North from Nantwich

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Brianjeff50
Posts: 116
Joined: 17 Jul 2019, 1:50pm

North from Nantwich

Postby Brianjeff50 » 21 Aug 2020, 11:18am

Any thoughts on a good route to weave through the looming Warrington/Wigan/Greater ManchesterBlackburn areas bearing in mind the current Covid situation around there?
I'm basically following the pre-Covid Wimps LEJOG route which went right through the heart of it. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27514632

roubaixtuesday
Posts: 3510
Joined: 18 Aug 2015, 7:05pm

Re: North from Nantwich

Postby roubaixtuesday » 21 Aug 2020, 11:24am

Regulations here

https://secure.manchester.gov.uk/info/5 ... cing_rules

It's not obvious to me why your chosen route would have any problem with this?

Brianjeff50
Posts: 116
Joined: 17 Jul 2019, 1:50pm

Re: North from Nantwich

Postby Brianjeff50 » 21 Aug 2020, 11:53am

roubaixtuesday wrote:Regulations here

https://secure.manchester.gov.uk/info/5 ... cing_rules

It's not obvious to me why your chosen route would have any problem with this?


I don't think it will have any problems as such - just that it's a higher risk area and I'd like to minimise my exposure to any dangers: going in shops, having to deal with a breakdown etc etc.

Enigmadick
Posts: 75
Joined: 5 Mar 2016, 11:28am

Re: North from Nantwich

Postby Enigmadick » 21 Aug 2020, 2:04pm

If you don't mind country parks and canal towpaths, (which are all well surfaced, including miles of block paving around Wigan) you try this that I rode on 25c's last year. Gets you out of the main urban areas.

https://cycle.travel/map/journey/116627
ENIGMA DICK aka Richard Barrett
https://www.cicerone.co.uk/authors/richard-barrett
Use the code RB20C to get 20% off any Cicerone guidebook when you buy direct

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 50623
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: North from Nantwich

Postby Mick F » 21 Aug 2020, 3:35pm

Grin and bear it and keep going.

Nantwich to Lancaster (perhaps) is 80odd miles.
Up the A49 and the A6 .......... and you're out of it.
Mick F. Cornwall

User avatar
cycleruk
Posts: 5526
Joined: 17 Jan 2009, 9:30pm
Location: Lancashire

Re: North from Nantwich

Postby cycleruk » 21 Aug 2020, 4:18pm

The only real virus risk is when you stop and meet people. If you need to go into shops then use a face mask. Cafes could be a risk so take care if using. While you are on the move and in fresh air then the risk must be minuscule even in the high Covid risk areas.

P.S. If you do follow the Wimps route as shown there is a diversion at route mile 11 and I can't see any apparent reason why ? :? So ignore it.
You'll never know if you don't try it.

rareposter
Posts: 241
Joined: 27 Aug 2014, 2:40pm

Re: North from Nantwich

Postby rareposter » 21 Aug 2020, 4:23pm

This thread might be worth a look:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=139431

I'd thread up through Middlewich, Pickmere, HIgh Legh, Dunham Massey, Leigh and then into Wigan and pick up the route out of it described in that thread. The lanes round there are actaully quite nice, it's possible to be reasonably near Warrington but in the middle of nice greenery. Preston, use the Guild Wheel to get round one side or the other - there are various routes out via more residential areas that avoid the A6 and the horrendous roundabout with the M55 and then you can get into the little lanes that criss-cross the M6 up to Scorton.

Unless you're on a record attempt there is no need to go anywhere near the A49 and A6, they're both grim roads with absolutely no redeeming features.

Brianjeff50
Posts: 116
Joined: 17 Jul 2019, 1:50pm

Re: North from Nantwich

Postby Brianjeff50 » 22 Aug 2020, 7:57pm

Enigmadick wrote:If you don't mind country parks and canal towpaths, (which are all well surfaced, including miles of block paving around Wigan) you try this that I rode on 25c's last year. Gets you out of the main urban areas.

https://cycle.travel/map/journey/116627


I like this route - the River Weaver and Leeds Liverpool Canal we have boated on many times.
My only concern is that towpaths and cycle tracks are usually slower going than roads (and not always in good nick). It’s about 80 miles Nantwich to Garstang - that’s about my mileage limit for a day. What’s a realistic mph to expect to manage?

