JOGLE on dialysis

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
MJNGP

JOGLE on dialysis

Post by MJNGP »

Possibly a little too niche :roll: but here goes all the same..,
Anyone here ridden either way whilst on dialysis? I'm pretty confident I can do it, my renal consultant (also a keen cyclist) was positive.., so just looking for anyone's experiences really TIA
simonineaston

Re: JOGLE on dialysis

Post by simonineaston »

Absolutely nothing of any use to tell you at all :roll: other than Go For It, and, Hope You Enjoy It!!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Syd

JOGLE on dialysis

Post by Syd »

You don’t say what type of dialysis you are on; haemodialysis or peritoneal dialysis.

You also haven’t said if you plan to do it supported or not.

Whilst the latter type of dialysis is less common it’s likely the easiest to manage provided you can have the correct fluids at the right points along your planned route.

The former will take careful planning to ensure that dialysis centres along the way know to expect you.

A list of main, and satellite, centres in Scotland can be found here https://www.srr.scot.nhs.uk/Renal_Units/Main.html

Also sharing of patient records between Scotland and England remains poor as they are on different systems. I know tourists turning up without records can cause problems for my dialysis colleagues and result in machines being quarantined till blood tests are passed. Might be worth speaking with your consultant on the best way to ensure they have access to your records along the way.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Are you already discussing this in the national patient network? That's probably the best way to find people who have, and it also has a list of local associations that might be able to help on the trip.

Let me know if you can't find the websites.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Syd wrote:Also sharing of patient records between Scotland and England remains poor as they are on different systems. I know tourists turning up without records can cause problems for my dialysis colleagues and result in machines being quarantined till blood tests are passed. Might be worth speaking with your consultant on the best way to ensure they have access to your records along the way.

I don't know how it works across countries but the database in England specifically supports information from different providers, and can even adjust plasma creatinine results depending on where they were measured.

Jonathan
MJNGP

Post by MJNGP »

You don’t say what type of dialysis you are on; haemodialysis or peritoneal dialysis.

You also haven’t said if you plan to do it supported or not.

So.., on PD and will be riding unsupported, carrying minimal usual kit in panniers and a trailer for fluid. Got 3-4 weeks in which to complete the journey. I'm not presuming it'll be a walk (or ride) in the park, but it certainly is do-able with careful planning.
MJNGP

Post by MJNGP »

Are you already discussing this in the national patient network? That's probably the best way to find people who have, and it also has a list of local associations that might be able to help on the trip.

Hi.., no I haven't posted this anywhere else really. I will have a look for the National Patient Network, thanks :wink: