Logistics of solo camping

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Sweep

Re: Logistics of solo camping

Post by Sweep »

PaulaT wrote:Camping in the rain isn't so bad. I've done it lots of times. It's actually a bit of an occupational hazard when touring Ireland ;) Avoid tents which pitch inner first. There's plenty of affordable tents which pitch inner and outer together and can be erected in a few minutes but at a minimum go for a tent which pitches outer first. Take cuppa-soups. I discovered their efficacy on my 1st ever cycle camping tour of a rainy Peak District. First thing I do once the tent is up is get all the panniers inside and make myself a cuppa-soup. There's something about them that rallies you after a day in the saddle in a way that tea or coffee don't. A few years ago I came across a video by wilderness and survival expert Paul Kirtley in which he also recommends cuppa-soups so it's not my imagination :D

Good tip.
Recently came across
Mug Shots
Tho haven't used camping.
Quite nice.
Some of them have bits of noodles in them i think.
Sweep
whoof

Post by whoof »

Sweep wrote:
PaulaT wrote:Camping in the rain isn't so bad. I've done it lots of times. It's actually a bit of an occupational hazard when touring Ireland ;) Avoid tents which pitch inner first. There's plenty of affordable tents which pitch inner and outer together and can be erected in a few minutes but at a minimum go for a tent which pitches outer first. Take cuppa-soups. I discovered their efficacy on my 1st ever cycle camping tour of a rainy Peak District. First thing I do once the tent is up is get all the panniers inside and make myself a cuppa-soup. There's something about them that rallies you after a day in the saddle in a way that tea or coffee don't. A few years ago I came across a video by wilderness and survival expert Paul Kirtley in which he also recommends cuppa-soups so it's not my imagination :D

Good tip.
Recently came across
Mug Shots
Tho haven't used camping.
Quite nice.
Some of them have bits of noodles in them i think.

I always have a mug of tea, it can be nearing 40 degrees C and I'll still have a nice hot mug of tea on the go whilst getting things pitched. However, the OP is eating in pubs and restaurants so probably has no stove which rules out a brew of any kind (other than purchased) on arrival.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

In benign weather I have a cuppa before I erect the tent. In adverse weather, I await a break or get the tent up asap - inner and outer go up together. When leaving I pack everything except my stove and cup and when all is done I have a cuppa.
John
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Almost anywhere in Scotland I would not contemplate a tarp due to midges. A tent which can be sealed up will help to keep most of them out. Often any wind drops in the evening and then they appear quite suddenly to make life outside a misery.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

whoof wrote:I always have a mug of tea, it can be nearing 40 degrees C and I'll still have a nice hot mug of tea on the go whilst getting things pitched. However, the OP is eating in pubs and restaurants so probably has no stove which rules out a brew of any kind (other than purchased) on arrival.

Oldjohnw wrote:In benign weather I have a cuppa before I erect the tent. In adverse weather, I await a break or get the tent up asap - inner and outer go up together. When leaving I pack everything except my stove and cup and when all is done I have a cuppa.

Even if I were eating out I'd want to be able to make hot drinks.

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Jdsk wrote:
whoof wrote:I always have a mug of tea, it can be nearing 40 degrees C and I'll still have a nice hot mug of tea on the go whilst getting things pitched. However, the OP is eating in pubs and restaurants so probably has no stove which rules out a brew of any kind (other than purchased) on arrival.

Oldjohnw wrote:In benign weather I have a cuppa before I erect the tent. In adverse weather, I await a break or get the tent up asap - inner and outer go up together. When leaving I pack everything except my stove and cup and when all is done I have a cuppa.

Even if I were eating out I'd want to be able to make hot drinks.

Jonathan

Exactly. I have my stove and pot and mug always accessible so I can have a brew at any time.
John
PaulaT

Post by PaulaT »

Jdsk wrote:Even if I were eating out I'd want to be able to make hot drinks.

Jonathan

My preference is to eat out as much as possible but I always carry enough food for 24 hours just in case.