Working towards a LeJoG in September

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Paulatic

Re: Working towards a LeJoG in September

Post by Paulatic »

A great achievement @bluelagos.
Can you do me a favour and keep that route well hidden. 90+K of climbing :cry:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Brianjeff50

Post by Brianjeff50 »

bluelagos wrote:Made it in one piece, 63 miles according to my phone app.

Got a thorough soaking around midday, but tbf had superb weatber overall.

Saw quite a few JogLers in the last few miles approaching Wick and then JoG. Good luck to them all.

Congratulations - really well done. Sounds like you had a pretty tough trip in parts but it’s worth it now! Time for a few beers in the Seaview and a wee dram or three of whisky.
bluelagos

Post by bluelagos »

Paulatic wrote:A great achievement @bluelagos.
Can you do me a favour and keep that route well hidden. 90+K of climbing :cry:

Is ridiculous isnt it. We trained for a tour that wasm1050 miles with max 6k and plenty of 2-4k days. Then they cancelled and we end up on one doing 1250 miles and majority of days were 6k...

Not ideal but charachter building!
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I'd like to know what route took you to Skipton?

Did you visit hull or newcastle enroute too??

Cheers James
nickyboy

Post by nickyboy »

Jamesh wrote:I'd like to know what route took you to Skipton?

Cheers James

My guess would be Long Hill to Whaley Bridge, Glossop (where I live), Holme Moss (!), Slaithwaite, Sowerby Bridge then somewehre like Oxenhope, Skipton
That's a proper nutter's route

Our LEJOG Day 6 is Glossop to Tebay. 96 miles and 5k ft of climbing by comparison. First 40 miles aren't the most scenic but after that it's ace. Not sure why anyone would incorporate a day like Buxton-Skipton right through the High Peak on a LEJOG
bluelagos

Post by bluelagos »

nickyboy wrote:
Jamesh wrote:I'd like to know what route took you to Skipton?

Cheers James

My guess would be Long Hill to Whaley Bridge, Glossop (where I live), Holme Moss (!), Slaithwaite, Sowerby Bridge then somewehre like Oxenhope, Skipton
That's a proper nutter's route

Our LEJOG Day 6 is Glossop to Tebay. 96 miles and 5k ft of climbing by comparison. First 40 miles aren't the most scenic but after that it's ace. Not sure why anyone would incorporate a day like Buxton-Skipton right through the High Peak on a LEJOG

So we srarted at Buxton that day. Place names I recall include Holme Moss, Sowerby and Hebden Bridge. Have the Gpx files if anyone is mad enough to want to follow thsm.

The day we did this one there was a sportive coming the other way. They were doing well over 100 miles including Holme Moss and the Cat and fiddle. Both in much harder directions than our route apparently. Some of them were flying up the hills too...
bluelagos

Post by bluelagos »

nickyboy wrote:
Jamesh wrote: Not sure why anyone would incorporate a day like Buxton-Skipton right through the High Peak on a LEJOG

The guy who pulled it together wanted it to be far more than simple LeJog, hence the island hopping in Scotland. Ultimately it wasnt the trip for novices, we messed up in booking what we thought was a similar one to the one that cancelled on us.

But I did 1261 less the 43 so did most of it. Official climbs of guy who did it were 91k and I google mapped the bits I missed and worked out my ascents were 89k

And it gives me an excuse to try a self supported, flatter route next year. George can'-t walk without a zimmer but was out on his bike this week. Had to drop the bike on his lawn to get off it :D
Brianjeff50

Post by Brianjeff50 »

bluelagos wrote:
nickyboy wrote:
Jamesh wrote: Not sure why anyone would incorporate a day like Buxton-Skipton right through the High Peak on a LEJOG
[/quote

... it gives me an excuse to try a self supported, flatter route next year. George can'-t walk without a zimmer but was out on his bike this week. Had to drop the bike on his lawn to get off it :D

TBH I would thoroughly recommend going it alone. I took a lot of guidance from the forum but worked out my own routes to suit what I fancied- like crossing the Severn bridge, going via a canal towpath or two and finally up through the top centre via the Crask Inn. And even doing Wimp-based avoidance of hills I still staggered up 49,150ft of them. I timed it to suit my likely abilities,stopped when I fancied for snaps or grub and worked out my own overnights (most of which turned out ok). The only problematic it of planning was getting back from JoG. Yes, It would have been good to go with a mate but - being an anti-social old git -I’d rather go solo than with a bunch I’d likely find increasingly irritating.
Good luck to George in his recovery - and let’s both of us thank heavens we aren’t doing it this week!!