2021 LEJOG

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
puffin

Re: 2021 LEJOG

Post by puffin »

Hi there
I've done LEJOG a few times and never experienced any hostility North of the border, even when at a B&B I ordered a Full English...this caused a sharp intake of breath and a long hard look but that was all. Enjoy the tour, I hear they can be a great way to do it.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Tiggertoo wrote: 2 Jun 2021, 4:59pm I am reading a lot about the hostility being shown by the Scots to the English, has anyone actually had this experience?
Where on earth have you read that garbage?
Wimps LEJOG most hospitable place of whole trip would Evanton. Grumpiest place was Devon.

Remember Scotland is a different country and when in Rome do as the Romans do.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Tiggertoo wrote: 2 Jun 2021, 4:59pm I am registered to do LeJog via a tour - someone else carrying by stuff - but am mulling over doing it bikepacking - more of an adventure. 8)
I am reading a lot about the hostility being shown by the Scots to the English, has anyone actually had this experience?
I suspect much of it is apocryphal and mainly depends on personality, but I do wonder if it is an issue. Anyone?
I've done plenty of tours in Scotland plus LEJOG a few times and never once had any hostility from a Scottish person on account of being English. I mean, a few idiot drivers but that's standard - I wasn't wearing a George Cross cycling top or anything! B&B / campsite owners have all been great as have cafes, pubs, distilleries etc.

The worst one is going back to England and trying to spend Scottish notes. It's fine up around the border area - Lakes and Northumberland are close enough that they see Scottish currency regularly but try paying for groceries anywhere south of Manchester with Scottish money - they look at you like you're tying to pay with Monopoly money!

If you're doing bikepacking, you'll find that Scotland is far more open about wild camping too. In England it's not technically legal in most places although it is (generally) tolerated if you're discreet about it. In Scotland, the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003, allows you to camp on most unenclosed land (there are restrictions around Loch Lomond and Trossachs though).
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

I've done two trips to Scotland since the start of May, and everyone I've met has been friendly and helpful. Genuinely mystified that anyone outside a tabloid (or telegraph) headline has experienced anything different.
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Good news then! I was practicing to do my Scots accent: "Aye my wee laddie" in place of my southern voice and that sort of thing, but glad to know it will not be necessary - or embarrassing? :oops:
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Puffin said: "..and I'm doing B&B"

Is there a particular web site you used to find the B&B's?
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I used booking.com not the cheapest perhaps but convenient.

Cheers James
puffin

Post by puffin »

Jamesh wrote: 4 Jun 2021, 8:55am I used booking.com not the cheapest perhaps but convenient.

Cheers James
Yea! Me too!
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Tiggertoo wrote: 3 Jun 2021, 6:22pm Puffin said: "..and I'm doing B&B"

As others have mentioned, booking.com
There have been occasions where I've been on a rather loosely defined "tour" with vague ideas of roughly where I'll be and I've booked accommodation for that night from the roadside 20 miles away.

A friend once arrived in a city (somewhere in Europe, a new city to her), rolled up outside a hotel and decided that it looked nice, got on the app and booked it, went and got a pizza then wandered into the lobby:
"Hi I have a reservation"
The hotel apparently looked a bit taken aback at the sweaty cycle tourist wheeling her bike and bikepacking gear into their lobby but actually turned out to be superb. :-)

It certainly saves cycling round trying to find places with a "vacancies" sign!
puffin

Post by puffin »

Tiggertoo wrote: 3 Jun 2021, 6:22pm Puffin said: "..and I'm doing B&B"

Also with booking.com if you use the "show on map" facility, it also shows you the position and availability of other nearby options which really helps with route planning.
puffin

Post by puffin »

Hi again, just a long shot, anyone from Bristol know of any cycle path closures? I have tried searching but can only find road closures.
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Thanks for all the responses to the B&B question.
Sandhouse

Post by Sandhouse »

puffin wrote: 4 Jun 2021, 6:21pm Hi again, just a long shot, anyone from Bristol know of any cycle path closures? I have tried searching but can only find road closures.
Looking at your route, the Bristol/Bath railway path and the cycle path along the ring road were all good when I rode them a week ago. There’s a handy cafe, the Warmley Waiting Room part way along the path too.
Paulc

Post by Paulc »

Tigertoo (?) where are you reading this tosh "I am reading a lot about the hostility being shown by the Scots to the English, has anyone actually had this experience?"
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Paulc wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 8:21am Tigertoo (?) where are you reading this tosh "I am reading a lot about the hostility being shown by the Scots to the English, has anyone actually had this experience?"
I think it's from one woman who thinks she speaks for all Scots!!!

Cheers James