Comments on our May 2020 LEJOG route

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
cycleruk

Re: Comments on our May 2020 LEJOG route

Post by cycleruk »

nickyboy wrote:Having met up in September 2019 and planned a May 2020 LEJOG, which became September 2020 LEJOG, which became May 2021 LEJOG, we have hopefully made our final rescheduling....June 29-July 9. All the accommodation is rebooked which was a trial in itself what with everyone staycationing. Couldn't get anything decent near LE so we are staying in Penzance so have to decide whether to do the first 10 miles when we arrive in Cornwall or tag it onto our first official day

Day before. 10 miles x 2. :wink:
Might depend on weather but if the day before then you could possibly do a bit of sight seeing as well.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Jamesh wrote:[

Did I missed a good bakery.?

Cheers James

More than likely :wink: you were in a rush.
That was Harry Gow's after the Kessock bridge. Bet you missed the award winning pie shop in Pepper lane Standish too. https://www.lifeofpies.co.uk/buy/the-to ... -in-wigan/
Also if you didn’t stop at the Cornerstone cafe in Evanton for the most welcoming meal of the whole ride then i would think it’s compulsory you have to ride it again.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Guilty as charged sir!

Breakfast was at a spoons, supermarket cafe or b+b.

It was my rule that I would eat on the fly during the day if it wasn't raining. Which it didn't tbh.

Evening wise did a transport cafe in the boarders, fish and chips in Inverness, posh restaurant in thurso and several spoons of course. + about 3 hotel meals which were pretty decent.

Cheers James
Ron

Post by Ron »

Jamesh wrote:Did I missed a good bakery.? That's it dear cannot do the summer holiday this year as I missed the bakery in the A9 so need to do lejog again! Cheers James

Yes you do miss the bakery going the low level route, but going by the higher level route you miss a small restaurant and a convenience store.
Take your choice!
nickyboy

Post by nickyboy »

Bit of a thread resurrection..

We head down to Penzance on Monday June 28, do Penzance - LE - Penzance and then set off "proper" from Penzance to Camelford on Tuesday June 29

All accommodation booked (good job looking at availability now) and we have even booked some evening meals as several stops only have one pub (like Camelford, Tebay, Brora) and it looks like they may still be on reduced occupancy

This weekend is the bikepacking test (and fitness test). 100 flattish miles around Cheshire on Saturday, 80 hillier miles down towards Stoke and back Sunday. Bike service next week, couple more weeks of getting the miles in, a week of rest and then we're off. It's all we talk about on our rides these day.....
Lilyf

Post by Lilyf »

Hi Nickyboy,
Re my post on page 1 regarding Sandy Lane in Congleton. Day 5 mile 11.
According to a cycling friend Sandy Lane, Congleton has very recently reopened as a bike only road.
However, he says to watch out for the kerbs at the lower end!
Enjoy your LEJOG.
nickyboy

Post by nickyboy »

We are actually using Sandy Lane tomorrow on our Cheshire Century but thanks for the update!
nickyboy

Post by nickyboy »

Currently back home in Glossop having completed Days 1-5
D1 LE-Camelford
D2 Camelford-Wellington
D3 Wellington-Gloucester
D4 Gloucester-Crewe
D5 Crewe-Glossop

It's been great so far. Weather (except today when it rained constantly for the 40 miles home from Crewe) has been perfect.

D1 was all about the beaches and coves of N Cornwall. D2 was the picture perfect Devon villages. D3 was the open vistas of the Somerset levels. D4...hmm, more of a transitional day

We have taken great pleasure in eating loads of local specialities...seafood in Penzance, cream teas in Newquay, Cornish pasties. Only disappointment was that the faggots were out of stock in W Midlands. And plenty of local beers

Off to Tebay via Clitheroe tomorrow morning. JoG by Friday
nickyboy

Post by nickyboy »

So what did we learn from our LEJOG, our first multi-day tour?

1) So long as you keep feeding and watering it, the body can handle a lot of punishment
2) Getting properly organised for morning departure and stops makes a huge difference to time available to destination
3) You can survive on surprisingly little kit if you're not camping and its summer (mine was 3kg all in)
4) Chatting with folk along the way is great and people are so generous when they hear you're riding for charity
5) Devon and Cornwall are the hilliest but they aren't really hilly. Scotland is very easy cycling
6) Time spent route planning was time well spent. We barely touched busy roads but still did it in 940 miles
7) Shoes don't dry overnight
8) Prepare for the worst re mechanicals, expect the best. We had one puncture and that was that
schneewehe

Post by schneewehe »

Hello, is your route suitable for road bikes? Would you provide your gpx track? Kind regards schneewehe
nickyboy

Post by nickyboy »

Yes it is. I rode it on a carbon road bike with 28mm tyres without any problems at all. I don't recall any unmetalled roads

I'll DM you the routefiles

Nickyboy
Jules59

Post by Jules59 »

nickyboy wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 7:08pm So what did we learn from our LEJOG, our first multi-day tour?

1) So long as you keep feeding and watering it, the body can handle a lot of punishment
2) Getting properly organised for morning departure and stops makes a huge difference to time available to destination
3) You can survive on surprisingly little kit if you're not camping and its summer (mine was 3kg all in)
4) Chatting with folk along the way is great and people are so generous when they hear you're riding for charity
5) Devon and Cornwall are the hilliest but they aren't really hilly. Scotland is very easy cycling
6) Time spent route planning was time well spent. We barely touched busy roads but still did it in 940 miles
7) Shoes don't dry overnight
8) Prepare for the worst re mechanicals, expect the best. We had one puncture and that was that
I would add
9) Look after your bum - apply treatment asap if getting any soreness - there are no free days to allow a period of recovery.

"Scotland is very easy cycling" We went via The Letch - that was quite hilly :lol:
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Look after your bum
Some Audax riders I know wear two pairs of shorts. I'm not sure how comfortable that would be. It's been some years since I used chamois cream, but from my observation and comments I get, the more fatty your bum is, the more you might suffer. :roll:
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Tiggertoo wrote: 4 May 2022, 3:11pm
Look after your bum
Some Audax riders I know wear two pairs of shorts. I'm not sure how comfortable that would be. It's been some years since I used chamois cream, but from my observation and comments I get, the more fatty your bum is, the more you might suffer. :roll:
I used two pairs of shorts on the last 2 days as the weather got noticeably colder and my bum sorer!

I did it on a spa saddle that I thought I had broken in....in hindsight I think a selle turbo would have been a better idea!
Blondie

Post by Blondie »

Tiggertoo wrote: 4 May 2022, 3:11pm
Look after your bum
Some Audax riders I know wear two pairs of shorts.
If anyone is doing that, then their saddle is somewhat wrong for their anatomy, or they have some strange fetish.