Novice needing advice, please!

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
afanasiew

Re: Novice needing advice, please!

Post by afanasiew »

Jdsk wrote:
7 A lot. Multitool. 15mm wrench. Adjustable wrench. Chain tool. Spoke key. Pump with adaptors. Spokes. Magic links. Brake pads. Brake cable. Gear cable. Nuts and bolts. Duct tape. Cable ties. iPhone.

Jonathan

Thanks, Jonathan.

Which multitool? Presumably some come with chain tool & spoke key included?

I'll need to swot up on bike maintenance. It's been a long time, and there were no disk brakes back in the day!

Cheers

Tony
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Ah... I hadn't spotted that ambiguity. Mine's a Victorinox Spirit, rather than anything to do with bikes. I like it because *everything locks, the needle-nose pliers are accurate, and it fits my hand. That covers the screwdrivers for the bike. (No corkscrew!!!)

I forgot the folding set of hex keys.

Jonathan

* NB Laws about carrying knives...

afanasiew

Post by afanasiew »

Jdsk wrote:Ah... I hadn't spotted that ambiguity. Mine's a Victorinox Spirit, rather than anything to do with bikes. I like it because *everything locks, the needle-nose pliers are accurate, and it fits my hand. That covers the screwdrivers for the bike. (No corkscrew!!!)

I forgot the folding set of hex keys.

That looks like a desirable piece of kit to set alongside my array of Swiss Army knives but, not being bike-specific, I wonder if it's the most efficient in terms of weight per use?

Anyone else with a favourite multitool?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

It's 210g... I'd be interested if anyone has a collection of pliers, scissors, straight and crosshead screwdrivers, and knife with a lower total mass... and there's something like another six tools...

: - )

Jonathan
afanasiew

Post by afanasiew »

Jdsk wrote:It's 210g... I'd be interested if anyone has a collection of pliers, scissors, straight and crosshead screwdrivers, and knife with a lower total mass... and there's something like another six tools...

: - )

Jonathan

210g is pretty good, Jonathan, but yeah but, yeah but... how many of those have you actually needed to use on your bike? I get it - I found it really hard to leave my 156g Outrider knife behind in favour of the diminutive Rambler (30g) but, when every gram counts...

Tony
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

afanasiew wrote:... I 'run hot' (i.e. sweat buckets), so reckon I'll try a bladder backpack plus isotonic in a flask.

You might find this uncomfortably sweaty on your back - more so than when walking, because you'll be leaning forward somewhat and gravity will tend to push the load closer to you. Fluid isn't usually a problem for the non-racer; you can refill bottles at any pub or cafe (generally I buy something, but I believe pubs are obliged to provide tap water without charging); or the tap water in public toilets is safe to drink (provided it's mains water). The Kona Sutra seems to have provision for 3 bottle cages, so it shouldn't be necessary to carry anything on your back.
whoof

Post by whoof »

nosmarbaj wrote:
afanasiew wrote:... Fluid isn't usually a problem for the non-racer; you can refill bottles at any pub or cafe (generally I buy something, but I believe pubs are obliged to provide tap water without charging)

This is technically true. That is by law licenced premises must offer free tap water. However, they can make a charge for either providing a glass to drink it from or the service of providing the water. But as you say I don't have difficulty finding water in the UK and have never been charged. However, I have not requested only water from a premises, rather order something else to eat or drink and then asked for a pint of water or if bottles can be filled.
Edit: many Wetherspoon have a container of water at the end of the bar.
afanasiew

Post by afanasiew »

nosmarbaj wrote:
afanasiew wrote:... I 'run hot' (i.e. sweat buckets), so reckon I'll try a bladder backpack plus isotonic in a flask.

You might find this uncomfortably sweaty on your back - more so than when walking, because you'll be leaning forward somewhat and gravity will tend to push the load closer to you. Fluid isn't usually a problem for the non-racer; you can refill bottles at any pub or cafe (generally I buy something, but I believe pubs are obliged to provide tap water without charging); or the tap water in public toilets is safe to drink (provided it's mains water). The Kona Sutra seems to have provision for 3 bottle cages, so it shouldn't be necessary to carry anything on your back.

I drink 2 litres of water on an 18 mile walk in warm, not hot weather - any less and my fingers swell through dehydration. Three bottles just ain't enough for 70 miles, and I'd prefer to minimise the stops, although I'm happy to fill up when stopping for coffee. I've trialled a 2 litre bladder backpack and you're right, it does make for a damp back, but that's a cheap one; if I get a Camelbak or Osprey version designed for ventilation, I'm thinking that 3 litres plus bottles stands a chance of getting me there, maybe with a spare 2l in the pannier.
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

It's your choice of course, but however much fluid I needed, if it wouldn't fit into bottles in cages, I'd carry the excess on the bike (in a pannier or whatever) rather than on my back.
afanasiew

Post by afanasiew »

nosmarbaj wrote:It's your choice of course, but however much fluid I needed, if it wouldn't fit into bottles in cages, I'd carry the excess on the bike (in a pannier or whatever) rather than on my back.

It's a considered decision. When I first started riding over 50 years ago, an uncle advised me never to ride with weight on my back, and I've since repeated that advice to others. Having used a bladder regularly as a walker, though, I thought I'd give it a go and found that it works for me.

I reckon I'm old enough to be unwise!

Cheers.
botty

Post by botty »

Lycra shorts are not a given. Use merino instead. Although these have to come from the USA they are worth every penny. I use a pair with a chamois insert daily. They last and suit me well.

https://www.kucharikclothing.com/wool-s ... 7pmqqpg1u7
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

afanasiew wrote:
nosmarbaj wrote:

I drink 2 litres of water on an 18 mile walk in warm, not hot weather - any less and my fingers swell through dehydration. Three bottles just ain't enough for 70 miles, and I'd prefer to minimise the stops, although I'm happy to fill up when stopping for coffee. I've trialled a 2 litre bladder backpack and you're right, it does make for a damp back, but that's a cheap one; if I get a Camelbak or Osprey version designed for ventilation, I'm thinking that 3 litres plus bottles stands a chance of getting me there, maybe with a spare 2l in the pannier.

I think you might find you run cooler on the bike than walking I do when compared to running with equal amounts of effort.

Most of the time your not far from places to get or buy water, so carrying around excessive water seems a chore to me?

Cheers James
afanasiew

Post by afanasiew »

Jamesh wrote:

I think you might find you run cooler on the bike than walking I do when compared to running with equal amounts of effort.

Most of the time your not far from places to get or buy water, so carrying around excessive water seems a chore to me?

Cheers James

I'm very gradually increasing my distances and am still only doing 15 miles in a breezy 17 degrees, but still lose loads of sweat. Without water and salt, I start to cramp. With that in mind, I've ordered a 3 litre Camelbak bag and will have isotonic drinks in two 750 ml bottles. Whether they'll last 60-70 miles remains to be seen. If I cycle like I walk, I much prefer not stopping.

Cheers

Tony