Does the Covid-19 virus outbreak make LeJoG too risky ?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
AlanInBangor

Re: Does the Covid-19 virus outbreak make LeJoG too risky ?

Post by AlanInBangor »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
I am still planning june, maybe I might get lucky by then.

Good luck but I'll be surprised if it's all clear by then, YHA have announced its hostels will close until the end of July.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

I’d at least wait until the cafes, bars, restaurants, and the like are allowed to reopen fully. Then there won’t be any significant issues.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Be next year then!
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
AlanInBangor wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
I am still planning june, maybe I might get lucky by then.

Good luck but I'll be surprised if it's all clear by then, YHA have announced its hostels will close until the end of July.

Well I will be wild camping, and co-ops / spar shops / petrol station shops etc.
I did use cafes on coastal ride last year, but a sandwhich etc will do.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Ellieb

Post by Ellieb »

Yes. What happens if you catch it part of the way along?
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Ellieb wrote:Yes. What happens if you catch it part of the way along?

I Will be XXXXXX :mrgreen:
I will only consider doing it if all the regulations allow us to do that sort of thing.
I will not go against the advice of the authorities for sure.
Also I am in a vulnerable group, so I'm not going to take any unnecessary risks.
I already take measures to limit any contact with other people, my partner catches a cold at work, and I automatically take measures not to pick it up.
Years ago I realise that it's very easy to pick up the cold if you work in a group of people.
I didn't catch a cold but everybody else had one.
I was the only one who didn't touch the Kettle before I had my food.
I realise this is not the same as the coronavirus.
But like I said I already take safety measures.
we all know that the current measures are likely to become more restrictive.
Most probably that all restrictions won't be lifted for say four months or even more?
I will probably do some sort of ride but it won't be the full Monty.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Paulatic wrote:I used to do a full day at work on a packet of chocolate digestives in my pocket. That was after breakfast and before dinner mind you :D

Am planning to use this period to consume all those weird cycling gels I have never been able to face. Won't be getting any more.
I also have a 5kg bag of maltodextrin i bought recently on a special special offer. I find it ok but was wondering how i would get through it.
A quick back of an envelope calculation with my dodgy maths seems to indicate that even if bricked up i could pretty easily survive on it for 14 days.
Sweep
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Better pad the walls first! :D
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

LollyKat wrote:Better pad the walls first! :D

I'd be fine. :)
Thank god I don't use wider social media or there might be a run on maltodextrin.

Would supplement with veg.

Migh tend up healthier.

(for cycling I usually use my home made cycling snack but it uses a lot of oats - harder to get hold of at the moment I think)
Sweep
Chris Ince

Post by Chris Ince »

Don’t do it. You will not be welcome up here in Scotland.Most places for food and accommodation are closed. If you go in to a small rural store or filling station, you could compromise the wellbeing of the whole community. Please wait until we have better and healthier days in this country and you will be welcomed with open arms.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Beware of all the links, as has been said.

We were in the highlands on a pre-booked holiday. we wrre able to keed distances and by eating in our room effectively self-isolate ourselves. Duringthe day we would travel, but again maintain distances, so were reasonably compliant.

However, we did have issues where things began to close down. Our ferry back from Mull was the last day they were carrying booked traffic, and the sleeper in Glasgow was also looking at limiting services. When we reached Waterloo, there was an uncertain train service as well.

The logistics will all be difficult

Also (as above) these communities do have true isolation, don't break that
puffin

Post by puffin »

I'd canceled my trip a few weeks back, and it seems from these posts we would all do the same. I don't agree with all the comments, for example the one about travelling up the country spreading the virus, I'd have very limited contact with people, other than those landlords and ladies I have come to know and I greet them with hugs and kisses. However, because of the current situation this time there would have been no tongues.
Also somebody pointedly asked if there would have been a train journey at the end, well, yes, I managed to blag the last of four berths with my local Over 70's Asthma and COPD Support Club who were making a trip at the same time. I've lost a great price there.
Chris Ince

Post by Chris Ince »

Sarcasm is the worst form of wit and is not becoming of a Cycling UK member. I will repeat, to come up to northern Scotland and to interact with its remote communities, many of which have an ageing population, would be irresponsible. Just to let you know, police are pulling in cars having checked their registration number, ( and are likely to check cyclists)those found not to be local are given on the spot fines. Puffin, not helpful with your cavalier throw away remarks, over seventy years old, or not.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Agree with what Chris Ince said ^^.

Government guidelines are very clear:
essential journeys - like going to get food and medicine - as infrequently as possible
going to work if you are a key worker
ONE form of exercise per day - a walk/run/cycle in your local area
for urgent medical needs

Sadly, going on a jolly from one end of the country to the other doesn't count for any of those.
There's nothing open - accommodation, cafes etc and the shops that are open are extremely limited in their stocks. Bike shops, while mostly open, are largely doing urgent booked-in repair work only under "quarantine" conditions (ie no customers in the actual shop, you hand the bike over outside) so not exactly somewhere you can just bimble into and ask them to replace your broken spoke while you wait.

No-one wants you travelling, you're likely to be met with a hostile response especially in Scotland (more remote, fewer facilities). Travel to and from the start/finish is likely to be extremely problematic. You'll be turned around if you try and drive it, you'll be persona non grata if you rock up to a train in full touring kit and everyone else there is a key worker trying to get to/from work in challenging times.

And then there's the risk of your journey being cut short by the police.

LE and JOG will still be there next year and the year after. Ride it when people will welcome your business, not when they'll tell you to **** off.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
What's this do it next year all about?
When eventually restrictions are lifted are you saying that if we want to do anything at all it will have to be 2021?

Sounds like it.
I for one won't be going anywhere until restrictions are lifted, I won't be giving anyone a excuse to club me to death in some remote part of the north, like when I'm cycling down the road adjacent to a cycle path and some car winds the window down and swears at me and tells me to get on the path and off the road.