And I’m off!

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Jdsk
Posts: 2277
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Re: And I’m off!

Postby Jdsk » 9 Sep 2020, 10:21pm

"Turn by Turn" navigation, I think.

Jonathan

Brianjeff50
Posts: 109
Joined: 17 Jul 2019, 1:50pm

Re: And I’m off!

Postby Brianjeff50 » 9 Sep 2020, 10:32pm

A thoroughly enjoyable day’s ride. 78 miles and eight hours from Nantwich to north of Preston but for the first 60 I barely touched a main road - country lanes, towpaths, cycleways. And all in that huge urban sprawl.
I recall it was Enigmadick who gave me the basic route - many thanks to him.
I was worried the complicated route would be tricky to follow but it was fine - even though the Satnav struggled at times.
I could have gone further off road but the canal towpath north of Wigan was pretty ropey in places so I baled out and used the A6 which wasn’t too bad even in rush hour.
Tomorrow to Penrith

User avatar
Paulatic
Posts: 5282
Joined: 2 Feb 2014, 1:03pm
Location: 24 Hours from Lands End

Re: And I’m off!

Postby Paulatic » 10 Sep 2020, 8:05am

You’re in the right part of the country now :wink:
A wind behind you too. :D Enjoy
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

matata
Posts: 83
Joined: 17 May 2011, 10:02pm

Re: And I’m off!

Postby matata » 10 Sep 2020, 8:36am

Thanks for the updates, following with interest as starting ours on Sat..Doing about 70/day with about 60/day in Cornwall..Same route as yours so far, then Moffat to Edinburgh and up the Old A9......getting excited, Nik

Brianjeff50
Posts: 109
Joined: 17 Jul 2019, 1:50pm

Re: And I’m off!

Postby Brianjeff50 » 12 Sep 2020, 6:31am

Near Moffat now after two tough days - the first was a day of two halves; some lovely coastal wandering from Preston and Glasson along the Lune Estuary cycleway to Lancaster and along the canal.
But the ‘highlight’ of the day was Shap - I dragged myself up it cursing the weight of the panniers. Bitterly cold at the top - +1C. Knackered by arrival at Penrith
Rain was forecast yesterday so I left at 7 am. Got through Carlisle ok (where I posted surplus stuff home!) but rain hit with a vengeance at Gretna. Fierce side winds too. Kit soon soaked, put on more layers, soaked them too! Stopped under a bridge and changed out of the wet inners for dry ones. Got them wet too!
It’s a bleak area - makes you realise how you can get into serious trouble.
Finally the rain stopped and I made it to my B&B just north of Moffat in Crawford. It’s a brilliant stop: Sandy at Glencaple Manse couldn’t be a better host.Dried all the kit. Does proper cooked dinners too. Many cyclists stay.
Find her on Airbnb.
Over the Forth Bridge to Kinross next.

Brianjeff50
Posts: 109
Joined: 17 Jul 2019, 1:50pm

Re: And I’m off!

Postby Brianjeff50 » 12 Sep 2020, 6:33am

matata wrote:Thanks for the updates, following with interest as starting ours on Sat..Doing about 70/day with about 60/day in Cornwall..Same route as yours so far, then Moffat to Edinburgh and up the Old A9......getting excited, Nik

Moffat area has just gone into lockdown - check where you can stay.

Brianjeff50
Posts: 109
Joined: 17 Jul 2019, 1:50pm

Re: And I’m off!

Postby Brianjeff50 » 12 Sep 2020, 8:00am

matata wrote:Thanks for the updates, following with interest as starting ours on Sat..Doing about 70/day with about 60/day in Cornwall..Same route as yours so far, then Moffat to Edinburgh and up the Old A9......getting excited, Nik

Correction to what I said earlier - Moffat is just outside the restrictions, a few miles up the road where I stayed last night is now in them!

User avatar
Paulatic
Posts: 5282
Joined: 2 Feb 2014, 1:03pm
Location: 24 Hours from Lands End

Re: And I’m off!

Postby Paulatic » 12 Sep 2020, 8:10am

I thought you would be coming through my patch yesterday and had intended a ride out to meet you. Chapeau to you I wasn’t going out in that rain it was an awful day. Well done :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

Enigmadick
Posts: 55
Joined: 5 Mar 2016, 11:28am

Re: And I’m off!

Postby Enigmadick » 12 Sep 2020, 8:59am

Was it actually noticeable that Crawford was in lockdown? I doubt it.
ENIGMA DICK aka Richard Barrett

pwa
Posts: 12708
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: And I’m off!

Postby pwa » 12 Sep 2020, 9:04am

Enigmadick wrote:Was it actually noticeable that Crawford was in lockdown? I doubt it.

There have been several versions of "lockdown". I wonder which one it is. If it were the sort currently operating in Caerphilly it would prevent you passing through unless your journey were "essential". I'm guessing it isn't that sort.

Enigmadick
Posts: 55
Joined: 5 Mar 2016, 11:28am

Re: And I’m off!

Postby Enigmadick » 12 Sep 2020, 9:16am

pwa wrote:
Enigmadick wrote:Was it actually noticeable that Crawford was in lockdown? I doubt it.

There have been several versions of "lockdown". I wonder which one it is. If it were the sort currently operating in Caerphilly it would prevent you passing through unless your journey were "essential". I'm guessing it isn't that sort.


It was meant as a joke pwa. Everything closed in Crawford well before Covid.
ENIGMA DICK aka Richard Barrett

pwa
Posts: 12708
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: And I’m off!

Postby pwa » 12 Sep 2020, 9:20am

Enigmadick wrote:
pwa wrote:
Enigmadick wrote:Was it actually noticeable that Crawford was in lockdown? I doubt it.

There have been several versions of "lockdown". I wonder which one it is. If it were the sort currently operating in Caerphilly it would prevent you passing through unless your journey were "essential". I'm guessing it isn't that sort.


It was meant as a joke pwa. Everything closed in Crawford well before Covid.

Ah!

My own memory of Crawford is midges. I had one of my worst midge episodes there. Also on LEJOG.

Brianjeff50
Posts: 109
Joined: 17 Jul 2019, 1:50pm

Re: And I’m off!

Postby Brianjeff50 » 12 Sep 2020, 9:22pm

Enigmadick wrote:Was it actually noticeable that Crawford was in lockdown? I doubt it.

Crawford is pretty tiny so I doubt it would be but I was last guest at Sandy’s B&B - she’s cancelled the next few

Brianjeff50
Posts: 109
Joined: 17 Jul 2019, 1:50pm

Re: And I’m off!

Postby Brianjeff50 » 12 Sep 2020, 9:27pm

A nice ride to the edge of Edinburgh today then a horrible bout of getting lost in the vast rookery that is Livingston. The Satnav gave up immediately (even Ride with GPS had the mapping wrong). It took forever to weave through endless footpaths before I was out and heading towards the Forth bridges. A great sight!
The last miles were a bit hilly and my backside a bit sore, then it rained a mile from tonight’s Travelodge. More rain tomorrow it seems.

LittleGreyCat
Posts: 797
Joined: 7 Aug 2013, 8:31pm

Re: And I’m off!

Postby LittleGreyCat » 14 Sep 2020, 12:40pm

Brianjeff50 wrote:
Enigmadick wrote:Was it actually noticeable that Crawford was in lockdown? I doubt it.

Crawford is pretty tiny so I doubt it would be but I was last guest at Sandy’s B&B - she’s cancelled the next few


Wishing you all the best - you seem to be doing well. :D

Just noting that the prospect of cancelling of B&B at short notice amongst many other things was a reason to decide not to JOGLE this September.