User avatar
RickH
Posts: 5271
Joined: 5 Mar 2012, 6:39pm
Location: Horwich, Lancs.

Re: North from Nantwich

Postby RickH » 23 Aug 2020, 1:06pm

Brianjeff50 wrote:
Enigmadick wrote:If you don't mind country parks and canal towpaths, (which are all well surfaced, including miles of block paving around Wigan) you try this that I rode on 25c's last year. Gets you out of the main urban areas.

https://cycle.travel/map/journey/116627


I like this route - the River Weaver and Leeds Liverpool Canal we have boated on many times.
My only concern is that towpaths and cycle tracks are usually slower going than roads (and not always in good nick). It’s about 80 miles Nantwich to Garstang - that’s about my mileage limit for a day. What’s a realistic mph to expect to manage?

It is mostly a decent route apart from a couple of bits. Where it rejoins the canal at about 48.5 miles I wouldn't - that section is a real mudfest - I would go straight up past Haigh Hall (follow round the righthand side of the hall itself) & turn left at the road then left again to drop down to the canal. Here I would rejoin the canal as the north end of the railway path is closed (IIRC until next year). The towpath can initially be a bit slippy as it is earth but it stays firm & only has a surface layer that can be a bit slippery when wet. The surface graduallyy improves as you go sling & is perfectly OK to ride on 28mm tyres.

The other bit I would change is not bothering to wiggle around South of Garstang at about 78.5 miles, I would just turn left up the A6 for about 2 miles before turning right onto the B6430 into Garstang.

With regard to speed I find off road paths with a reasonable surface OK. You don't go particularly fast but you can usually be pretty steady as there are no junctions. On the canal round Chorley I can usually average around 14mph even though my maximum speed is seldom above 16 or 17 mph.

Enigmadick
Posts: 75
Joined: 5 Mar 2016, 11:28am

Re: North from Nantwich

Postby Enigmadick » 23 Aug 2020, 1:08pm

[What’s a realistic mph to expect to manage?]

Other than the towpath around the east side of Wigan I remember it as a fairly fast day. Can't tell you exactly but I generally estimate rides at 12mph + 400m/hr VAM. But I travel light and usually beat my estimates.
ENIGMA DICK aka Richard Barrett
https://www.cicerone.co.uk/authors/richard-barrett
Use the code RB20C to get 20% off any Cicerone guidebook when you buy direct

Pete Owens
Posts: 1927
Joined: 7 Jul 2008, 12:52am

Re: North from Nantwich

Postby Pete Owens » 23 Aug 2020, 3:04pm

Brianjeff50 wrote:Any thoughts on a good route to weave through the looming Warrington/Wigan/Greater ManchesterBlackburn areas bearing in mind the current Covid situation around there?
I'm basically following the pre-Covid Wimps LEJOG route which went right through the heart of it. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27514632

That is rather a strange little diversion onto the back roads round Stockton Heath (S Warrington). Being as the route follows the A49 most of the way - (it is a busy dual carriageway with large roundabouts heading N from Warrington) I'm not sure why it avoids the High Street.

In terms of COVID - the area that is of most concern at the moment is Oldham (E of Manchester) Wigan has just been released from the restrictions covering the rest of Greater Manchester and Warrington was never included.

Brianjeff50
Posts: 116
Joined: 17 Jul 2019, 1:50pm

Re: North from Nantwich

Postby Brianjeff50 » 23 Aug 2020, 5:05pm

RickH wrote:
Brianjeff50 wrote:
Enigmadick wrote:If you don't mind country parks and canal towpaths, (which are all well surfaced, including miles of block paving around Wigan) you try this that I rode on 25c's last year. Gets you out of the main urban areas.

https://cycle.travel/map/journey/116627


I like this route - the River Weaver and Leeds Liverpool Canal we have boated on many times.
My only concern is that towpaths and cycle tracks are usually slower going than roads (and not always in good nick). It’s about 80 miles Nantwich to Garstang - that’s about my mileage limit for a day. What’s a realistic mph to expect to manage?

