lejog advice please

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
matt2matt2002

Re: lejog advice please

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Excellent work all round.
Many thanks.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
innmk

Post by innmk »

Thanks for all the great info, I have now finished a draft route from LE to Wigan
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

innmk wrote:Thanks for all the great info, I have now finished a draft route from LE to Wigan

I'd be interested in a gpx link.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
spen666

Post by spen666 »

robgul wrote:
cycleruk wrote:
Jamesh wrote:Definitely follow Mick route through Cornwall and Devon take other routes at your peril!
You could do what I did and take the Mersey ferry!
Is it cheating I don't know but saved the Manchester / Warrington conurbation.
The A5 north isn't too bad as the M6 is nearby.
Cheers James

The O.P. is overnighting at Wigan so the Wirral/Mersey detour would be a bit out of his way.

Like INNMK points out people talk about the "old A30" but it doesn't say that on maps. It would be more helpful if the current road designation was used, or as above, a list of villages and towns to aim at.

Agreed "the old A30" is a bit like the local giving directions to a visitor "Turn left where the old barn used to be" :D

I like that
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

A49 is horrible. Avoid. Likewise A38 east of the Severn but you can pick your way to Gloucester on the back roads and cycle ways easily. If going west of the Severn the A48 is as bad. For some reason people chose the Wye Valley from Chepstow to Monmouth. Nearly as bad. Busy, narrow and no views apart from trees. Even Tintern abbey needs its roof fitting :lol:
island girl

Post by island girl »

Mick F states:
other end of Blackwater, you come to a roundabout at Three Burrows. Get on the A30. It’s single carriageway mainly and ok to cycle on. In the future, they are going to dual this stretch and I’m going to have to sort out a better cycling route!

You could turn off at Three Burrows onto the A3075 towards Newquay, but I think that’s taking you out of your way. Some folk have gone that way, then worked their way east back along the A392 through Quintrell Downs to pick up my described route.

Follow the A30 to Zelah - turn off the main road and go through the village Old A30 - and out again for a short time back on the A30 turning off left through St Newlyn East.

Cross the A3058 at Gummow’s Shop and cross the A392 at White Cross and go through St Columb Major.

I am plotting Mick F route from LE to St Columb Major. A couple of concerns - I have been told to avoid A30 as it is a very busy road. Is the A30 ok traffic wise between Penzance and Hayle ? Is the A30 ok traffic wise between Blackwater and St Columb Major ? Is there a hard shoulder ?
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I'd think about going via Newquay on the A3075 alot less traffic than the a30 which gets more and more busy.

Cheers James
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Is that the way you went James?
DaveBeck

Post by DaveBeck »

island girl wrote:
I am plotting Mick F route from LE to St Columb Major. A couple of concerns - I have been told to avoid A30 as it is a very busy road. Is the A30 ok traffic wise between Penzance and Hayle ? Is the A30 ok traffic wise between Blackwater and St Columb Major ? Is there a hard shoulder ?

Hi,

I cycle these roads, or at least some of them regularly. The A30 between Penzance can be a very busy road, although I personally like this bit as it is a fast road to cycle. There is a cycle lane of sorts, more farcility than facility in places, but you can keep far enough over to be clear of the vehicles. Go through Hayle, as it's flatter than the bypass.

The A30 between Blackwater and Zelah is an awful road to cycle, depending upon the day and time you cycle it. No hard shoulder or even the usual "cycle lane made out of the gutter" farcility we so often see. I rode it early on Sunday morning around 9am back in 2006, when we did our LEJOG. At that time it's not so bad. But during weekdays, if traffic gets back to pre-lockdown levels, I'd ride it, probably, but I'd be glad when I'd completed that bit.

If you are going to St Columb Major from Blackwater, you will be taking the road towards Newquay. It can also be a busy road and there's no wide gutter or hard shoulder, but not as bad as the A30.

Dave B
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Don't know why a lot of people cross the Severn bridge and go through ludlow. Somebody else had put their route on here and were planning on the A41 from Tong up to Whitchurch, its a terrible road surface and loads of lorries use it from the A54 up to Chester.
I live in perton, south staffs and I can get up to Loggerheads using only quiet lanes and apart from the last couple of miles its dead flat.
Plot your route on Garmin express and it shows you an elevation chart.
nickyboy

Post by nickyboy »

Be very interested to hear your Perton to Loggerheads route as our LEJOG route goes via Ludstone and Loggerheads and I'm always looking to squeeze some climbing out

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30825482
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Hi, I've always used Garmin connect, I have got an account with Ride With GPS but how do I share a route on here like you've done?
I've noticed at Wolverley you're turning into Lea Lane, this has been closed to traffic for about 3 years due to subsidence but ignore the road closed signs as you can still get through on a bike!
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35393126
Think I've done it, I've ridden on all of these roads over the last 45 years and that's the route I'd take now. The bit up to Wetwood is a bit of a climb and then to Loggerheads its a slight drag for about a mile but then its downhill to Loggerheads and you get to see John Caldwells mansion on your right!
PAY-John-Caudwell.jpg
Last edited by philvantwo on 14 Mar 2021, 7:57am, edited 1 time in total.
Enigmadick

Post by Enigmadick »

Be very interested to hear your Perton to Loggerheads route as our LEJOG route goes via Ludstone and Loggerheads and I'm always looking to squeeze some climbing out

I rode a variant of that for the new Cicerone guidebook and remember it as very flat. https://cycle.travel/map/journey/116626
ENIGMA DICK aka Richard Barrett
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

philvantwo wrote:Is that the way you went James?

Yes I did. I went to Morrisons for lunch but the they were busy so had a sandwich... Only looking at the map today and realised there was a McDonald's right behind it doh!!!

Cheers James