LEJOG 14 Day Route

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Sandhouse

LEJOG 14 Day Route

Postby Sandhouse » 22 Jun 2020, 7:34pm

Hi,

Planning on riding LEJOG or maybe JOGLE next year all being well. I’m planning on doing it on a road bike with 28mm tyres (I’ve tentatively included parts of the canal path around Taunton/Bridgewater although unsure how good the surface is).

Have sketched out a route with the priorities being avoiding busy roads and city centres. I don’t mind hills or country lanes as this is where I do 90% of my riding currently. Apologies in advance Mick F, I haven’t followed your route through Cornwall!

Looking to take around 2 weeks so no great rush to get there. Are there super quiet A roads I have avoided unnecessarily or busy roads I haven’t but should avoid, or indeed anything else I’ve missed?

Any comments welcomed!

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33100664

The route is... LE - Hayle - St Neot - Okehampton - Tiverton - Bridgwater - Severn Bridge - Symonds Yat - Hereford - Ludlow - Nantwich - Leigh - Preston - Kirkby Lonsdale - Penrith - Gretna Green - Abington - Livingstone - Perth - Aviemore - Inverness - Crask Inn - Bettyhill - JOG.

Thanks.
Last edited by Sandhouse on 2 Aug 2020, 1:02am, edited 2 times in total.

Paulatic

Re: LEJOG 14 Day Route

Postby Paulatic » 22 Jun 2020, 7:59pm

I'd be tempted to use more of the A6 north of Preston
At Penrith I’d be tempted to go through the middle your cycle route puts in an extra hill. Also when you get through Penrith I wouldn’t take Fair Hill out. There’s enough of a hill out on the A6. Fair Hill is even bigger I did it once heading South and swore never again :lol:
At Dunkeld is that route 77 coming out? I wonder what the current situation is with the surface there. I think I’ve read it can be MtB territory.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

matt2matt2002

Postby matt2matt2002 » 22 Jun 2020, 8:28pm

Nice route. Any day off days planned?
Mileage per day thoughts?
Stopping off points?
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
Lots more in hot countries.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 22 Jun 2020, 8:43pm

matt2matt2002 wrote:Nice route. Any day off days planned?
Mileage per day thoughts?
Stopping off points?

It’s 940 miles similar to the Wimps. I personally think taking a day off increases your daily mileage and feel that extra milage on a tough day could be harder to deal with than cycling every day.

cycleruk

Postby cycleruk » 22 Jun 2020, 9:25pm

Regarding canal towpaths - you can sometimes see the path if, using the "pegman", you plant him on top of a bridge that crosses the canal. Then scan around. Even sometimes Pegman can actually be placed on some canal paths.
On RidewithGPS I use "pegman" a lot to see the state of roads / likely traffic congestion etc. (Pegman is the little orange man on bottom right of screen. Right click on him and place on section of road that you want to inspect.)
You'll never know if you don't try it.

whoof

Postby whoof » 22 Jun 2020, 9:27pm

I've ridden most of the route from LE to Bristol on a number of occasions and have ridden great chunks of it hundreds of times. With the exception that I ride further West towards Blisland. If doing LEJOG start looks OK if going the other way I would not go from Newlyn to Paul.

I've ridden the canal path at Bridgwater on 25 mm and it was a bit bumpy but was OK. However I think someone on here rode it and for some reason they were in agony.

When you get to Portbury go straight on High Street right into the layby and cross A369 on cycle path into Pill and then onto the M5 bridge avoids edge of industrial car storage and takes you right past a COOP of you need some food.
When you get over the M5 go right and follow the NCN 410 to Hallen, Easter Compton, Pilning and joining the A403 at Northwick. You only have to do about 1 km on or next to the A403 which is full of lorries going to Avonmouth and you can ride quiet lanes instead.
Last edited by whoof on 23 Jun 2020, 2:56pm, edited 1 time in total.

wirral_cyclist

Postby wirral_cyclist » 22 Jun 2020, 11:42pm

It might be better to chop the route down into your intended daily legs, then folk can give an overview of our localities more easily. Once you have stops planned you can check different route options more easily, local knowledge and cycle.travel will get the best route. BUT you need to find where to stay in the likes of Scotland as unless you're wild camping, you can only stay where accomodation exists, so up there the ride duration might be fixed, as will the route.

