us. They are coming out of lockdowns and plan to have tourism by mid July.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

If the "at risk" you refer to is anyone who qualifies for the flu jab, then we are both at risk.

There is also the arbitrary figure of aged 70 years.
Given that the aim is to end on or near my 70th Birthday that is another risk factor to be taken into consideration.
They are even talking at the moment of banning over 70s from leaving the home.
However I may leave my age related documents at home, and see if they decide to age check everyone who is outside.

Hmmm.....will the supermarket cashier refuse to serve you alcohol if you are under 18 or over 70?
Be strange to be IDd for being too old not too young.

Anyway, we are hoping to avoid catching Covid-19 until there is a treatment or a vaccine.
Without a lock down or serious social distancing (which may be difficult in hotels and B&Bs) the risk of infection is high.
Estimates of current infections are useless, but if we guess at 10% to 15% of the country then there are still an awful lot of unprotected people to catch and spread the disease if we start moving around again.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

1982john wrote:As long as no one's in the at risk category I think September is going to be ok.

Look at other countries that are a little ahead of us. They are coming out of lockdowns and plan to have tourism by mid July.

This is good news.
I've not been able to find anything to confirm your thoughts.
What did you view?
Looking forward to those French back roads and the Black Forrest.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
1982john

Post by 1982john »

LittleGreyCat wrote:If the "at risk" you refer to is anyone who qualifies for the flu jab, then we are both at risk.

There is also the arbitrary figure of aged 70 years.
Given that the aim is to end on or near my 70th Birthday that is another risk factor to be taken into consideration.
They are even talking at the moment of banning over 70s from leaving the home.
However I may leave my age related documents at home, and see if they decide to age check everyone who is outside.

Hmmm.....will the supermarket cashier refuse to serve you alcohol if you are under 18 or over 70?
Be strange to be IDd for being too old not too young.

Anyway, we are hoping to avoid catching Covid-19 until there is a treatment or a vaccine.
Without a lock down or serious social distancing (which may be difficult in hotels and B&Bs) the risk of infection is high.
Estimates of current infections are useless, but if we guess at 10% to 15% of the country then there are still an awful lot of unprotected people to catch and spread the disease if we start moving around again.

You're at the at-risk group if you've had a text from the government. It's about 1.2 million people - my mum had one.

For sure though being around 70 and a bloke puts you in a higher than most risk. So you will have to decide for yourself how you want to spend the next 12 - 18 months before a vaccine to comes in.

One option might be getting a caravan? Then you only need food supplies every few days....