And I’m off!

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
whoof

Re: And I’m off!

Postby whoof » 6 Sep 2020, 10:37pm

Mick F wrote:This is the route I've taken a couple or three times.Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 18.35.06.png

Ridden it literally a thousand times due to necessity.
Goes past where I used to work and where I went to college on three separate occasions, cycle club weekly meetings and riding out to local time trials. Conurbation of Camborne, Tuckingmill, Pool & Redruth. Nothing to see other than very average buildings and relatively heavy traffic.

honesty

Postby honesty » 7 Sep 2020, 11:33am

Brianjeff50 wrote:Day Three Tiverton to Portishead Premier Inn. 77 miles. Thankfully flat but got soaked three times.
Memo to self: never take a cycle path unless you can see where it’s going. I took one that started by the A38 after Bridgwater but veered away into a giant spiders web of an estate that got me and the Satnav totally lost.
And what a nightmare junction with the M5 - cycling in the middle of the road between M5 north and M5 south aiming for an Aroad somewhere ahead.

would that be the Weston Super Mare junction to the M5? Ridiculous cycle path that crosses over the lanes of traffic then makes you cycle round the inside of the roundabout, then cross all the traffic again to get out onto the A370. Its all ok though, the MP there said it was "safe"... :roll:

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 7 Sep 2020, 12:30pm

honesty wrote:would that be the Weston Super Mare junction to the M5? Ridiculous cycle path that crosses over the lanes of traffic then makes you cycle round the inside of the roundabout, then cross all the traffic again to get out onto the A370. Its all ok though, the MP there said it was "safe"...

Your MP is an idiot my money is on a Tory.
2 years on and I can still vividly remember the traffic and the noise and my puncture in the midst of it all.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

honesty

Postby honesty » 7 Sep 2020, 1:14pm

Paulatic wrote:
honesty wrote:would that be the Weston Super Mare junction to the M5? Ridiculous cycle path that crosses over the lanes of traffic then makes you cycle round the inside of the roundabout, then cross all the traffic again to get out onto the A370. Its all ok though, the MP there said it was "safe"...

2 years on and I can still vividly remember the traffic and the noise and my puncture in the midst of it all.

you'd be correct on Tory... though it may have been the local councillor rather than then MP... my memory isnt great...

whoof

Postby whoof » 7 Sep 2020, 3:58pm

honesty wrote:
Paulatic wrote:

you'd be correct on Tory... though it may have been the local councillor rather than then MP... my memory isnt great...

Councillor Elphin App Rees. When asked on TV if he thought the cycle path was good he said that he thought cyclists would welcome a new cycle path not criticize it. When asked if he would be prepared to ride on it the response was "of course" when the interviewer said he had brought a bike so he could App Rees then declined.

Has since been suspended from the conservative party for comments on slavery.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-53014051

Brianjeff50

Postby Brianjeff50 » 7 Sep 2020, 8:41pm

Day Four - Portishead to (near) Ludlow 77 miles. A bad start - comprehensively lost after the Satnav decided to work with tomorrow’s route and then I found the Avon Cycleway obliterated by big building works. But I did finally get across the Bridge (after ignoring the ‘cycleway 4 is closed’ signs.
After all that I was running late so once through the Wye Valley (Lovely even in the rain) I opted for the A49 and duelling with juggernauts. A brief respite down some steep and narrow lanes before back onto the even nastier single carriage A49 - my least favourite road so far.
But I’m here in my Travelodge and ready for tomorrow’s run to Nantwich.
One third distance done :D

whoof

Postby whoof » 8 Sep 2020, 10:14am

Brianjeff50 wrote:Day Four - Portishead to (near) Ludlow 77 miles. A bad start - comprehensively lost after the Satnav decided to work with tomorrow’s route and then I found the Avon Cycleway obliterated by big building works. But I did finally get across the Bridge (after ignoring the ‘cycleway 4 is closed’ signs.
After all that I was running late so once through the Wye Valley (Lovely even in the rain) I opted for the A49 and duelling with juggernauts. A brief respite down some steep and narrow lanes before back onto the even nastier single carriage A49 - my least favourite road so far.

