CyclingUK Route?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Stoo61

CyclingUK Route?

Post by Stoo61 »

Hi chaps and chapesses,

I can only assume this has been asked before but I'm struggling to find it.

Wondering what are the cons of using the CyclingUK LEJOG route as it is as a GPX file.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/route/gpx-file-lands-end-john-o-groats-main-route-lejog-or-end-end

Ive popped it into Komoot and my main concern is its use of canal paths and the like. Is it worth just tweaking it?

I'm looking to do solo, as quick as possible, direct, while avoiding dual carriageways and the super busy roads...ya know, the Holy Grail. Not looking to break any records, just smash it out on an out n out roadie.

Thanks.
Paulatic

Re: CyclingUK Route?

Post by Paulatic »

I stumbled across this resource the other day. Looks like older CTC material hosted on a groups 2017 JOGLE. I’ve never seen it before but looks quite good info.
There are other CTC routes listed there.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Stoo61

Post by Stoo61 »

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/34849205

Found this on another forum and tweaked it on the roads I know in Scotland at least, looks like just what I'm after.

Think it was done for a 7 day LEJOG route.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

That’s a strange route for 7 day ride. Some nice roads in there with unnecessary climbing not what I’d associate with 'getting on'.
e.g. Moffat to Edinburgh I know from experience A701 is quicker. Your route is lovely but also leads you into Edinburgh. Have you any idea how much time you’ll loose navigating through the city?

E2E info
innmk

Post by innmk »

Your Moffat to Edinburgh route is not a fast route and you have some long drags near innerleithen, it is a very nice ride though, its one of my regular rides.

If I was wanting to do this quickly, go on the A701 up over the devils beeftub climb, then route via Peebles, then Penicuik, then you will enter Edinburgh on the west and you can easily route to the bridge.

My planned route next year of course ignores my advice, I'm going via Eskadale muir to Innerleithen, (free accommodation point). Travelling to Edinburgh via pebbles/Penicuik, only to reduce the climbing, road can be busy at times, but its flat. Your route over the granites again is nice, but it is not fast.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

innmk wrote:
My planned route next year of course ignores my advice, I'm going via Eskadale muir to Innerleithen, (free accommodation point). Travelling to Edinburgh via pebbles/Penicuik, only to reduce the climbing, road can be busy at times, but its flat. Your route over the granites again is nice, but it is not fast.

Instinctively, from viewing a map, I’d always thought going via Eskdalemuir was more direct if not a bit hillier. I love that route and do it at least once a year.
Experience tells me going to Innerleithen , starting from Lockerbie, it’s five mile shorter going via Moffat Water and around a thousand foot less climbing. I'll guarantee it’s quicker but it does bypass the Community Hub cafe at Eskdalemuir. :(

E2E info
Stoo61

Post by Stoo61 »

Paulatic wrote:That’s a strange route for 7 day ride. Some nice roads in there with unnecessary climbing not what I’d associate with 'getting on'.
e.g. Moffat to Edinburgh I know from experience A701 is quicker. Your route is lovely but also leads you into Edinburgh. Have you any idea how much time you’ll loose navigating through the city?

Sorry for late reply! Thanks for your replies folks! The A701 is a good call. I have been editing the route gradually over the weeks n months, but of course its hard to know what roads are like if you dont know them.

I know Edinburgh very well so no issue with city navigation. (Obviously micturating about with traffic lights n stuff but theres something about riding through Edinburgh I really like for this)

I think im happy with it now, it is what it is and will never be perfect.

My plan is also to find accommodation on the fly, using my phone etc. The thinking being, if one day I feel great and want to stick in a huuuuuge day I can keep going to the next town sorta thing. How stupid is this in May, for instance?