2021 LEJOG

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
puffin

Re: 2021 LEJOG

Post by puffin »

Here's my schedule
Day 0 train down, then to LE
Day 1 Camelford
Day 2 Tiverton
Day 3 Chew Magna
Day 4 Ross on Wye
Day 5 Much Wenlock
Day 6 B ucklow
Day 7 Slaidburn
Day 8 Langwathby
Day 9 Tushielaw
Day 10 Kinross
Day 11 Glenshee
Day 12 Grantown on Spey
Day 13 Bonar Bridge
Day 14 Bettyhill
Day 15 JOG

In case I can't get a bicycle place on the Wick Inverness train I can shorten the journey by a day by extending Day 11 and rebooking, then I can cycle down to Inverness. In case I can't a bicycle place on the train down to Penzance, I have a unsuspecting brother who is currently surprised but happy at the amount of help around his house I am giving him. Sowing the seeds, sowing the seeds.
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

puffin wrote: 3 Apr 2021, 11:46am In case I can't get a bicycle place on the Wick Inverness train I can shorten the journey by a day by extending Day 11 and rebooking, then I can cycle down to Inverness.
I expect you're aware of this, but as an alternative to the train from Inverness, you could consider cycling JOG-Gills Bay (c.20 mins), ferry to St Margaret's Hope (Orkney), cycle to Kirkwall (c.100 mins), overnight ferry to Aberdeen, which IIRC leaves around midnight and arrives c. 06:00. It is (or certainly used to be) straightforward to get a fast train from Aberdeen to points south, and you avoid the Wick-Inverness bottleneck.
puffin

Post by puffin »

nosmarbaj wrote: 5 Apr 2021, 11:20am
puffin wrote: 3 Apr 2021, 11:46am In case I can't get a bicycle place on the Wick Inverness train I can shorten the journey by a day by extending Day 11 and rebooking, then I can cycle down to Inverness.
I expect you're aware of this, but as an alternative to the train from Inverness, you could consider cycling JOG-Gills Bay (c.20 mins), ferry to St Margaret's Hope (Orkney), cycle to Kirkwall (c.100 mins), overnight ferry to Aberdeen, which IIRC leaves around midnight and arrives c. 06:00. It is (or certainly used to be) straightforward to get a fast train from Aberdeen to points south, and you avoid the Wick-Inverness bottleneck.
Huge thanks, I had no idea of this option at all. I'm on the case

Best wishes and thanks
Bill
puffin

Post by puffin »

puffin wrote: 6 Apr 2021, 9:48am
nosmarbaj wrote: 5 Apr 2021, 11:20am
Huge thanks, I had no idea of this option at all. I'm on the case

Best wishes and thanks
Bill
Thanks again
The 18.45 ferry to St. Margarets, cycle up to Kirkwall to get the 23.00 ferry. Pick up any of a range of trains from Aberdeen which get me home via Bicester without going through London. Also....maybe I've been too focussed on the sleeper. Why not rearrange and use the normal day service from Inverness? Its good to listen, many thanks.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Around Taunton I’d do the following if you’re interested in a slightly easier ride.

The route you’ve got from Wellington is Ok, but gets a bit awkward through Castle school in Taunton. Instead, from Allerford, go into Norton Fitzwarren, then pick up the Great Western Way by cutting in behind the co-op. Follow this out to Silk Mills, then take Bindon Road and Trenchard way to link back up to your route on the canal.

After Taunton, if I wanted to get to Cheddar I’d do the following... canal out to Creed St. Michael, then - Follow the back road through Ham, Knapp, North Curry, Athelney. Then on through Othery, sharp wick, and Wedmore, and in to Cheddar.
puffin

Post by puffin »

honesty wrote: 6 Apr 2021, 1:21pm Around Taunton I’d do the following if you’re interested in a slightly easier ride.

The route you’ve got from Wellington is Ok, but gets a bit awkward through Castle school in Taunton. Instead, from Allerford, go into Norton Fitzwarren, then pick up the Great Western Way by cutting in behind the co-op. Follow this out to Silk Mills, then take Bindon Road and Trenchard way to link back up to your route on the canal.

After Taunton, if I wanted to get to Cheddar I’d do the following... canal out to Creed St. Michael, then - Follow the back road through Ham, Knapp, North Curry, Athelney. Then on through Othery, sharp wick, and Wedmore, and in to Cheddar.
Many thanks for this, I've amended the route. Its great, it misses out Bridgewater! Yea!! I will miss cycling through Horsey....great name.