It is mostly a decent route apart from a couple of bits. Where it rejoins the canal at about 48.5 miles I wouldn't - that section is a real mudfest - I would go straight up past Haigh Hall (follow round the righthand side of the hall itself) & turn left at the road then left again to drop down to the canal. Here I would rejoin the canal as the north end of the railway path is closed (IIRC until next year). The towpath can initially be a bit slippy as it is earth but it stays firm & only has a surface layer that can be a bit slippery when wet. The surface graduallyy improves as you go sling & is perfectly OK to ride on 28mm tyres.

The other bit I would change is not bothering to wiggle around South of Garstang at about 78.5 miles, I would just turn left up the A6 for about 2 miles before turning right onto the B6430 into Garstang.

With regard to speed I find off road paths with a reasonable surface OK. You don't go particularly fast but you can usually be pretty steady as there are no junctions. On the canal round Chorley I can usually average around 14mph even though my maximum speed is seldom above 16 or 17 mph.



Thanks for the tips. As a boater I’m only too aware of how awful towpaths can become! And, yes, I decided two miles on the A6 was preferable to too-big and fro-ing at the end of a long day.

Enigmadick wrote:[What’s a realistic mph to expect to manage?]

Other than the towpath around the east side of Wigan I remember it as a fairly fast day. Can't tell you exactly but I generally estimate rides at 12mph + 400m/hr VAM. But I travel light and usually beat my estimates.
[quote="RickH"]
You learn something every day: VAM?? Not an acronym I knew but no wonder, I’d rather not know my feeble Vertical Ascent in Metres rates!

User avatar
cycleruk
Posts: 5526
Joined: 17 Jan 2009, 9:30pm
Location: Lancashire

Re: North from Nantwich

Postby cycleruk » 24 Aug 2020, 2:35pm

Pete Owens wrote:
Brianjeff50 wrote:Any thoughts on a good route to weave through the looming Warrington/Wigan/Greater ManchesterBlackburn areas bearing in mind the current Covid situation around there?
I'm basically following the pre-Covid Wimps LEJOG route which went right through the heart of it. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27514632

That is rather a strange little diversion onto the back roads round Stockton Heath (S Warrington). Being as the route follows the A49 most of the way - (it is a busy dual carriageway with large roundabouts heading N from Warrington) I'm not sure why it avoids the High Street.

I've no idea either as it is one of the routes I was involved with organising. :roll:
It's possible if there is a "way point" slightly of "route" then that could cause a miss-route though there is nothing in my original version that I can see to cause that.. Sometimes R'W'GPS can through in a curve ball if your not careful in proof-checking the route. :?:

P.S. Speed - I work on 10 mph but that includes ice cream stops etc. :D
You'll never know if you don't try it.

Jamesh
Posts: 1651
Joined: 2 Jan 2017, 5:56pm

Re: North from Nantwich

Postby Jamesh » 27 Aug 2020, 6:48pm

How about going up the Wirral and taking the mersey ferry?

Missed all the high risk cities and your soon back on the A6 towards Lancaster.

Cheers James

User avatar
Paulatic
Posts: 5652
Joined: 2 Feb 2014, 1:03pm
Location: 24 Hours from Lands End

Re: North from Nantwich

Postby Paulatic » 27 Aug 2020, 7:08pm

cycleruk wrote:
I've no idea either as it is one of the routes I was involved with organising. :roll:


We loyally followed it, as it was also a signed cycle route, only to end up further down the road :(
Most memorable was the next roundabout which was very busy with lots of things to look out for. We missed any signage took What we thought was our exit and quickly realised we were going the wrong way up an entry to the Rbt :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info