Which navigation gadget or app for LEJOG?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Brianjeff50

Re: Which navigation gadget or app for LEJOG?

Post by Brianjeff50 »

How easy are these things to read without putting reading specs on?
Sounds daft but since cataract ops I need these for close range stuff - i have a pair in my jersey for checking OS map or iPhone.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Not daft at all, it's crucial.

Obviously the aim is to find a screen size and resolution and display design and gadget position that doesn't require any changes from how you ride. Do you think that might be possible?

(My near point isn't what it was and I sometimes put on glasses to read. I ride with noncorrecting glasses for protection from sun and wind. With the Edge 1000 on an extension bar I can see what i need on the screen without changing anything. See also recent discussion of where to mount handlebar bags and gadgets)

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

freeflow wrote:
What's peoples thoughts with using google maps on phone? With a spare battery back up (pebble)

Only if you can pre cache the map areas you will be crossing, otherwise you will be running with live data and burn through your battery very quickly indeed.

For a smartphone you want an app that does offline mapping, and which also supports only lighting up the screen when you come to a junction (or just a rather verbose,set of voice instructions with the screen off).

If you can recharge batteries everynight then the world is your oyster.

Yes, I often do it that way for short rides.

You also need to find a mount and waterproof case with which you're happy, see current discussion.

Jonathan
PaulS

Post by PaulS »

If you fancy playing with a home-made project, the Kobo e-reader is a good start, and cheap. Add a GPS chip, and download software and maps. Bit of a faff, but a fun project for the dark winter planning months, with loads of on-line help. Importantly, the screens are fully readable in bright sunlight. Have a look here :

http://gethighstayhigh.co.uk/
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

You also need to find a mount and waterproof case with which you're happy, see current discussion.

I've been navigating on longer rides (Audax) using smartphones since 2013. The type of mount you use is critical which is why I now use this type.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bicycle-Bike ... SwsrhevmXe

For waterproofing I just use a plastic bag, as you can put the phone in the bag and the mount still works fine.

Visibility in sunlight is never an issue as I can always make out the route line. Other numbers are there for comfort so don't need to be visible all the time.

The phone is always connected to a battery pack so is typically 100% charged. I have a collection of older mobile phones that can be used for plan B,C,d,E and F if required.

And I prefer very large phones, my current one has a 6.9 inch screen.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Brianjeff50 wrote:How easy are these things to read without putting reading specs on?
Sounds daft but since cataract ops I need these for close range stuff - i have a pair in my jersey for checking OS map or iPhone.

I need glasses to read small writing nowadays. I have an Edge 810 and sometimes an "information/warning" note appears at the bottom of the screen. I can't read this without the glasses. All other things such as turn instructions are easy to see without glasses. Having said this I have had the Edge for a few years and would buy another.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Brianjeff50 wrote:How easy are these things to read without putting reading specs on?
Not daft at all. It'll depend entirely on the condition of your own eyes and the prescription you require to accomodate. My eyes have stiffened up sufficiently to need glasses for all sorts of conditions, such that I now have 7 pairs, all for specific needs. Over the last decade of so, I took to using VoltX safety eyewear which are v. cheap and have a reading patch, in a range of dioptres or "strengths". These are designed for middle-aged chippies - or indeed cyclists!! They are a great bargain-basement solution. Using them, I could see the detail on my GPS sufficiently for it to remain useable, although nowadays, they are bearly sufficient, unless the light is good.
However now I'm older, my increasingly inflexible eyes can't change shape enough to focus on fine detail at close range. So I upped the anti to a pair of sports 'shades fitted with a varifocal prescription, which cost many times more than the VoltX, but give me excllent vision at long, mid and closeup distances. Without these, I would simply be unable to use my GPS device. No way. But with them, I can see everything I want / need to.
It will be the same for you. If you can't see enough detail on your GPS devce without prescription glasses, then you can't use it. It's up to you to decide if hauling a pair of reading glasses out of your back pocket everytime you want to check your position is acceptable. For me it isn't. It's all down to your own eyes, the job you want them to do, the budget you have and the skills of your chosen optican. I went with a local independant shop and haven't regretted it. Spending more money than I wanted to means I can see!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Brianjeff50

Post by Brianjeff50 »

