Newbie cyclist doing LEJOG 2021

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
robgul

Re: Newbie cyclist doing LEJOG 2021

Post by robgul »

Paulatic wrote:
Cowsham wrote:what if you get called for your cv19 jab for the time your supposed to be away?

That’s an interesting question which occurred to me yesterday. I put my details into the "when will you get your vaccine calculator" and it told me from May21. The exact, usual for me, period I’m planning a bike tour.
I will carry on planning and even buying a train ticket to Thurso. I’m working on the assumption we will receive 7-10 days notice and can change plans to be back in time.
Will I abort plans to get the vaccine? yes
My trip isn’t an E2E though and I’d hate to arrive at LE the same day I got notification of an appointment. What would your decision be then?

I'd be inclined to take any predictions on dates with a very large pinch of salt . . . too many variables (the recent flu jab season was an example - with dates/availability changing)

Don't take my comment as being negative - my sleeve is rolled up and ready!
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Paulatic wrote:
Cowsham wrote:what if you get called for your cv19 jab for the time your supposed to be away?

That’s an interesting question which occurred to me yesterday. I put my details into the "when will you get your vaccine calculator" and it told me from May21. The exact, usual for me, period I’m planning a bike tour.
I will carry on planning and even buying a train ticket to Thurso. I’m working on the assumption we will receive 7-10 days notice and can change plans to be back in time.
My trip isn’t an E2E though and I’d hate to arrive at LE the same day I got notification of an appointment. What would your decision be then?

as far as I'm aware most invitations for the jab are very short notice ... but I think there's a choice to get rescheduled ... not sure what I'd do but think I'd just stick to my plan for now .. if it happened then while away I'd try to arrange someone keep bike and gear and try to get travel home and back to bike although that might take too long since you may need to wait a day to check for side effects.
I am here. Where are you?
BeerMonster

Post by BeerMonster »

Yes - an interesting point. My vaccination date range is well before my trip - but of course unless herd immunity is established we still have to be careful with social distancing etc. I’ve taken a bit of a punt tbh - and have in fact already booked a return flight from Inverness to Gatwick. But it was such a cheap flight it was worth the hit if it doesn’t come to fruition (I haven’t added bike/bags to that flight yet - so it was literally £19). Other things like first / last night B&B reservations can be cancelled with 48hrs notice.

If the vaccine isn’t in my arm by pedal-off date - then I may have to review things a bit - but until then I’ll be an optimist.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Cowsham wrote:
Paulatic wrote:

as far as I'm aware most invitations for the jab are very short notice ... but I think there's a choice to get rescheduled ... not sure what I'd do but think I'd just stick to my plan for now .. if it happened then while away I'd try to arrange someone keep bike and gear and try to get travel home and back to bike although that might take too long since you may need to wait a day to check for side effects.

2 aspects:
You'll need somebody at home opening the post. I had such a problem with VED when I was away in S. America - renewal letter (with online code) sitting in my letter box and no way to pay online. So if you invite letter arrives day after you depart home. You could make sure your GP practice has your mobile number but mine does yet the other day I got a letter from them "We don't have your mobile and want to give you a flu vaccination ..."

Also, now the 2nd injection is being slipped to be 12 weeks after the 1st, that will slip the 2nd injection way into the summer for many (3 months after the 1st) so double the potential disruption (unless they'll book the booster when you are given the 1st injection).

Ian
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I’ve given my surgery my mobile number at least twice in the last 10 years. I’ve also given my mobile to the pharmacy and received a txt to say my prescription ready to pick up. The last two prescriptions no notification and I had to go in on spec. Last visit I asked why wasn’t I getting txt notifications. Lady looks on system and says there is no mobile number on record for you. :roll:
Short of tearing my hair out or banging my head on the counter what on Earth do you have to do? Lovely people but absolutely useless when it comes to any IT.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

I've heard that most are contacted via phone call if possible to speed things up -- except of course if your in a care home etc.
puffin

Post by puffin »

No kidding, my latest estimated first jab date is one day before I leave, and the second jab estimated date is after I get back :)
horizon

Post by horizon »

puffin wrote:No kidding, my latest estimated first jab date is one day before I leave, and the second jab estimated date is after I get back :)

Just perusing the posts above and I'm curious about the time relationship betwen jab and trip. AIUI, if you have an idea as to when your jab might be, it means (possibly) that you are in a high priority group. Given that the lockdown is intended to last (again AIUI) until the high priority groups are vaccinated, does it not mean that you cannot go away until you have had your jab in which case there is no conflict (unless of course you have specific dates booked)?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

horizon wrote:
puffin wrote:No kidding, my latest estimated first jab date is one day before I leave, and the second jab estimated date is after I get back :)

Just perusing the posts above and I'm curious about the time relationship betwen jab and trip. AIUI, if you have an idea as to when your jab might be, it means (possibly) that you are in a high priority group. Given that the lockdown is intended to last (again AIUI) until the high priority groups are vaccinated, does it not mean that you cannot go away until you have had your jab in which case there is no conflict (unless of course you have specific dates booked)?

surely that all depends on what the situation is at that time and better to judge then.
puffin

Post by puffin »

Cowsham wrote:
horizon wrote:

surely that all depends on what the situation is at that time and better to judge then.

Horizon and Cowsham, good thinking. My way round it is to book a cancellable Caledonian Sleeper Ticket and hold off booking accommodation till we know more.