2021 LEJOG

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Paulatic

Re: 2021 LEJOG

Post by Paulatic »

griggsy wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 9:50pm To Kinross: ... Also takes care of the lack of shops after Langholm. Can’t remember seeing any shops between Langholm and the Pub at Yarrow (careful at that crossroads) or maybe even Peebles.
Shop at Eskdalemuir Community Hub
Shop on caravan site on rhs of road between Ettrick and Tushielaw.
Have a good feed at the Community Hub you won’t need any shops :D
Anyway you’re staying at Tushielaw you won’t need any of that the last 8 mls are down hill. :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
griggsy

Post by griggsy »

Ah right, I think the Hub may have been closed, or even possibly in use as LEL control when I went through heading for the monastery. End of a long day starting in Kendal.
puffin

Post by puffin »

Paulatic wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 10:21pm
griggsy wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 9:50pm To Kinross: ... Also takes care of the lack of shops after Langholm. Can’t remember seeing any shops between Langholm and the Pub at Yarrow (careful at that crossroads) or maybe even Peebles.
Anyway you’re staying at Tushielaw you won’t need any of that the last 8 mls are down hill. :D
Thanks guys, good points. The wonderful end of day descent into Tushielaw is followed by the equally exhilarating descent to Yarrow... second only to the descent into Tomintoul which for me is my favourite stretch of LEJOG .
puffin

Post by puffin »

honesty wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 12:53pm Day 3 after Silverton, don’t go through Brandninch as there is an absolute killer climb out of it, turn right through Hele and onto the B3181. It gets you to the same roundabout in Cullompton but is a better ride.

I’m assuming you’re going to Appledore to use the campsite? (Otherwise I’d suggest going through Ufculme, Nicholashayne, Sampford Moor to get to Wellington).
Thanks Honesty, its much appreciated. This section is the only one that is new to me (until now I've gone through Tiverton) so any advice is gratefully received. Thanks again.
puffin

Post by puffin »

rareposter wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 1:01pm
puffin wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 11:59am Just a long shot, if anybody wants to look at their local part of the route and suggest any tweaks, I'd be very grateful.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/22969258 to Langwathby
I would do everything possible to avoid that 2-mile stretch on the A65 at the 18-mile point. Cross straight over and go through Ireby and Leck - at least when you rejoin the A65 it's only about half a mile.

Genuine question - how come you're stopping at Bettyhill? JOG is a fairly easy spin from Bonar Bridge, I know it's 100 miles but once up onto the moor north of BB it's downhill all the way past Altnaharra and then flat/downhill all the way to the coast. The coast road is a bit more rolling, it's got a couple of long undulating climbs but there's so little traffic on it that it's usually fairly pleasant.
So far, fingers crossed, I've found the A65 relatively quiet as I temporarily join it, but your alternative makes a lot of sense, many thanks.
Re: Bettyhill to JOG.....I find the first miles out of Bettyhill tough. However...due to problems with trains, I might have to do that!
Thanks again
puffin

Post by puffin »

griggsy wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 9:50pm To Kinross: Would recommend staying or at least stopping at Samye Ling Monastery if you can. Amazing place in an amazing place. Also takes care of the lack of shops after Langholm. Can’t remember seeing any shops between Langholm and the Pub at Yarrow (careful at that crossroads) or maybe even Peebles.
Thanks for that, to my shame I've cycled past it everytime, wondering "What is that place?" Now I know to stop and try it. And I know what you mean about the Yarrow X road, slightly off kilter with a fast road.
griggsy

Post by griggsy »

Yes I saw a very near miss that would have been horrific whilst I was sat outside the pub, the landlord said it happens all the time. Really enjoyed that stretch though, at least until Peebles, then the weather turned and it got busier again. Camped on the beach next to the FRB that night.
puffin

Post by puffin »

Toffee wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 3:40pm
rareposter wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 1:01pm Genuine question - how come you're stopping at Bettyhill? JOG is a fairly easy spin from Bonar Bridge, I know it's 100 miles but once up onto the moor north of BB it's downhill all the way past Altnaharra and then flat/downhill all the way to the coast. The coast road is a bit more rolling, it's got a couple of long undulating climbs but there's so little traffic on it that it's usually fairly pleasant.
I think Mrs T would disagree violently with you about it being all down hill to the coast. There is the small matter of the hill out of Bettyhill and as you say it is rolling along the coast, again Mrs T would call it "bloody steep" on the 4 or 5 hills after Bettyhill. there is also the small matter of the wind which can be very strongly against you as you cycle along the coast, as was the case in 2018 when we did our LEJOG. There is also a very nice pub called the Farr Bay Inn in which to stay the night in Bettyhill.

Of course everyone's experience is different
Rings true with me! Except.....14th June 2018, I had a massive Atlantic Gale blowing up my backside: easiest last day ever :)
puffin

Post by puffin »

Can anyone advise me on a change of route? I'm planning to shave a day off by going from Kinross straight North up through Perth. Up til now I've gone out to the West of Perth, via Methven. The route into Perth looks to be on a safe back road, and there are cycle lanes in and just after Perth un til I get back on the B roads. Has anyone got any experience of this area? Thanks in advance Bill
Nessie23

Post by Nessie23 »

Your route around the west of Perth does appear unnecessarily long, particularly as you are taking the Glenshee route over Cairngorms. Many years ago I cycled Inverness to Edinburgh via Blairgowrie. From Blairgowrie we took the A93 past Scone Palace and crossed the Tay in Perth. From memory the road was rough but not too busy (a relatively quiet A-road but fast for cars) and quite scenic as it roughly follows the Tay. I honestly can’t remember the route from Perth to the Forth Bridge but am sure we went thru Bridge of Earn. Hopefully, somebody local or with more recent knowledge will be along to help but I would not be worried about using A-roads in that area.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I’ve done from Kinross route 775 through Perth and then route 77 > Logierait then onto R7 to Pitlochry. A lovely ride :D

E2E info
nickyboy

Post by nickyboy »

Paulatic wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 10:21pm
Hoping that the Hub will be open for business when we pass by in July. We are going from Gretna to Tushielaw via Castle O'er as that road up to Eskdalemuir looks ace. But the Hub is the only choice for 40 miles
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

nickyboy wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 8:58pm Hoping that the Hub will be open for business when we pass by in July. We are going from Gretna to Tushielaw via Castle O'er as that road up to Eskdalemuir looks ace. But the Hub is the only choice for 40 miles
It’s opening again from this Thursday.
Hours for now are Thursday to Sunday 10 til 4. Whether that will change as the year goes on I can’t say.
It’s a lovely road, I’ve a circuit takes in Castle O'er with a compulsory stop at the Hub :)

E2E info
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

That sounds a lovely trip spill the beans!

I could drive up to Carlisle without too much difficulty for a day trip on new roads.

Cheers James
puffin

Post by puffin »

Paulatic wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 3:10pm I’ve done from Kinross route 775 through Perth and then route 77 > Logierait then onto R7 to Pitlochry. A lovely ride :D
Thanks again Paulatic, that;s the kind of loca knowledge I need, much appreciated.

Best wishes

Bill