If anyone else is planning to go this way the building work is between Lawerence Weston Way and Lawrence Weston Rd. You can go down Long Cross Rd however the cycle path between here and Merebank Rd is a popular place for fly-tipping, yesterday there was a load dumped across almost the entire width of the path and burning out stolen vehilces. I tend to go through the industrial estate. There's a burger van on Poplar Way East if you fancy a tea.

https://cycle.travel/map/journey/180741

This building works have been in place for months but no detour signs have been put in place. When I first moved to Bristol the cycle/foot bridge that went over the motorway just beyond this had been removed after a lorry hit it. So there were signs taking you up a ramp, a gap across the motorway and another ramp in the distance, great if you are Evel Knievel.
I contacted Sustrans and offered to put up detour signs if they could provide them. After they failed to respond a few times I was told they had sufficient volunteers for the area and my services were not needed. Detour signs were never put in place and after a couple of years the bridge was replaced.

pwa

Postby pwa » 8 Sep 2020, 12:38pm

Brianjeff50 wrote:Day Four - Portishead to (near) Ludlow 77 miles. A bad start - comprehensively lost after the Satnav decided to work with tomorrow’s route and then I found the Avon Cycleway obliterated by big building works. But I did finally get across the Bridge (after ignoring the ‘cycleway 4 is closed’ signs.

I have driven up and down the A49 many times over the years and it has always seemed to me to be the kind of road you don't want to be on if you are cycling. I'd cycle it if somebody paid me to do it, but not for pleasure.

rareposter

Postby rareposter » 8 Sep 2020, 1:25pm

Yep, the A49 is horrible. The road you wanted was a mere mile or so to the west - from Leominster it goes directly north via Luston & Richard's Castle.

Slightly east of Hereford, A417 for a bit then the A49 for literally a couple of hundred metres, fork off left and it's straight north. Hopefully your day to Nantwich today will be less eventful!

Jamesh

Postby Jamesh » 8 Sep 2020, 3:13pm

Yeap a49 not a pleasant road.

Would only be on it if needs must.
If taking 2 weeks I'd be exploring all the little lanes and hamlets to the east and west.

Cheers James

Brianjeff50

Postby Brianjeff50 » 8 Sep 2020, 9:41pm

A much better day today - a little bit of A49 here and there but plenty of side lanes (with accompanying hills). No getting lost either - apart from a bit in Shrewsbury where they’ve altered the central road system for social distancing.
It’s been a sociable day too - rare on a solo trip. Called at a friend near Wem for lunch and staying with another at Nantwich - home cooked food and a beer. Perfect.

Brianjeff50

Postby Brianjeff50 » 9 Sep 2020, 5:40am

I recall a previous conversation about getting lost on the record attempt posts. I’m certainly discovering the limits of my Wahoo Elemnt Bolt.
Basically it only works on its preprogrammed routes and once off that route - after a warning beep - it goes mute. It will display a basic map of where you are but - as far as I’ve discovered- can’t steer you back on route.
That’s not a problem if you stay on route but if you need to go off piste it’s tough.
Google Maps is a good back up then but means constant stopping to re-check.
Oh and the bolt is about 25 feet late - not a lot but enough when nearing a complex routing choice.
It’s all been frustrating at times. I’ve got paper route maps too but things haven’t got that bad yet.

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 9 Sep 2020, 8:01am

Are you using TbT ?
If so and having problems have you tried breadcrumb mode as it can give you more of an idea of direction you are going to go in.
Sorry I’m not familiar with Wahoo so can’t help further.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 9 Sep 2020, 8:19am

If you think the problems with the device might be down to configuration etc I suggest starting a new thread with a specific Subject. That might attract an expert who isn't following your progress here.

Have a good day.

Jonathan

Brianjeff50

Postby Brianjeff50 » 9 Sep 2020, 10:20pm

Paulatic wrote:Are you using TbT ?

Sorry, you’ve lost me there.