And I’m off!

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Jdsk

Re: And I’m off!

Post by Jdsk »

"Turn by Turn" navigation, I think.

Jonathan
Brianjeff50

Post by Brianjeff50 »

A thoroughly enjoyable day’s ride. 78 miles and eight hours from Nantwich to north of Preston but for the first 60 I barely touched a main road - country lanes, towpaths, cycleways. And all in that huge urban sprawl.
I recall it was Enigmadick who gave me the basic route - many thanks to him.
I was worried the complicated route would be tricky to follow but it was fine - even though the Satnav struggled at times.
I could have gone further off road but the canal towpath north of Wigan was pretty ropey in places so I baled out and used the A6 which wasn’t too bad even in rush hour.
Tomorrow to Penrith
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

You’re in the right part of the country now :wink:
A wind behind you too. :D Enjoy
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
matata

Post by matata »

Thanks for the updates, following with interest as starting ours on Sat..Doing about 70/day with about 60/day in Cornwall..Same route as yours so far, then Moffat to Edinburgh and up the Old A9......getting excited, Nik
Brianjeff50

Post by Brianjeff50 »

Near Moffat now after two tough days - the first was a day of two halves; some lovely coastal wandering from Preston and Glasson along the Lune Estuary cycleway to Lancaster and along the canal.
But the ‘highlight’ of the day was Shap - I dragged myself up it cursing the weight of the panniers. Bitterly cold at the top - +1C. Knackered by arrival at Penrith
Rain was forecast yesterday so I left at 7 am. Got through Carlisle ok (where I posted surplus stuff home!) but rain hit with a vengeance at Gretna. Fierce side winds too. Kit soon soaked, put on more layers, soaked them too! Stopped under a bridge and changed out of the wet inners for dry ones. Got them wet too!
It’s a bleak area - makes you realise how you can get into serious trouble.
Finally the rain stopped and I made it to my B&B just north of Moffat in Crawford. It’s a brilliant stop: Sandy at Glencaple Manse couldn’t be a better host.Dried all the kit. Does proper cooked dinners too. Many cyclists stay.
Find her on Airbnb.
Over the Forth Bridge to Kinross next.
Brianjeff50

Post by Brianjeff50 »

matata wrote:Thanks for the updates, following with interest as starting ours on Sat..Doing about 70/day with about 60/day in Cornwall..Same route as yours so far, then Moffat to Edinburgh and up the Old A9......getting excited, Nik

Moffat area has just gone into lockdown - check where you can stay.
Brianjeff50

Post by Brianjeff50 »

matata wrote:Thanks for the updates, following with interest as starting ours on Sat..Doing about 70/day with about 60/day in Cornwall..Same route as yours so far, then Moffat to Edinburgh and up the Old A9......getting excited, Nik

Correction to what I said earlier - Moffat is just outside the restrictions, a few miles up the road where I stayed last night is now in them!
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I thought you would be coming through my patch yesterday and had intended a ride out to meet you. Chapeau to you I wasn’t going out in that rain it was an awful day. Well done :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Enigmadick

Post by Enigmadick »

Was it actually noticeable that Crawford was in lockdown? I doubt it.
ENIGMA DICK aka Richard Barrett
pwa

Post by pwa »

Enigmadick wrote:Was it actually noticeable that Crawford was in lockdown? I doubt it.

There have been several versions of "lockdown". I wonder which one it is. If it were the sort currently operating in Caerphilly it would prevent you passing through unless your journey were "essential". I'm guessing it isn't that sort.
Enigmadick

Post by Enigmadick »

pwa wrote:
Enigmadick wrote:Was it actually noticeable that Crawford was in lockdown? I doubt it.

There have been several versions of "lockdown". I wonder which one it is. If it were the sort currently operating in Caerphilly it would prevent you passing through unless your journey were "essential". I'm guessing it isn't that sort.

It was meant as a joke pwa. Everything closed in Crawford well before Covid.
ENIGMA DICK aka Richard Barrett
pwa

Post by pwa »

Enigmadick wrote:
pwa wrote:

It was meant as a joke pwa. Everything closed in Crawford well before Covid.

Ah!

My own memory of Crawford is midges. I had one of my worst midge episodes there. Also on LEJOG.
Brianjeff50

Post by Brianjeff50 »

Crawford is pretty tiny so I doubt it would be but I was last guest at Sandy’s B&B - she’s cancelled the next few
Brianjeff50

Post by Brianjeff50 »

A nice ride to the edge of Edinburgh today then a horrible bout of getting lost in the vast rookery that is Livingston. The Satnav gave up immediately (even Ride with GPS had the mapping wrong). It took forever to weave through endless footpaths before I was out and heading towards the Forth bridges. A great sight!
The last miles were a bit hilly and my backside a bit sore, then it rained a mile from tonight’s Travelodge. More rain tomorrow it seems.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Brianjeff50 wrote:

Crawford is pretty tiny so I doubt it would be but I was last guest at Sandy’s B&B - she’s cancelled the next few

Wishing you all the best - you seem to be doing well. :D

Just noting that the prospect of cancelling of B&B at short notice amongst many other things was a reason to decide not to JOGLE this September.