Working towards a LeJoG in September

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Jdsk

Re: Working towards a LeJoG in September

Post by Jdsk »

PaulaT wrote:
rareposter wrote:Don't refill bottles from streams or reservoirs

It's really worth taking a water filter if you can't guarantee being able to get fresh water when you need it. The little Sawyer ones aren't expensive and weigh virtually nothing.

We use AquaPure Traveller bottles:
https://purehydration.com/collections/aquapure-traveller/products/aquapure-traveller

Jonathan
bluelagos

Post by bluelagos »

Week away before we drive to LE to start.

So far we have had one company bail out, rail company refuse a ticket refund and now cancelled tickets, 2 plane cancellations. I swear the logistics of getting to/from the start is a major hassle! This yewr more than ever.

Any tips for the final weeks riding? Plqnning on just a couple of 50 milers, Sunday and Wed.

Made amazing progress. When I got my road bike, was still stopping every 13 miles for fuel. Can now do 35 no issues. Also did a 55 miler at 15 mph saddle time last week, up from 13. Amazing how you dance up a hill that was once a real effort.

Did some hill training in the Malverns with 2000 and 3000 ft of climbs over 25 and 30 miles on 4 consecutive days. Picked the wrong week (heatwave week) but still benefited from it. Am sure Cornwall will still fck me up, but happy to get off and push a hill if its beyond me.

So the only thing to stop us now is a lockdown, another train cancellation or my knee. Bizarrely it seems to hurt more when not cycling than when I am. A bit of over training I think but nothing major atm. One to monitor I think. Taking a foam roller to help with the recovery in the evenings.

Any last week or packing tips (supported trip) appreciated. Gave up on the racing seat few weeks back and have a comfy one instead. Feel to much better buttock wise. No prizes for looks but not even needing to apply creams now so wise call I think.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

It’s worrying you’ve left it so late to find the right saddle. I hope you are right but if it is supported maybe take the old one just in case the present one turns out to be killer after a week.
Week before I did nothing other than get the garden in good shape to leave and check the bike over at least twice to ensure everything is good.
Don’t try to get as much milage out of a tyre as I did :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

The knee pain .... i've always suffered from it .. on my LEJOG i rode with a 26 tooth front chainring ...really ... spun out at 17mph but encouraged a lot of knee friendly free wheeling ... or just raise your saddle 6mm .. i did and the knee pain went away ........ :roll:
As for hills .." There is no hill so steep i cannot push a bicycle up it " ...said some sage person .. and it's defiantly my maxim ..although it was close on Beridale ....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
bluelagos

Post by bluelagos »

Paulatic wrote:It’s worrying you’ve left it so late to find the right saddle. I hope you are right but if it is supported maybe take the old one just in case the present one turns out to be killer after a week.
Week before I did nothing other than get the garden in good shape to leave and check the bike over at least twice to ensure everything is good.
Don’t try to get as much milage out of a tyre as I did :lol:

Changed it about 4 weeks ago. And its the old one off my Mtb so its not new new. But good tip to take the old one, thx.
bluelagos

Post by bluelagos »

https://localgiving.org/fundraising/Nic ... YEDSxrZs_g

Start today :-) Drove down yesterday, those hills round Dartmoor seem long ones!

Thanks for all the help and guidance. Fundraiser above and if nothing else, you can see me post crash and post wasp attack on Thursday.

So far 3950 miles training
72 longest ride
3000 ft in 30 miles most climbing
1 crash
2 tumbles
3 wasp stings, all inside mouth.
1250 miles to go....
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Well done.

Fair winds and don't forget to keep eating.

Cheers James
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Stay overnight in decent establishments too!
bluelagos

Post by bluelagos »

69 miles, 1550m of ascent, 25% steepest gradient.

Walked one 250m hill, wasnt happy with the road, no room for a car, was circa 18% gradient and was covered in gravel, damp gravel.

Otherwise made all the hills. Down to Lizard and then onto Falmouth.

Tomorrows a tough one so fingers crossed...
bluelagos

Post by bluelagos »

Still alive, just.

Yezterday was mental. 85 miles from Falmouth to Sheepsomething past Bude. 8k ascent. Mate had crash, lost an hour sorting that, finished at 8.1t5 in dark {FFE - family-friendly edit }.

Not overly impressed with the routes, over reliant on [inappropriate word removed] county lanes. Will have more thoughts on that later.

Today we are in Dunster, 53 miles, far easier and needed,

Tomorrow is 80 mile to Bath via Cheddar. Long one again!

Finding I can do hills in morning, come afternoon am walking anything over 12%. Did a 26% one yesterday am but not fit enough to maintain that all day.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

bluelagos wrote:Finding I can do hills in morning, come afternoon am walking anything over 12%.

I know what you mean.

How are you navigating?

Jonathan
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Why go inland to cheddar?

Seems like the harder route compared to going via avonmouth bridge?

But if you want to ride up over the Mendips why not!

Cheers James
bluelagos

Post by bluelagos »

Jdsk wrote:
bluelagos wrote:Finding I can do hills in morning, come afternoon am walking anything over 12%.

I know what you mean.

How are you navigating?

Jonathan

Day 1, I was following a mate on his Garmin. Day 2 they gave me a garmin with proloaded gox files so using that.
bluelagos

Post by bluelagos »

Jamesh wrote:Why go inland to cheddar?

Seems like the harder route compared to going via avonmouth bridge?

But if you want to ride up over the Mendips why not!

Cheers James

I,agree. Fiik why the orgaaniser has built in more climbs than needed. But it is what it is :shock:
bluelagos

Post by bluelagos »

Qnother 80 miles and got to Bath.

Frigging puncture too, sorted but took a while. Made it before dark, just :-)