Is doing JOGLE solo lonely?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Is doing JOGLE solo lonely?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

@Graham
Is it possible/likely that the OP has been reading answers without logging in? Quite easy to forget to check 'remember me'
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Cyril Haearn wrote:@Graham
Is it possible/likely that the OP has been reading answers without logging in? Quite easy to forget to check 'remember me'

OR
They are waiting for several and more responses before posting again? / other.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

Or just another one post wonder.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Hopefully the OP has come back in read mode, but I often look at the time of these one off posts. This was 11:45 at night. I used to call these PPPs, as in post pub posts.
Jon Lucas

Post by Jon Lucas »

Whether the OP returns or not, there will be other people wondering about this as well, so worth continuing.

When I cycled the coast of Britain I spent a month cycling in the north-west highlands seeing very few other cyclists or, indeed, other people altogether. But as soon as I got past Thurso, the roads filled miraculously with cyclists, all heading to and from JoG. So I don't think any JOGLE rider is going to be alone.

The sad thing is that JoG is the most uninteresting place along the whole of the northern Scottish coast. For those who do cycle to or from there, can i recommend they go the two miles further up to Duncansby Head, which is Britain's actual north-easterly point, which is stunning and far more interesting.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Right again Jon L
Nor is LE the most southerly point :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Jon Lucas wrote:Whether the OP returns or not, there will be other people wondering about this as well, so worth continuing.

When I cycled the coast of Britain I spent a month cycling in the north-west highlands seeing very few other cyclists or, indeed, other people altogether. But as soon as I got past Thurso, the roads filled miraculously with cyclists, all heading to and from JoG. So I don't think any JOGLE rider is going to be alone.

The sad thing is that JoG is the most uninteresting place along the whole of the northern Scottish coast. For those who do cycle to or from there, can i recommend they go the two miles further up to Duncansby Head, which is Britain's actual north-easterly point, which is stunning and far more interesting.

When I was walking the West Highland Way some 40 years ago on my own with in adequate gear and -10 temperatures not to mention the snow drifts Up to your waist :mrgreen:
A postman stop me on the road part and said he hadn't seen anybody up here for three months walking.
I will try and remember your bit on North East Scotland if it's not far away, if I ever get up that way, hopefully next year.
Likewise lands end is a bit of a dump, it's worth the detour down to the lizard for sure, make sure you get down to the old Lighthouse.
As you round the last corner there will be people sitting there on chairs looking for that once-in-a-lifetime photo of the waves coming in, It's pretty fresh straight off the Atlantic.
It was very common for me to walk for 2 to 3 days without seeing a single individual.
i'm generally someone who likes to keep their head down but we all need a bit of conversation now and again that's psychology, soon as I move on again I was think I probably spent too long talking.

Edited for grammar et cetera
Last edited by NATURAL ANKLING on 7 Jul 2020, 4:59pm, edited 1 time in total.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
whoof

Post by whoof »

From the original post

"I’m looking to try JOGLE for the first time this summer (late July/ early August) but I’m don’t have any friends or family who are willing to do it with me"

There is a new poster in Touring asking about riding across France with this in it.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=139114

"I would love to cycle St Malo to Nice/Montpellier etc etc but do not have any family or friends that are insane enough to join me"

A coincidence? Or perhaps they could do LEJOG and end-to-end France together.