7 day LEJOG 2021

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Paulatic

Re: 7 day LEJOG 2021

Post by Paulatic »

@nickyboy I think you mean the A9 from Perth.
Drumochter and the Lecht are a superb route if the sun is shining.

Edit: btw I’ve looked at the whole route from Tebay north and it looks very good. I’d ride it. :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Stoo61

Post by Stoo61 »

Im also looking to do the route in around 7 days in the spring time.

I got a very similar route to the OP and sit every now and again and "fix" it for my needs. I am well versed, obviously, in the roads around where I live (Fife, Scotland) and was able to sort it out around there. Removed some cycle paths that seemed inefficient at other points etc.

Here's where I'm at.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/34849205

First thing I did was to move over to the A9 and to push through the spots of rubbish cycle path rather than go up n over Glenshee, just because its silly steep and im not there for touristing.

What do people think about getting accommodation on the fly? I know it seems very much like a daft idea but is it as bad as it sounds?
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

philvantwo wrote:If you read the post, it was the Mersey ferry, too much of a short cut for my liking, plus he had a car assisted day in South Wales!
:|

I had a lift from Chepstow to pontipridd where I was staying which was an increase in miles so I don't consider that to be a problem.

I then started the next day from there rather than get a lift back to Chepstow. Had I started from Monmouth yes I would have been cheating.

Re the ferry it was again convenient for my accomodationand saved going through the outskirts of Manchester.

Cheers James
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Stoo61 wrote:Im also looking to do the route in around 7 days in the spring time.

I got a very similar route to the OP and sit every now and again and "fix" it for my needs. I am well versed, obviously, in the roads around where I live (Fife, Scotland) and was able to sort it out around there. Removed some cycle paths that seemed inefficient at other points etc.

Here's where I'm at.

First thing I did was to move over to the A9 and to push through the spots of rubbish cycle path rather than go up n over Glenshee, just because its silly steep and im not there for touristing.

What do people think about getting accommodation on the fly? I know it seems very much like a daft idea but is it as bad as it sounds?

I think to do it in 7 days you will need to do more A road riding.

A bit around henbury - Bristol comes to mind as well as at Worcester, Ironbridge, Appley bridge and Galgate for instance....

You'll want a road bike rather than a touring bike too.

Cheers James
Stoo61

Post by Stoo61 »

Jamesh wrote:
Stoo61 wrote:Im also looking to do the route in around 7 days in the spring time.

Here's where I'm at.

I think to do it in 7 days you will need to do more A road riding.

A bit around henbury - Bristol comes to mind as well as at Worcester, Ironbridge, Appley bridge and Galgate for instance....

You'll want a road bike rather than a touring bike too.

Cheers James

Yeah I hear ya, its that fine line between efficiency/speed and constantly being buzzed by lorries.

Perhaps add a few more A roads, primarily in places avoiding unnecessary elevation gain.

Giant TCR with a Tailfinn bag is my set up.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Tbh A roads that follow the corresponding motorway are very busy.

Indeed the road above Carlisle was the loneliest road on the whole trip for that very reason.

Cheers James
MjTails

Post by MjTails »

Hi LaternRouge/Stoo61 (or anyone else willing to help! :D ),
I’m a first timer also planning a 7 day LEJOG in late May....if you wouldn’t mind sharing your latest route ideas that would be really appreciated as I’m a bit lost where to start at the mo.
FYI, I’m fairly experienced cyclist with a support vehicle so don’t need to go the shortest route if there are better (not too much further or more hilly) options. Would like to do 1000miles in the week if poss. I’m from near London so have no local road knowledge of any part of the route to help me.
Seen Mick F’s route to Oakhampton/Tiverton, then Bristol > Gloucester direction, but not sure after that...
Thanks!
Mark
robgul

Post by robgul »

MjTails wrote:Hi LaternRouge/Stoo61 (or anyone else willing to help! :D ),
I’m a first timer also planning a 7 day LEJOG in late May....if you wouldn’t mind sharing your latest route ideas that would be really appreciated as I’m a bit lost where to start at the mo.
FYI, I’m fairly experienced cyclist with a support vehicle so don’t need to go the shortest route if there are better (not too much further or more hilly) options. Would like to do 1000miles in the week if poss. I’m from near London so have no local road knowledge of any part of the route to help me.
Seen Mick F’s route to Oakhampton/Tiverton, then Bristol > Gloucester direction, but not sure after that...
Thanks!
Mark

This may be useful www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk for resources and other people's experiences
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Stoo61

Post by Stoo61 »

Jamesh wrote:Tbh A roads that follow the corresponding motorway are very busy.

Indeed the road above Carlisle was the loneliest road on the whole trip for that very reason.

Cheers James

Check the link In my previous post for the route Im going to use (so far) but ive never done it before. There is almost too much information and opinion out there. Short of getting splattered by a vehicle, it'll be a roaring success.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Jamesh wrote:Tbh A roads that follow the corresponding motorway are very busy.

Cheers James

Because it’s a B road maybe :wink:

E2E info
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Thanks for the Ride with GPS route.
Living in Aberdeen and having done the Scottish end2end ( unofficial ) I can only comment on the Northern parts.
Last June I cycled/ camped from home to Ullapool. My log records that short section ( very flat ) when you come off the Inverness bridge as being one of the most beautiful sections. And I was yet to hit the mountains.
I also cycled ( on my end2end ) from Scrabster to Lairg, 83 miles, a record ( loaded ) for me. Again, stunning. Hilly along the coastal top part but rolling slopes inland.

Best wishes for your trip.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

After the Kessock bridge in reality how many people would drop down into North Kessock?
I suspect most will keep on the cycle path and pass Harry Gow bakery.

E2E info
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Paulatic wrote:After the Kessock bridge in reality how many people would drop down into North Kessock?

Is that the north Kessock branch? If so, isn't that on the A9?
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

matt2matt2002 wrote:
Paulatic wrote:After the Kessock bridge in reality how many people would drop down into North Kessock?

Access from the A9 for vehicles but the cycle path from the bridge runs right through it and beyond

E2E info
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Paulatic wrote:
matt2matt2002 wrote:

Access from the A9 for vehicles but the cycle path from the bridge runs right through it and beyond

Thanks. My memory must be playing up. I had recalled the signs pointing me towards and through north Kessock, Charlestown and Redcastle. Lovely road.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.