Towpaths around Taunton seemed fine to us on 28mm tyres (was 2013)
Definately good idea about using A6, Preston to Lancaster is fine, M6 being so close gets all the traffic.
Not doing Shap? I think it's compulsory for a LEJoG isn't it?
Think of adding 60 miles somewhere to get a nice round 1,000 too...

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 23 Jun 2020, 8:24am

wirral_cyclist wrote:Not doing Shap? I think it's compulsory for a LEJoG isn't it?
Think of adding 60 miles somewhere to get a nice round 1,000 too...

I wouldn’t brag about Shap I think the OP will do far more climbing on his route.

cycleruk

Postby cycleruk » 23 Jun 2020, 2:02pm

Another comment on canal towpaths - personally I dislike them. I find them usually slow to traverse and sometimes awkward to ride on. Ducking under bridges, fishermen sometimes and general walkers. The Wimps did Taunton to Bridgewater instead of the planned road route and I know one of the group found it very uncomfortable. The only advantage is it's traffic free.

Agree with Wirrel_cyclist about putting up your expected daily routes for more local information.
You'll never know if you don't try it.

keithg

Postby keithg » 23 Jun 2020, 6:54pm

Paulatic wrote:At Dunkeld is that route 77 coming out? I wonder what the current situation is with the surface there. I think I’ve read it can be MtB territory.

This bit of NCN77 just N of Dunkeld was resurfaced last year and is now VG, it’s also a very scenic stretch too.

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 23 Jun 2020, 7:14pm

keithg wrote:
Paulatic wrote:At Dunkeld is that route 77 coming out? I wonder what the current situation is with the surface there. I think I’ve read it can be MtB territory.

This bit of NCN77 just N of Dunkeld was resurfaced last year and is now VG, it’s also a very scenic stretch too.

Great news thank you for the info. I loved my day through that area but we did endure the A9 for a while to avoid the mud. I’ve a yearning to do that bit again now :D

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 23 Jun 2020, 8:40pm

Sandhouse wrote: Apologies in advance Mick F, I haven’t followed your route through Cornwall!

No probs! :D

................ except you are picking a few VERY tough hills, especially the ones east of St Neot. (pronounced seneot not saint neot)
I remember trying to climb the hill as you turn off left after the bridge over the River Fowey (pronounced Foy) and it's narrow and very very steep. Much steeper than it shows on the map.
Better route ............ if you want to go that way at all! ........ is to go straight on and take the "softer" route straight on then left at the top to rejoin your route.

.............. and then you go through Rilla Mill and over Horsebridge! :shock:

Glutton for punishment methinks.

Best route, is My Route.
If you want to take a different one similar to your's, head north at Upton Cross and go up the B3254 for Congdon's Shop and Launceston via South Petherwin. Still hilly, but not as bad.
Join the Old A30 for Okehampton via Mick's Route.
Mick F. Cornwall

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 23 Jun 2020, 8:59pm

PS:

Having lived in Fife, I know the roads.
I am very mystified why you have suggested the route you have chosen.

Suggestion from knowledge.

Cross over the Forth Bridge.
Go through Inverkeithing to Hill of Beath and Kelty, and B996 into Kinross, Milnathort and Genfarg.
A912 through Bridge of Earn into Perth.

Believe me ........... I know.
Mick F. Cornwall

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 23 Jun 2020, 9:26pm

Mick F wrote:PS:

Having lived in Fife, I know the roads.
I am very mystified why you have suggested the route you have chosen.

Suggestion from knowledge.

Cross over the Forth Bridge.
Go through Inverkeithing to Hill of Beath and Kelty, and B996 into Kinross, Milnathort and Genfarg.
A912 through Bridge of Earn into Perth.

Believe me ........... I know.

I think the OP has chosen route 1 after the bridge. He does say he likes lanes and quiet roads.

philvantwo

Postby philvantwo » 24 Jun 2020, 6:43am

I wonder if he's taking his laptop with him like mick f did?
:?