Working towards a LeJoG in September

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
bluelagos

Re: Working towards a LeJoG in September

Post by bluelagos »

Nessie23 wrote:
bluelagos wrote:So yesterday finished really strong. Today I had a smallish breakie (watery porridge, like half a fry up)

“Watery porridge” in Scotland, what has the world come to?
I am enjoying your very honest updates. I think your experiences have confirmed my thoughts that ‘organised Tours’ are not for me. I will be interested to learn your conclusion of organised tours once you conclude your adventure.
Best wishes for the remaining legs.....

Will defo write up my thoughts when all done :-)
bluelagos

Post by bluelagos »

So today did the 77 miles to Oban.

Stunning scenery today, sun shone too, all on my birthday :D

Have now cycled 872 miles in 12 days with 60k ft. Will look at the routes and work out exact figures later.

The tour has done 45 more and has 350 odd to go,over 5 more days. Defo taking fhe scenic route in Scotland.
Nessie23

Post by Nessie23 »

Keep going. The scenery is the reward for all the hills. I suspect your tour will take you along Loch Ness. IMO the ‘best’ scenery In Scotland is the west coast route North from Fort William. A particularly scenic route is Ft William to Mallaig then ferry to southern tip of Skye then back to mainland at Kyle of Lochalsh and follow coast north (must see = Plockton) then Lochcarron, Applecross (famous Bealach-na-ba pass) Shieldaig and Torridon.
I hope the weather holds for you and you enjoy the rest of the journey whatever your route.
PS: Happy Birthday!
bluelagos

Post by bluelagos »

70 odd more to Mallaig yssterday, we go onto Skye today for a short bit.

Beautiful weathee yesterday, long iday as we took 2 feeries which ate into our riding tme.

59 miler todqy and I will crack 1000 miles if I do it :-)

Knee is playing up so no guarantees....
bluelagos

Post by bluelagos »

Stunning day. Ferry to Skye and cycled the coast road. Over the bridge then heading off for another 40 miles on the mainland.

60 overall and I think I am at 1004 miles in 14 days. I ducked out of Applecross....way beyond my tired legs!
bluelagos

Post by bluelagos »

Have manabed to get on Strava and upload a few of the rides.

First day is missing and not 100% accurate ...the 3 days I got a lift the garmin was still on. Though some days the garmin went flat and I carried on so will be short

Anyhow, just in case anyone was interested.
bluelagos

Post by bluelagos »

Made it to Ullapool in good time. Absolutely stunning round here, i know I keep,saying it but LeJog can be so much more if you are lucky enough to have the time :-)

Route will be loaded later, route cards said 80 miles, my phone 70...so will be somewhere around those. I skipped 1.2m of the road (30 before Ullapool) that was so bumpy I thought it would damage my bike. Htf roads can be left to get in that state I'll never know. I would love to put some politicians and their kids on pushbikes on a stretch like that, sure they'd soon sort it out.

2 more days, around 1080 ridden now....getting there :D
Brianjeff50

Post by Brianjeff50 »

You sure you signed up for a LEJOG and not a round Britain tour?
Stick with it - ruddy marvellous scenery up the top there. Good luck with the final push.
bluelagos

Post by bluelagos »

Brianjeff50 wrote:You sure you signed up for a LEJOG and not a round Britain tour?
Stick with it - ruddy marvellous scenery up the top there. Good luck with the final push.

Our hotel in Tongue binned us so tomorrow is about 70 miles across to the other coast. We were about 40 miles from tomorrows destination earlier today {FFE - family-friendly edit }.
bluelagos

Post by bluelagos »

Just 60-65 miles tomorrow and I'll be at the JoG signpost :-)

Weather is in the air for tomorrow...fingers crossed
bluelagos

Post by bluelagos »

Made it in one piece, 63 miles according to my phone app.

Got a thorough soaking around midday, but tbf had superb weatber overall.

Saw quite a few JogLers in the last few miles approaching Wick and then JoG. Good luck to them all.
Nessie23

Post by Nessie23 »

Congratulations Bluelagos, sounds like an epic journey but you have made it. Look forward to hearing what your climbing stats were.
bluelagos

Post by bluelagos »

Looks like 90k feet! One guy tracked his at 91017ft and 1261 miles on Stava end to end.

I missed 12 downhill miles into Skipton, 7 into Windermere and 24 flatish to Ayr...

Will google them to get an exact figure, but looks like we climbed Everest 3 times!!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Well done!

It's good that you have been able to maintain this thread. Over the years, there have been quite a lot of threads from would-be lejogers - often relatively inexperienced riders - looking for advice on things like building their capabilities and it should be good to be able to point them to your experience.

Now you have achieved your aim, keep it up. Don't relax too much as the nights draw in and Autumn begins.
bluelagos

Post by bluelagos »

thirdcrank wrote:Well done!

It's good that you have been able to maintain this thread. Over the years, there have been quite a lot of threads from would-be lejogers - often relatively inexperienced riders - looking for advice on things like building their capabilities and it should be good to be able to point them to your experience.

Now you have achieved your aim, keep it up. Don't relax too much as the nights draw in and Autumn begins.

Thanks. And big thanks for all the tips. I literally didnt have a clue when I started. Still dont have much of a clue. Defo have a sore buttock, sore legs and raised 2k so well chuffed :D