Where do I start please

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Madame Cholet

Where do I start please

Post by Madame Cholet »

I cycle as my main form of transport between 4 miles and 20 miles a day. I've recently bought a new Burley Nomad trailer and would like to work up to LEJOG in 2022. I've done a few multiday hikes from guide books but don't know where to start. I like staying in hostel type accommodation first choice so I guess that helps. I like quiet roads and well made up off roads and dislike built up areas. I think 3 weeks in April or May.
cycleruk

Re: Where do I start please

Post by cycleruk »

Hi' Welcome to the forum.
Initially, if you want to use the trailer, then you have to get it and the bike to the start and back from the end.
If using hostels than you can travel a lot lighter and not need the trailer. Yes you will still need some form of luggage to carry clothing and essentials.
Allowing for 4 days getting to LE and back from JoG then that leaves 17 days for the ride. That would be about 50 miles per day (900 miles depending on route) but you must be able to do that day after day. On the other hand you could have rest days but up the mileage on other days to compensate.
Overnight stops will also determine the days mileage and the route so be prepared for longer days.
Unfortunately you will have to go through some built areas but use these to do shopping and sustenance stops.

Well that's a start. :wink:
Cheers.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
robgul

Post by robgul »

As always www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk for loads of resources and Journals.

As the other post suggests I think the trailer would be more of a liability than an asset - if you need a trailer then you're taking too much stuff!! Rack & panniers will work.

Rob
Cycle : End-to-End webmaster
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

The CTC/CUK End to End pack has some useful information, including a YH route.

It's also available with a single mouse click if you follow the handy link in Paulatic's post here.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Madame Cholet wrote:Where do I start please

Land's End. :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

robgul wrote: ......... I think the trailer would be more of a liability than an asset - if you need a trailer then you're taking too much stuff!! Rack & panniers will work.
Panniers do indeed work, but a trailer is MUCH better, and I wouldn't even consider going back to panniers.

Last time I took the train with mine, I was using a suitcase strapped onto the load-bed. On the train, the bike went in the bike-stowage area, and the suitcase went in the suitcase stowage near my seat. Because I have a Carry Freedom trailer, the wheels can be taken off and put into a carrier-bag, and the load bed only has the chassis on it, so that too can go with the suitcases.

Five minute job to put the rig back together.
Finger.jpg
Finger.jpg (100.78 KiB) Viewed 1857 times
Mick F. Cornwall
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

If you aren't camping would a large saddlebag do the job?
John
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

My perceived problem with a trailer is it's extra weight and there are going to be lots of hills to get up. Also don't discount downhills as towing a trailer will need really good brakes and control.
A couple of panniers won't add much weight and should be enough to carry clothing and toiletries for hostelling.
Take into account the manhandling of the trailer/storage onto whatever transport you choose and also security of the trailer.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

If b and b / hosteling you can get by on saddle bag and bar bag I did.

I tended to eat in in wet days and eat out on sunny days....

The key to training is getting the miles in especially on consecutive days.

Getting organisation esp the to and from lejog the biggest headache. I'd do lejogle next time.

Cheers James
ossie

Post by ossie »

Madame Cholet wrote:I cycle as my main form of transport between 4 miles and 20 miles a day. I've recently bought a new Burley Nomad trailer and would like to work up to LEJOG in 2022. I've done a few multiday hikes from guide books but don't know where to start. I like staying in hostel type accommodation first choice so I guess that helps. I like quiet roads and well made up off roads and dislike built up areas. I think 3 weeks in April or May.

That mileage sounds good, perhaps the odd longer weekend ride just to stretch things out. Your body will quickly adapt to longer days in the saddle but you have a very good base.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Also break up the day into 3 20 mile sections and the distance becomes much more achieveable.

Cheers James
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

I remember a few years ago at the start of the Speedwell '100' the time keeper remarked to a first-time rider starting two minutes in front of me........' Just think of it as riding ten '10's'
:lol: :lol:
sjs

Post by sjs »

ossie wrote:
Madame Cholet wrote:I cycle as my main form of transport between 4 miles and 20 miles a day. I've recently bought a new Burley Nomad trailer and would like to work up to LEJOG in 2022. I've done a few multiday hikes from guide books but don't know where to start. I like staying in hostel type accommodation first choice so I guess that helps. I like quiet roads and well made up off roads and dislike built up areas. I think 3 weeks in April or May.

That mileage sounds good, perhaps the odd longer weekend ride just to stretch things out. Your body will quickly adapt to longer days in the saddle but you have a very good base.

I agree. Do some longer rides, mainly to convince yourself you can do them. Depending on how much you enjoy route planning, either spend some pleasant evenings with maps spread on a table or download someone else's idea of a good route, then book some hostels, B&Bs or whatever, and go. I know Mick disagrees, but you definitely don't need a trailer. The less luggage the better. For that reason I'd start in May not April, and assume the weather will be warmish (not dry though, of course).
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

sjs wrote:
ossie wrote:

I agree. Do some longer rides, mainly to convince yourself you can do them. Depending on how much you enjoy route planning, either spend some pleasant evenings with maps spread on a table or download someone else's idea of a good route, then book some hostels, B&Bs or whatever, and go. I know Mick disagrees, but you definitely don't need a trailer. The less luggage the better. For that reason I'd start in May not April, and assume the weather will be warmish (not dry though, of course).

You don't need much 2 sets of cycling gear shorts / tights, thermal / thin top.

Waterproof jacket

Evening clothes so much more comfortable light weight walking trousers, t shirt and fleece.

My touring shoes are comfortable enough for evening walking.

Cheers James
Enigmadick

Post by Enigmadick »

Of course you could buy a guidebook. :D

PSX_20201211_125038.jpg

Got invited to do a new route for Cicerone. So spent a couple of years reading all the blogs and forums looking for all the best advice, then investigated and rode lots of different options before settling on the final route.

And if you apply the discount code, it'll only cost about a tenner which includes the GPX files for Lejog and JogLe. So you can easily amend them to tailor the route to your own preferences.

https://www.cicerone.co.uk/cycling-lands-end-to-john-o-groats-third
ENIGMA DICK aka Richard Barrett