Working towards a LeJoG in September

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
whoof

Re: Working towards a LeJoG in September

Postby whoof » 8 May 2020, 8:05pm

mattsccm wrote:Eat what you normally do. With minor variations it will be about. You won,t suffer from scurvey or malnutrition in that time. I treat holidays as an opportunity to eat food I like so the nearest I come to plant matter is chips or malt in a liquid form.

Indeed eat what you normally would, however when on holiday people don't and fruit and veg can go out of the window.
As you say no one is going to get scurvy or malnutrition in a couple of weeks. It takes months with no vitamin C to get scurvy. But If someone weren't to eat for a couple of days they would soon know about it. It's extremely unlikely that someone would do this but there's hole at the other end of the digestive system. If you put food in one end and don't have waste products coming out of the other for a few days, which can be quite possible with such changes in diet this can have a detrimental effect on how a person feels.

bluelagos

Postby bluelagos » 9 May 2020, 6:40am

Thanks for all the comments guys. Have started to carry a lunchbox maltloaf which has been recommended. The energy gel things dont seem to pack a lot of punch, maybe the ones I got were rubbish.

So at the moment I will have a decent breakie, bowl of muselli and a bowl of fruit/yoghurt. Then as described (egg bap) and I am good for 35 miles. Presuming if I then repeat (hearty dinner, afternoon sandwich) and that should do me for 70 miles (which is our Lejog average).

So would a full fat coke be better as in it would double up as a sugar boost? Do get plenty of veg and fruit and sometimes stop at a shop for a banana/pear if tired and if open.

bluelagos

Postby bluelagos » 9 May 2020, 6:45am

And I have done 3 30+ mile rides on consecutive days so happy with that. Settling into a 3 days on, rest day. Today is a reat day and my legs need it. The 3 days I'll average 13.5 mph, 13 and 12 mph so as you'd expect I guess. Yesterday I even sort of tried to take it easy but 2nd half found myself pushing. Not sure if it is just cos I am on a nice bike (compared to mtb) or whether my body was say 'come on.,.' :D

Seat and shorts will need some thinking about, but no sores. But the last few miles of a 34 miler and on the hills was my buttock that was killing, not my legs or my stamina. Mate suggested standing up so atarting to do that on occasions...

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 9 May 2020, 8:50am

You seem to have a sugar kick habit of gels and fizzy drinks :)
Your body will thank you for kicking that habit. The sugar rush followed by the consequent rapid drop of sugar level is not good. Causes lethargy, sluggishness, raises your blood pressure, lowers your immune system along with a host of other things.
Carrying a gel in case of getting the bonk might be wise but once you’ve experienced the bonk you rarely let it happen again. And yes I used to use a flat coke through the night on an audax. That was 1 can over a few hours.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

LittleGreyCat

Postby LittleGreyCat » 9 May 2020, 1:16pm

Just for an alternative view.
I switched over to a very low carbohydrate diet.
This was mainly for Blood Glucose control as a T2 diabetic.
However a side benefit is that I am usually fuelled by fat.
Glucose/glycogen stores in the body are strictly limited (see Bonk) but most people have reasonably large fat stores which can be mobilised for energy.

So, for example, after a breakfast of coffee with butter and double cream I can ride 30-50 miles without having to eat anything to keep my energy up.

The main issue when cycling is to find somewhere which does LCHF compatible food instead of cake. :lol:

The diet is emotionally restrictive - most "nice stuff" is full of carbohydrates - but it does give benefits for endurance cycling (and running, allegedly).

bluelagos

Postby bluelagos » 17 May 2020, 7:44am

Keeping hydrated. Thinking I may have been mistaking dehydration with hunger. Here's for why.

Lost a fair few kilos in the past 2 years. Probably still 10 kilos to go. Been cycling loads but nothing is moving. In one respect that will be because I have more muscle in the legs, so that is good.

Have always just eaten when I am hungry, which when I cycle 30+ miles seems to be all day and evening. So clearly eating too much I reckon.

So any tips on foods to give you energy and help you feel full? Am going to start with more yoghurt pre ride and make sure I have plenty of liquids post ride too.

Came to the conclusion as I rode on a chillier day, with little sweating, and felt fine for 40 miles (aside from sore buttock) without much at all.

Sorry for the ramble, but as ever, your comments and knowledge are appreciated :-)

Jamesh

Postby Jamesh » 17 May 2020, 8:54am

I often found a good cooked breakfast (often from supermarket cafes! ) Was a good start to the day. I often rode to the cafe on route to break up the day. Lunch was always a decent transport cafe meal and tea was a posher restaurant if I could find one! You only lejog once!