I've attached the route if you get a minute to see if it looks right. Thanks again

Bill

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28738505
honesty

Post by honesty »

puffin wrote: 6 Apr 2021, 6:32pm
Many thanks for this, I've amended the route. Its great, it misses out Bridgewater! Yea!! I will miss cycling through Horsey....great name.

I've attached the route if you get a minute to see if it looks right. Thanks again

Bill

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28738505
No problem. Trenchard way actually has a decent cycle lane along the length of it, but counterintuitively you get to it by going down Chip Lane from the roundabout.

Also, the cafe in North Curry is the best around.
puffin

Post by puffin »

Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

To Kinross
at Leadburn I once took that turn right thinking it would be a quieter road. I think it was late morning when I got there. I quickly discovered it’s a rat run and obviously not as wide as A701.
I’ve always stuck to A701, since that experience, and through Penicuik.
When you come off the bridge on the East side there’s a path to take avoids your routing of 'Ferrytoll roundabout'
Last edited by Paulatic on 7 Apr 2021, 12:34pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
puffin

Post by puffin »

Paulatic wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 12:23pm To Kinross
at Leadburn I once took that turn right thinking it would be a quieter road. I think it was late morning when I got there. I quickly discovered it’s a rat run and obviously not as wide as A701.
I’ve always stuck to A701, since that experience, and through Penicuik.
Thanks again Paulatic, amended as suggested. I remember the road being faster than I expected.
Best wishes
Bill
honesty

Post by honesty »

Day 3 after Silverton, don’t go through Brandninch as there is an absolute killer climb out of it, turn right through Hele and onto the B3181. It gets you to the same roundabout in Cullompton but is a better ride.

I’m assuming you’re going to Appledore to use the campsite? (Otherwise I’d suggest going through Ufculme, Nicholashayne, Sampford Moor to get to Wellington).
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

puffin wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 11:59am Just a long shot, if anybody wants to look at their local part of the route and suggest any tweaks, I'd be very grateful.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/22969258 to Langwathby
I would do everything possible to avoid that 2-mile stretch on the A65 at the 18-mile point. Cross straight over and go through Ireby and Leck - at least when you rejoin the A65 it's only about half a mile.

Genuine question - how come you're stopping at Bettyhill? JOG is a fairly easy spin from Bonar Bridge, I know it's 100 miles but once up onto the moor north of BB it's downhill all the way past Altnaharra and then flat/downhill all the way to the coast. The coast road is a bit more rolling, it's got a couple of long undulating climbs but there's so little traffic on it that it's usually fairly pleasant.
Toffee

Post by Toffee »

rareposter wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 1:01pm Genuine question - how come you're stopping at Bettyhill? JOG is a fairly easy spin from Bonar Bridge, I know it's 100 miles but once up onto the moor north of BB it's downhill all the way past Altnaharra and then flat/downhill all the way to the coast. The coast road is a bit more rolling, it's got a couple of long undulating climbs but there's so little traffic on it that it's usually fairly pleasant.
I think Mrs T would disagree violently with you about it being all down hill to the coast. There is the small matter of the hill out of Bettyhill and as you say it is rolling along the coast, again Mrs T would call it "bloody steep" on the 4 or 5 hills after Bettyhill. there is also the small matter of the wind which can be very strongly against you as you cycle along the coast, as was the case in 2018 when we did our LEJOG. There is also a very nice pub called the Farr Bay Inn in which to stay the night in Bettyhill.

Of course everyone's experience is different
Last edited by Toffee on 8 Apr 2021, 7:23am, edited 1 time in total.
griggsy

Post by griggsy »

To Kinross: Would recommend staying or at least stopping at Samye Ling Monastery if you can. Amazing place in an amazing place. Also takes care of the lack of shops after Langholm. Can’t remember seeing any shops between Langholm and the Pub at Yarrow (careful at that crossroads) or maybe even Peebles.
griggsy

Post by griggsy »

Also, that ride from St Margaret’s Hope up to Kirkwall can be a real slog if the wind is in the wrong direction. Give yourself as much time as you can otherwise it could be stressful. Hatston ferry terminal is outside the town, grab food before you head out there.