My eyesight was getting steadily worse so I took myself to Specsavers for a free test. Instead of glasses I got told I had cataracts and, after two ops, my vision was transformed. I have to say I was staggered by how vibrant the colours were. But the price is that everything closer than 3-4 feet is blurry (this was an NHS job now a private one which can give you varifocus). 2.5 reading glasses sort it but I'm helpless reading anything without them.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Sounds like one of the VoltX products might suit you down to the ground... and they're as cheap as chips, too!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Brianjeff50 wrote:My eyesight was getting steadily worse so I took myself to Specsavers for a free test. Instead of glasses I got told I had cataracts and, after two ops, my vision was transformed. I have to say I was staggered by how vibrant the colours were. But the price is that everything closer than 3-4 feet is blurry (this was an NHS job now a private one which can give you varifocus). 2.5 reading glasses sort it but I'm helpless reading anything without them.

Have you played with real satnavs or paper dummy screens at the various positions they could be on the bike?

Jonathan
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I use cycle.travel recommended here too... https://www.theguardian.com/travel/bike ... e-pandemic

And, I transfer the route into Osmand+ which issues voice instructions from my phone attached to the stem. Sometimes I go straight for Osmand+ which seems to find pretty good routes on its own.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Brianjeff50

Post by Brianjeff50 »

Jdsk wrote:
Brianjeff50 wrote:My eyesight was getting steadily worse so I took myself to Specsavers for a free test. Instead of glasses I got told I had cataracts and, after two ops, my vision was transformed. I have to say I was staggered by how vibrant the colours were. But the price is that everything closer than 3-4 feet is blurry (this was an NHS job not a private one which can give you varifocus). 2.5 reading glasses sort it but I'm helpless reading anything without them.

Have you played with real satnavs or paper dummy screens at the various positions they could be on the bike?

Jonathan

No, good thought: I'll try that. Big numbers and arrows are no problem, it's scrolling through 'small print' menus that is tricky
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

It would be good to know if not reaching for the reading glasses every time is a possibility.

Jonathan
afanasiew

Post by afanasiew »

whoof wrote:I use a Garmin Etrex 20x. It shows a trail which you follow which is very simple to do. Battery life is excellent, last weekend I rode 110 miles on Saturday and 125 on Sunday and it still showing 3 out of 5 bars which means anything from 40 - 60% left. It takes two AA batteries which means I carry a spare pair of rechargables so if they do run out I just swap then over. It comes with very little memory. However I bought a 3Gb data card which you can insert and it then holds dozens of routes. Has a smaller screen than some GPS units or phones, hence high battery life but I wear glasses for reading and don't find it a problem.

Mrs Whoof uses a Smart phone together with Kammot. The advantage is she only needs one device. The down sides are if you follow a trail on the screen as above then battery life is only a few hours. She does use it with An ear piece given directions but these are harder to follow than a trail. As sometimes these are a bit late and you over shoot and at other times out can be confusing as to which left you should take.

This looks mighty interesting. Do you upload gpx files to the device?
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Jdsk wrote:It would be good to know if not reaching for the reading glasses every time is a possibility. Jonathan

I can only report on my Garmin Edge 810 which I've had for a few years now.
All my routes are pre-planned on the PC and then transferred into the Garmin.
The routes are stored on the Garmin so, if say for LeJog you have 14 days, then each day can be selected as you progress.
Once the route (course) is chosen for a ride and set going it really doesn't have to be touched again unless you go "off course". The Edge "beeps", depending how much of a warning is set, before reaching a change in direction. A glance at the the screen shows a large direction arrow which I can easily see without glasses (see in the review below). If for any reason you go "off-course" then I need glasses to look at the map on the screen to see what correction is needed to get back on track.
Main reason for going "off-course" is not hearing the "beep" due to wind noise etc.
I have never used the Garmin on it's own to plot a route but then I have not needed too.
I presume other Garmins are similar so, in theory, you don't need reading glasses unless there is a problem which would probably require you to stop anyway.
As I mentioned above, now and again the Garmin beeps and a small print message appears at the bottom of the screen. I can't read this without glasses and most of the time is of no consequence. :roll:

I'm not trying to persuade you to buy a Garmin but this review may give you some idea of what's involved and something to compare against.
https://www.plsmith.co.uk/my-reviews/ga ... gps-review
I don't know how other makers units work so can't offer any thoughts on them.
You'll never know if you don't try it.