I dont like gels as they are sickly sweet but a couple for emergencies aren't a bad idea.

Dairy milk I find great as are harribo in small amounts.

Cheers James

LittleGreyCat

Postby LittleGreyCat » 17 May 2020, 6:27pm

Rough guide.

Fats and protein fill you up and keep you full for a while.

Carbohydrates just make you hungry again pretty quickly.

This is one reason a Full English can be a good start to the day. Plenty of fat and protein to fill you up.

This, of course, doesn't work the same for everyone.
For some people a big bowl of porridge in the morning can see them through the day.
In others the same thing will leave them starving a couple of hours later.

whoof

Postby whoof » 17 May 2020, 8:37pm

Myself and Mrs Whoof did 100 miles Today. Porridge and toast for breakfast, banana after forty kilometres one cheese one houmous roll half way around.
Me sixty six kilos and one metre seventy three Mrs Whoof fifty one kilos one metres sixty eight.
The vast majority of the world's population have lived off rice bread noodles for thousands of years without getting fat or type two diabetes. Shouldn't get modern processes food confused with carbohydrates.sorry about punctuation and numbers device has gone bonkers

bluelagos

Postby bluelagos » 18 May 2020, 7:28pm

So latest advice, is on aftercare for gravel rash. Lowsided on a gravel strewn bend. Cleaned up cuts, applied TCP and then some savlon cream.

Any other tips? (Apart from not crashing :D )

whoof

Postby whoof » 18 May 2020, 8:12pm

bluelagos wrote:So latest advice, is on aftercare for gravel rash. Lowsided on a gravel strewn bend. Cleaned up cuts, applied TCP and then some savlon cream.

Any other tips? (Apart from not crashing :D )

Make sure all the bits of gravel are removed its clean and put a dressing on that has gauze holding it on

At night remove it to let it dry out.

Trigger

Postby Trigger » 22 May 2020, 5:07pm

You'll probably find as you get fitter that you need less fuel, by all means keep on top of the right side of eating enough but likewise don't fall victim to the mindset that you need to shovel the food in.

I can do a hilly 30 miles with just a bottle of water quite easily, so piling in a big breakfast and then stopping for a big lunch just to do 70 miles might seem a bit OTT. I'd be inclined to cut one of those out, seeing as I don't eat breakfast it would probably be that one for me and just stop for a bit of lunch.

bluelagos

Postby bluelagos » 24 May 2020, 6:26am

So high winds...yesterday opted to stay in, looked way too blowy.

Is there a consensus on the speed of winds considered to be dangerous? Not worried about the difficulty as happy to just do a shorter run if it's harder...

rareposter

Postby rareposter » 24 May 2020, 12:54pm

bluelagos wrote:So high winds...yesterday opted to stay in, looked way too blowy.

Is there a consensus on the speed of winds considered to be dangerous? Not worried about the difficulty as happy to just do a shorter run if it's harder...

Depends on the bike (especially the wheels) and the terrain. Trundling along a reasonably sheltered flat B-road with a crosswind won't be the same as coming off Shap Fell with a crosswind!

As it's an organised ride you're doing, it's unlikely that you'll have the choice - you basically HAVE to ride that day no matter what and when ride-leading I've seen and done some riding that, under normal circumstances, I'd never have considered getting the bike out for. Torrential rain, strong winds - it becomes a mental thing mainly but that mental thing comes from experience of riding in those conditions and knowing how to deal with it, what clothing you need, how the bike handles.

I did a ride the other day and the final descent (into the wind) I was doing about 15mph, pedalling downhill on a road I'd normally be able to do 40mph along. I remember once along the north coast of Scotland, final day of a LEJOG that I was working on and riders were in tears from dealing with the massive offshore crosswind. everyone had loved the stretch from Altnaharra to the coast, a scremaing tailwind. Hit the coast, turn right and suddenly everyone was being blown into the verge, it took some real skill (which many of the riders simply didn't have) to ride it out.

The problem with indoor training is that it gets people really quite fit and strong but without any of the actual riding skill necessary to be out on a road in the wind and rain and traffic and other riders and handle the bike on a descent with gravel-strewn bends and a crosswind. You have to ride real roads in real weather.

Jamesh

Postby Jamesh » 25 May 2020, 11:38pm

I rode into a gale coming off rannoch moor last summer. I had to pedal most if the way down only when I reached the tree line did my speed increase and then nearly overshot the hostel!!!!

Happy days!

Cheers James