LEJOG 14 Day Route

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Sandhouse

Re: LEJOG 14 Day Route

Postby Sandhouse » 27 Jun 2020, 4:01pm

Paulatic wrote:I'd be tempted to use more of the A6 north of Preston
At Penrith I’d be tempted to go through the middle your cycle route puts in an extra hill. Also when you get through Penrith I wouldn’t take Fair Hill out. There’s enough of a hill out on the A6. Fair Hill is even bigger I did it once heading South and swore never again :lol:
At Dunkeld is that route 77 coming out? I wonder what the current situation is with the surface there. I think I’ve read it can be MtB territory.

Thanks. I’ve added in some A6 coming out of Preston and Penrith. Hadn’t really considered using the A6 as Fair Hill was more direct but as you say the A6 saves over 100ft of climbing!

Sandhouse

Postby Sandhouse » 27 Jun 2020, 4:34pm

Paulatic wrote:
matt2matt2002 wrote:Nice route. Any day off days planned?
Mileage per day thoughts?
Stopping off points?

It’s 940 miles similar to the Wimps. I personally think taking a day off increases your daily mileage and feel that extra milage on a tough day could be harder to deal with than cycling every day.

Not planning on any rest days so around 70 miles/day. Similar mileage to the Wimps but I think around 10% more climbing.

Sandhouse

Postby Sandhouse » 27 Jun 2020, 9:29pm

whoof wrote:I've ridden most of the route from LE to Bristol on a number of occasions and have ridden great chunks of it hundreds of times. With the exception that I ride further West towards Blisland. If doing LEJOG start looks OK if going the other way I would not go from Newlyn to Paul.

I've ridden the canal path at Bridgwater on 25 mm and it was a bit bumpy but was OK. However I think someone on here rode it and for some reason they were in agony.

When you get to Portbury go straight on High Street right into the layby and cross A369 on cycle path into Pill and then onto the M5 bridge avoids edge of industrial car storage and takes you right past a COOP of you need some food.
When you get over the M5 go right and follow the NCN 410 to Hallen, Easter Compton, Pilning and joining the A403 at Northwick. You only have to do about 1 km on or next to the A403 which is full of lorries going to Avonmouth and you can ride quiet lanes instead.

Thanks. I’ve rerouted around Portbury. Probably stay with NCN 41 towards Severn Bridge, lots of trucks but lots of cycle paths too - NCN 410 looks nice but adds a few miles.

griggsy

Postby griggsy » 10 Jul 2020, 11:58am

I camped overnight on the Taunton Bridgwater canal it was ok just a bit slow and twisty. Probably not great if there’s been heavy rain.
Took me ages to find the right path to the Avonmouth bridge, seemed to go round in circles in an industrial estate, and then the ncn path seemed to go on for ages. Would probably grit my teeth and go on the road through the docks another time and get it over with quickly.
From Penrith I went out of town on the A6 I think and then left at a roundabout to come into Carlisle from the south west. Carlisle took a while because of diversions.
Went into Scotland on the A7 and across country via the Tibetan Monastery passing LEL coming the other way, not the quickest but loved it, camped on the beach in the Dalmenie Estate with the deer looking at the FRB.
Went Kinross to Perth via Milnathort and Bridge of Earn, recommend this quiet, fairly quick and flat.
From Inverness went up the middle to Lairg, Crask Inn, Altnaharra and across to Forsinard before going through the estate roads to Thurso, scenic, gravelly and fun if you’re happy off-road.

Sandhouse

Postby Sandhouse » 11 Jul 2020, 2:52pm

griggsy wrote:From Penrith I went out of town on the A6 I think and then left at a roundabout to come into Carlisle from the south west. Carlisle took a while because of diversions.
Went into Scotland on the A7 and across country via the Tibetan Monastery passing LEL coming the other way, not the quickest but loved it, camped on the beach in the Dalmenie Estate with the deer looking at the FRB.
Went Kinross to Perth via Milnathort and Bridge of Earn, recommend this quiet, fairly quick and flat.
From Inverness went up the middle to Lairg, Crask Inn, Altnaharra and across to Forsinard before going through the estate roads to Thurso, scenic, gravelly and fun if you’re happy off-road.

Thanks for the tips. Good to hear you have ridden and can recommend parts of the route. Hoping to avoid Carlisle altogether by looping round on the cycle path along the A689 - as advised in an earlier post on here.

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 11 Jul 2020, 3:46pm

Sandhouse wrote:
griggsy wrote:From Penrith I went out of town on the A6 I think and then left at a roundabout to come into Carlisle from the south west. Carlisle took a while because of diversions.

Thanks for the tips. Good to hear you have ridden and can recommend parts of the route. Hoping to avoid Carlisle altogether by looping round on the cycle path along the A689 - as advised in an earlier post on here.

I always use the A689 I’m certain it’s a lot quicker than going through the city.
If you’re going that side and through Dalston I’d also take R7 out of Penrith it saves climbing out of Penrith just to loose that height again down to the roundabout.
After the A689 crosses the Eden pick up R7 again to Gretna. Lot more pleasant than the road beside Mway.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

Sandhouse

Postby Sandhouse » 11 Jul 2020, 9:23pm

Paulatic wrote:
Sandhouse wrote:
griggsy wrote:Hoping to avoid Carlisle altogether by looping round on the cycle path along the A689 - as advised in an earlier post on here.

I always use the A689 I’m certain it’s a lot quicker than going through the city.
If you’re going that side and through Dalston I’d also take R7 out of Penrith it saves climbing out of Penrith just to loose that height again down to the roundabout.
After the A689 crosses the Eden pick up R7 again to Gretna. Lot more pleasant than the road beside Mway.

Thanks Paulatic, I’ve rerouted onto R7. Adds a hill at Skelton but avoids A6 hill so a good compromise.