Novice needing advice, please!

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
afanasiew

Novice needing advice, please!

Post by afanasiew »

Ok, I'm not exactly a novice, but haven't done a cycle tour for 40 years, since when everything's changed. I walked LEJOG last year and want to cycle it next year, having not even ridden a bike for 20 years. Mad, I know.

I have so many questions:
    1. What does a moderately fit 67 year old wear when lycra is obviously out of the question?
    2. What pedals? I don't fancy embarrassing myself by using clipless and falling over.
    3. Do you lock your bike when you go into pubs/cafés and, if so, which lock?
    4. What do you do for hydratation? Bladder backpack? Isotonic tabs?
    5. What waterproof(s)? I have a pretty good one for hiking, but it might offer a bit too much wind resistance. I also have a Berghaus Hyper 100 but fear it may not be enough for a full day of rain.
    6. Footwear? I was thinking Inov8 running shoes with waterproof socks as required.
    7. What tools should you take, other than a puncture repair kit?
    8. Do you take lights, even if you don't plan to cycle in the dark?
    9. I could use Viewranger on my phone to navigate, as I did to walk it, but am open to suggestions for swanky kit.

For info, I plan to go next May, want to do quieter roads, maybe 60 miles per day average, and have ordered a Kona Sutra, due to arrive November. I've downloaded the gpx files from https://www.cyclelejog.com/routeplan.html, and amended them to exclude Leeds, but am still open to suggestions of awesome, unmissable routes.
Basically, any useful advice you have to offer will be much appreciated.

Cheers!
whoof

Re: Novice needing advice, please!

Post by whoof »

1. Walking type clothes, layers and high wicking material. BTW unless you are not as other (wo)men then lycra is out of the question because you have decided to discount it.
2. Flat ones.
3. Yes, I use a really small 'cafe' lock but don't park my bike in city centres but at pubs or cafes with outside seating or I'm seated at the window with the bike right outside. This sort of thing but mine was a couple of quid. q

https://www.tweekscycles.com/uk/krypton ... r&istBid=t

4. Two water bottles in cages attached to the frame plus plenty of tea at stops.

5. I tour with a cheap Decathlon cycling jacket. Not technical at all, as long as I'm not cold that's as much as i can hope for of it rains all day.

6. Trainers, it they get wet stuf newspaper in them when to arrive at accommodation and carry some secondary form of foot wear. Saddles, fl ip flips, crocs
7. Search on here for tool kit. There's a whole thread on it.
8. Yes. An LED rear and front are small, light (weight) and of its foggy or really lashing down will make you more visible. Also you may plan always to arrive way before sun set but plans can go wrong.
Edit you could consider a dynamo hub, powers lighting and can charge devices whilst riding.

9. I use Garmin ETrex, Mrs Whoof an ap on her phone. We both toured for years with only paper maps. Still carry small Sustrans 1:110,000 ones when touring as back up and route planning. For LEJOG of you are planning to pass your house or staying with friends at some point don't need to take them all can pick or post some.
Last edited by whoof on 24 Jun 2020, 9:59am, edited 3 times in total.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

1 You might have to get used to lycra padded shorts. Top wise without lycra I’m often out riding in a Merino jumper now.
2 No need for fancy I did LEJOG using flat pedals with spiky bits
3 I rarely do but some do everytime for me any lightweight lock will do.
4 1 bottle and 1 flask in bottle cages. The flask can make a brew or keep the bottle refill cold. Isotonic tabs stop me cramping.
5 You can be optimistic and think you might never see rain or realistic and have something that keeps you dry but doesn’t cook you with lack of ventilation.
6 innov8 shoes will be fine overshoes might be better than waterproof socks. The overshoes could keep your feet warm for that first hour on a cold May morning.
7 A couple of tubes, tyre levers if you need them, a multi tool, some zip ties and a pump and some chain lube. Some will add to that a chain tool and spare cables. I’ve never carried either and never broke a chain or cable on tour. More Important in my mind is to make sure those items are 100% before setting off. If in doubt replace.
8Yes I’d carry at least a rear light not only for darkness but also poor visibility as you go over Shap
9 You could use your phone but a big day on the road could test your battery. Better IMO to have something like a Lezyne GPS (mega XL) with good battery life and keep your phone for backup.

There’ll be others along shortly with 9 different ideas so importantly whatever you do decide on make sure you are familiar and confident with everything you use that includes acclimatising you’re body to days on the bike. It’s a great ride and will be a little quicker than walking it. Enjoy
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
afanasiew

Post by afanasiew »

whoof wrote:1. Walking type clothes, layers and high wicking material....

9. I use Garmin ETrex, Mrs Whoof an ap on her phone. We both toured for years with only paper maps. Still carry small Sustrans 1:110,000 ones when touring as back up and route planning. For LEJOG of you are paying your house putt staying with friend at some point don't need to take them all can pick or post some.

Thanks for all the practical advice, whoof. I particularly like the idea that walking gear is transferable and that flat pedals are ok. Even when I've cycled it I'll still consider myself a walker and yes, going lycraless is an aesthetic choice.
I have a couple of merino base layers but have just ordered a slightly thicker merino jersey, since I'll be training during the cooler months.
As well as a basic lock, I've found a small alarm which may set my mind at rest - being a little nervous that the Brooks saddle may be too tempting for some.
Cheers
Tony
afanasiew

Post by afanasiew »

Paulatic wrote:1 You might have to get used to lycra padded shorts...

