Edinburgh alternative?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Brianjeff50

Edinburgh alternative?

Post by Brianjeff50 »

Though I've planned a western route via Glasgow and the A82 I'd like to keep the way via in my back pocket as an alternative. I'm still a bit iffy about the dangers of the A82.

I have accommodation booked at Crawford north of Moffat (still cancelable) and beyond that nothing fixed yet just in case I need to review my daily progress.

Crawford to Edinburgh there's an easy route but am I missing something of the Border country delights by simply going that way? Unfortunately Hawick seems to be a Covid mini-hotspot so I'll stay clear of there.
Beyond Perth is the route to Inverness the pretty obvious one or are there any pretty diversions or deviations worth noting?
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Edinburgh alternative?

Post by Mick F »

No recent knowledge, but Innerleithen used to be nice. Peebles etc.
Father-in-Law used to use that route when coming up to our place in Fife from Lancashire.
He used to get off the A74 at Moffatt and come over the hills and the lanes towards the Forth Bridge.

We as a family often went there on picnics back in the 70s.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Inn ... d-3.064912

You should be able to pick a route from Crawford or Moffat ok.
Mick F. Cornwall
Elizabeth_S

Post by Elizabeth_S »

Hawick has 11 cases of covid, the Scottish tracing system seems to be fairly rigorous so that's why they are watching it. I wouldn't think it would be a problem, nice area the Borders.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

When you’ve got to Crawford you’ve missed the Borders.
The only alternative I’d suggest is turning at Lockerbie > Eskdalemuir> Innerleithen > Peebles> Carnwath which then has you where you would probably be going from Crawford.
It’s a very picturesque route but also very hilly and also it’s 50 mls with no shops 1 pub, might be open, at Tushielaw until you reach Innerleithen or Peebles depending on route.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

In a previous thread of yours I posted brief details of an alternative route to Crianlarich via Callander and Lochearnhead. It departs from the B7078 north of Crawford at Happendon.

I've had it in mind that if I went that way again, rather than continuing to Crianlarich, I would instead turn off the A85 at Lix Tol and continue on the A827 to Killin and along the south shore of Loch Tay on NCR 7 to Pitlochry. Indeed NCR 7 can be followed all the way traffic free from Callander up Strathyre and Glen Ogle to Killin on the disused railway. I rode this section a few weeks ago and its an excellent route with spectacular views across the valley from the Glen Ogle viaduct.

This route avoids both Glasgow and the A82 and bypasses Edinburgh entirely.
Enigmadick

Post by Enigmadick »

I rode Crawford > Abington> Thankerton > Carnwath > Livingston > Queensferry last year and thoroughly enjoyed it including the bit through Livingston which is on good fast paths.

https://cycle.travel/map/journey/124893
ENIGMA DICK aka Richard Barrett