JoGLE this year on Frankenbike

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
jonthefish

JoGLE this year on Frankenbike

Post by jonthefish »

Hi

Ive been lurking here for a while soaking up valuable JoGLE "intel" - There is some great stuff here! I ride mostly road and do 1-200km a week weather permitting. Though i do take the MTB out when its wet or icy

I am doing a solo JoGLE in July (yes, midges I know!) and a while ago decided to do it on a bike that i have built up myself and ive started that process this week with the purchase of a NoS Genesis CDA 20 frame. I want the bike to be part gravel, part tourer and this frame a nice relaxed geometry but has a bit of a racier feel if i wanted. This bike will be my winter trainer after the trip

The bit where i'd appreciate some help is gearing. As i wanted to keep the gravel bike feel, I was looking at a 1 x set up with maybe a 40T on the front and then a 11-42 at the back. Would it be better to go 2 x at the front just to give me that extra options on the steep stuff? I'm happy with hills, i live in West Dorset and cant move for big hills.

I would like to use 105 for the GS as it son a lot of my other kit and is like the VW golf of groupsets!

Thanks again for any help in advance
Enigmadick

Re: JoGLE this year on Frankenbike

Post by Enigmadick »

You'll be fine on a 1x with 40 or 42 on the front and 42 on the back. Climb anything including the worst of Cornwall and Devon. And it'll be good for any off road sections you include

Many will tell you that should go for a 2x for a bit more high end speed and smoother shifting which proponents say makes it easier to maintain a steady cadence and will help prolong chain life. If they really consider such factors to be that important, surely they'd be riding a triple.

So I'm not convinced myself and think a lot of the noise is people reiterating their post purchase rationalisation to justify to themselves they made a wise choice.

There is no right decision. Personally I ride 3x, 2x and 1x, enjoy them all equally and will probably do my next Lejog on my Space Chicken, (but with rack and panniers rather than frame packs).
ENIGMA DICK aka Richard Barrett
jonthefish

Post by jonthefish »

Useful stuff - thank you.

I nearly bought a space chicken frame! - Interesting on what you say on panniers over frame bags - i was going for bags but would be keen to hear why youre going the other way!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Personally, I would prefer a double & somewhat lower bottom gear. Hills loaded with touring gear are different to hills on a relatively unladen bike. From my perspective, If I have camping gear and all, I will probably end up walking a couple of hills on a hilly tour. Low gearing is to limit how much of that I do.

However, everyone is different, and your ability to get up hills on a loaded tourer may be better than mine. I would recommend loading up one of your current bikes the way you think you will load your new one, and take it up your worst hill, see what you think of it, and compare it to the hills you will encounter on JoGLE. Also, think about your willingness to walk now and again, if necessary. I don't mind. I tend to take things at a leisurely pace, anyway, but I know some folks don't like to walk if they can help it.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Enigmadick

Post by Enigmadick »

Interesting on what you say on panniers over frame bags - i was going for bags but would be keen to hear why youre going the other way!

Best way to answer that is to point you to an article I wrote a couple of years back, - needs an update as some carbon bikes, like the Chicken, have lugs and strengthened seat stays so can take a rack.

Unless you're riding single-track I'd always go for panniers as I find them less of a faff. Just unclip em and carry them up to you room, and if you're travelling light the smaller Ortlieb Sports Packers are really compact.

Enjoy

https://www.cicerone.co.uk/frame-packs-or-panniers-whats-right-for-you
ENIGMA DICK aka Richard Barrett
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Sorry for the slight off-post but how many chains does a 40x42 use ? (And the cost of a 42 cassette ?)
A 30x34 will give a similar and slightly lower gearing.
Personally I would chose 2x as my jaunt through Cornwall was with a 3x but I only used 39/30 x 34.
(I have 105 10 speed and the 50T only got used because it was there and on flat roads.)
Or swap the 30T chainring with something smaller for the hills. Other gears are available. :wink:
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

It's a question of do you like the steps between gears on the 11-42 block.
If not then going from x1 to x2 setup gives you roughly 3 more extra gears due to the overlap.
So it's a question of what you do with the extra gears.
One option:- Drop a sprocket, go for one more gear down and use the remaining one to fill in a nasty big step if need.
So something like 44/28 double and a 12-36 block works.
Keeps your 100" top while biasing the gears down a little.

Luck ........... :D
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Id suggest it depends on your style of riding.

If b &b with frame bags then a 1-1 ratio will be fine.

I did it on a 34-36 bottom gear with frame bags.

If however you are camping or carrying the kitchen sink then you reallywant 3x, Something like 24x32 as your bottom gear.

Of course you can do it on all bikes in between.

Cheers James
pwa

Post by pwa »

jonthefish wrote:Hi

Ive been lurking here for a while soaking up valuable JoGLE "intel" - There is some great stuff here! I ride mostly road and do 1-200km a week weather permitting. Though i do take the MTB out when its wet or icy

I am doing a solo JoGLE in July (yes, midges I know!) and a while ago decided to do it on a bike that i have built up myself and ive started that process this week with the purchase of a NoS Genesis CDA 20 frame. I want the bike to be part gravel, part tourer and this frame a nice relaxed geometry but has a bit of a racier feel if i wanted. This bike will be my winter trainer after the trip

The bit where i'd appreciate some help is gearing. As i wanted to keep the gravel bike feel, I was looking at a 1 x set up with maybe a 40T on the front and then a 11-42 at the back. Would it be better to go 2 x at the front just to give me that extra options on the steep stuff? I'm happy with hills, i live in West Dorset and cant move for big hills.

I would like to use 105 for the GS as it son a lot of my other kit and is like the VW golf of groupsets!

Thanks again for any help in advance

I need low gears to get a bike with bags on up steep hills, especially after hours in the saddle. By low I mean 26 at the front and 34 at the back. You may be different, but as you have hills to play with locally, why not try loading up a bike with the clobber you will be taking and see what sort of gearing feels right for your legs with that weight added to a bike. Then you will be making decisions based on knowledge rather than guesswork.