There’ll be others along shortly with 9 different ideas so importantly whatever you do decide on make sure you are familiar and confident with everything you use that includes acclimatising you’re body to days on the bike. It’s a great ride and will be a little quicker than walking it. Enjoy

Thanks for the tips, Paulatic, particularly on the toolkit. The guy who's selling me the Kona Sutra advised me to try padded undershorts, so I've ordered a pair.
I think I probably consume more fluid than you or whoof, because I 'run hot' (i.e. sweat buckets), so reckon I'll try a bladder backpack plus isotonic in a flask.
Cheers
Tony
whoof

Post by whoof »

afanasiew wrote:
whoof wrote:1. Walking type clothes, layers and high wicking material....

9. I use Garmin ETrex, Mrs Whoof an ap on her phone. We both toured for years with only paper maps. Still carry small Sustrans 1:110,000 ones when touring as back up and route planning. For LEJOG of you are paying your house putt staying with friend at some point don't need to take them all can pick or post some.

Thanks for all the practical advice, whoof. I particularly like the idea that walking gear is transferable and that flat pedals are ok. Even when I've cycled it I'll still consider myself a walker and yes, going lycraless is an aesthetic choice.
I have a couple of merino base layers but have just ordered a slightly thicker merino jersey, since I'll be training during the cooler months.
As well as a basic lock, I've found a small alarm which may set my mind at rest - being a little nervous that the Brooks saddle may be too tempting for some.
Cheers
Tony

Mrs Whoof rode 5000 km from one end or Europe to the other with flat pedals. Personally if I'm riding more than a couple of miles I use clip-in pedals but it's a preference not a necessity.

Put a carrier bag over the saddle when the bike is parked. It will also protect the leather from the rain it you do get a shower.
Enjoy your ride.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

1 Walking clothes. Often polycotton. Often Rohan.

3 Yes. D lock + cable through wheels. Panniers sometimes stay on but valuables are in handlebar bag and come with us. There's a recent discussion of this.

4 Bottles in cages and extra in panniers if needed. Water, commercial soft drinks, anything according to fancy.

5 Bright yellow waterproof cycling jacket with vents and pockets.

7 A lot. Multitool. 15mm wrench. Adjustable wrench. Chain tool. Spoke key. Pump with adaptors. Spokes. Magic links. Brake pads. Brake cable. Gear cable. Nuts and bolts. Duct tape. Cable ties. iPhone.

8 Hub dynamo lights. + Front and rear battery lights. + Helmet lights. + Wristband indicators (sometimes). + Headband torches.

9 Garmin Edge 1000: carries all Europe maps, turn by turn guidance. Entire route preloaded. iPhone as back-up.

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 24 Jun 2020, 1:18pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I only use flat pedals. And I wear Rohan clothing. For most riding not involving camping I have a Carradice Cadet and a Carradice roll bag on the handlebars.

Whilst I have my smart phone with OS downloaded I'm still a paper map person. And I use a disposable shower cap for my saddle when I leave the bike.
John
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

All the above.

Comfy bike saddle and handlebars!

Run your Cornwall / Devon route passed Mick F

Did I see you an cafe in the north of Scotland last year a week's time?

Number of golfers a lejog walker and myself riding???

Cheers James
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

afanasiew wrote:2. What pedals? I don't fancy embarrassing myself by using clipless and falling over.

I previously used toeclips and straps and now use one sided SPDs: yet more avoidance of single points of failure.

But my wife uses bucket toe things (what do others call them?):

Jonathan
heathfield55

Post by heathfield55 »

Hi,

Before I set off for my 14 day Le Jog I did a quick video of the gear I was taking with me, it maybe of help to you. My trip was unsupported and I stayed in pre-booked inns, b and b’s and hotels. Having completed the challenge, I think I took just the right amount of gear and even managed to pack it into one Pannier ! All the best on your trip !! https://youtu.be/QwwJjXjxpVQ
afanasiew

Post by afanasiew »

Jamesh wrote:
Comfy bike saddle and handlebars!

Did I see you an cafe in the north of Scotland last year a week's time?

Number of golfers a lejog walker and myself riding???

Hi James

The Kona Sutra I have on order comes with a Brooks saddle, so here's hoping.

I didn't get as far north as Inverness until 11 August last year, so probably not.

Cheers

Tony
afanasiew

Post by afanasiew »

Jdsk wrote:
afanasiew wrote:2. What pedals? I don't fancy embarrassing myself by using clipless and falling over.

I previously used toeclips and straps and now use one sided SPDs: yet more avoidance of single points of failure.

Jonathan

Jonathan, thanks, the pedal hooks look to be worth a try, even though they're marketed as being for mtbs.

Cheers

Tony
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

afanasiew wrote:
Jdsk wrote:

Jonathan

Jonathan, thanks, the pedal hooks look to be worth a try, even though they're marketed as being for mtbs.

Cheers

Tony

I ride with toe clips like that on my MTB and touring bike.
I find that they help get a little extra through the pedals on the up stroke.
afanasiew

Post by afanasiew »

whoof wrote:
afanasiew wrote:
whoof wrote:
Put a carrier bag over the saddle when the bike is parked. It will also protect the leather from the rain it you do get a shower.
Enjoy your ride.

Great tip. I'd decided I needed to disguise the temptingly desirable Brooks saddle, so have bought a cheap cover for it to attach only when I pop into a pub or café. And will attach an alarm to the bike for such times too.