SYHA cancellations

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Enigmadick

SYHA cancellations

Post by Enigmadick »

After booking a private room at Aviemore SYHA for later in August on 23 June and having my payment taken, tonight I have received a generic email saying the hostel is not actually going to be open. Amateur or what?

Good news - the Premier Inn is actually cheaper.
ENIGMA DICK aka Richard Barrett
rotavator

Re: SYHA cancellations

Post by rotavator »

I wonder if a party wants to book the whole hostel for a week?

I am not surprised that the Premier Inn is cheaper. Two years ago I found that full board at HF's Achtshellach hotel was cheaper per night than a spartan room at Pitlochry SYHA with no meals, although I guess I was lucky to find such a good deal.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Enigmadick wrote:After booking a private room at Aviemore SYHA for later in August on 23 June and having my payment taken, tonight I have received a generic email saying the hostel is not actually going to be open. Amateur or what?

Good news - the Premier Inn is actually cheaper.

Presumably in June they thought they were likely to be able to open by late August, but have now realised that they won't be open so have contacted you well in advance to advise you of this.
Uncertain times, results in uncertainties.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

I once met someone who'd had an early booking cancelled because the YHA had a school party lined up who wanted exclusive use of the hostel.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

I stayed at Carbisdale castle youth hostel in 1987. Wonderful place, can't believe what's happened to it!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

axel_knutt wrote:I once met someone who'd had an early booking cancelled because the YHA had a school party lined up who wanted exclusive use of the hostel.

Welsh Bicknor YHA.
I booked early and also booked an evening meal, and it was all paid in advance.

When I arrived, I asked what time the meal was, and was told that a party of school children had exclusive rights to the hostel restaurant.
I was livid! :evil:

I demanded my money back for the meal, but they were very reluctant do it, until I got VERY angry.
I also demanded they tell me where I can eat. The suggested a pub up the road, which I found, and thoroughly enjoyed my meal and beers! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Enigmadick

Post by Enigmadick »

Presumably in June they thought they were likely to be able to open by late August, but have now realised that they won't be open so have contacted you well in advance to advise you of this.

When I booked it was evident from their availability calendar that they planned to open a week or so after the Scottish Parliament had announced the date they were lifting the lock down on the hospitality sector.

It may be they simply didn't get much take-up. Alternatively the trustees may have overruled management's plans. Who knows.
ENIGMA DICK aka Richard Barrett
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

All my DJH bookings were cancelled as they have taken the view that they should protect youth group bookings.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”