Working towards a LeJoG in September

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
bluelagos

Re: Working towards a LeJoG in September

Post by bluelagos »

Just a quick update.

Managed a 72 miler (with 2800 ft ascent) earlier in the week. Following day managed 35 miles though butt, legs and energy had had enough so didnt push it beyond that.

So getting there with a little way to go.
bluelagos

Post by bluelagos »

Cycled 2500 miles, down 200 miles a week past 3 weeks....and the fckers just cancelled it today.

{FFE - family-friendly edit }
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Why not ride it unsupported?

If you use b+b like I did you can travel light.

I had frame bag, seat bag and top tube bag.

I had enough clothes to be comfortable in the evenings too.

I did it in 8 days but you could just as easily do it in 14 days with the same gear.

Just a thought.

Cheers James
bluelagos

Post by bluelagos »

I did suggest that to my cycling buddy who wasnt keen. But the good news is we have just grabbed the last 2 spots from another company so we are back on :)

Is it appropriate to put up my fundraising page on here? Will leave it unless encouraged to do so as you guys must get pestered all the time!
bluelagos

Post by bluelagos »

So am off on Sept 5th which means I have about 4 more weeks of training before a lazyish last 2 weeks.

Two thoughts, one is to make 2 65 milers a week, the other 5 x 26 milers, pushing hard. Both are around 130 miles, so is there any benefit to doing one or the other or all miles good miles?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I’d do whatever fits in and is possible to do.
Only real training plan I had was to do 4 consecutive 65ml days about 2weeks before the off.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I'd do the longer rides as it will condition you body to ride for that length of time.

Another trick is to ride fasted so not eating too much on the way around so that you body becomes more efficient.

On a 65mile ride I might just take a slice of flapjack and water bottle.

On a 100 mile ride recently I ate 2 sandwiches and a flapjack and a bar of chocolate.

Cheers James
bluelagos

Post by bluelagos »

So had a dodgy tummy for 3 days and opted to rest up. Rode today and felt about 80% fit which was fine. But did make me think 'what if' I were to get a dodgy tummy on the ride.

Presume it would be all about hydration? To be honest just cant see how I could have rode on the worst day. Made me realise importance of eating sensibly.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

bluelagos wrote:So had a dodgy tummy for 3 days and opted to rest up. Rode today and felt about 80% fit which was fine. But did make me think 'what if' I were to get a dodgy tummy on the ride.

Presume it would be all about hydration? To be honest just cant see how I could have rode on the worst day. Made me realise importance of eating sensibly.

Illness is the bane of long-distance riding. Wearing gloves (which are an absolute breeding ground for germs and can hold onto a lot of dirt), handling food (some of which might have been in a back pocket for hours, badly wrapped and getting hot), buying cheap food from little village stores, not washing out water bottles regularly or properly - it's all a recipe for illness. Worst one is eating on the go where gloved hands dip into a pocket or barbag, pull out a bit of sticky flapjack, all the germs and dirt on the gloves go onto that then straight into your mouth.

Worth taking a little bottle of hand sanitiser. Remove gloves, sanitise then eat. Don't refill bottles from streams or reservoirs, try to avoid the well known "dodgy" food places like kebab shops, cheapo sandwiches from garages etc. Take some latex gloves for doing any repairs / adjustments to the bike, that way you won't get hands covered in oil or dirt. And wash your hands thoroughly in soap and water whenever you can.

The Deloitte Ride Across Britain event has been hit once or twice by episodes of D&V and it goes through the camp like wildfire - as a result they're super hot on hygiene with hand sanitiser stations everywhere, strict No Gloves rules at feed stations, food handed to you (not you picking it up, examining it, deciding you don't want it and putting it back...) and so on.
PaulaT

Post by PaulaT »

rareposter wrote:Don't refill bottles from streams or reservoirs

It's really worth taking a water filter if you can't guarantee being able to get fresh water when you need it. The little Sawyer ones aren't expensive and weigh virtually nothing.
bluelagos

Post by bluelagos »

rareposter wrote:
bluelagos wrote:So had a dodgy tummy for 3 days and opted to rest up. Rode today and felt about 80% fit which was fine. But did make me think 'what if' I were to get a dodgy tummy on the ride.

Illness is the bane of long-distance riding. Wearing gloves (which are an absolute breeding ground for germs and can hold onto a lot of dirt), handling food (some of which might have been in a back pocket for hours, badly wrapped and getting hot), buying cheap food from little village stores, not washing out water bottles regularly or properly - it's all a recipe for illness. Worst one is eating on the go where gloved hands dip into a pocket or barbag, pull out a bit of sticky flapjack, all the germs and dirt on the gloves go onto that then straight into your mouth.

Worth taking a little bottle of hand sanitiser. Remove gloves, sanitise then eat. Don't refill bottles from streams or reservoirs, try to avoid the well known "dodgy" food places like kebab shops, cheapo sandwiches from garages etc. Take some latex gloves for doing any repairs / adjustments to the bike, that way you won't get hands covered in oil or dirt. And wash your hands thoroughly in soap and water whenever you can.

The Deloitte Ride Across Britain event has been hit once or twice by episodes of D&V and it goes through the camp like wildfire - as a result they're super hot on hygiene with hand sanitiser stations everywhere, strict No Gloves rules at feed stations, food handed to you (not you picking it up, examining it, deciding you don't want it and putting it back...) and so on.

Thanks for that. Reckon I got lucky getting ill (and learning about it) prior to my Lejog. Defo wearing same gloves too long and buying grub that is higher risk than I should. Cheers for the tips, appreciated.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Something I’ve learnt is never use a bottle with an exposed nipple. Always use a covered bottle.

E2E info
bluelagos

Post by bluelagos »

Paulatic wrote:Something I’ve learnt is never use a bottle with an exposed nipple. Always use a covered bottle.

You're killing me Paula :-)
bluelagos

Post by bluelagos »

Question then, do people change their gloves every day? Been using the same pair for half a dozen rides but easy enough to totate the pairs I have.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I wash mine regularly :D

Once a year :lol:

To be fair I don’t wear them a lot nowadays. On LEJOG i began getting numbness after Perth. Took my gloves off and everything came right again next day.

E2E info