End to End book, out Thurs 1 April

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
24hourmaths

Re: End to End book, out Thurs 1 April

Post by 24hourmaths »

Mick F wrote:Seriously, what is the shortest route legally achievable by a cyclist?
I'm willing to bet that it's more than 842miles.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26405677

Happy to accept/consider any improvements on the route :)
24hourmaths

Post by 24hourmaths »

I'm sure I remember talk of leaving the A30 at Okehamton and crossing more directly to Waterloo Cross perhaps? That looks like it might knock a few miles off.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

24hourmaths wrote:
Mick F wrote:Seriously, what is the shortest route legally achievable by a cyclist?

We did have an improvement but you didn’t listen :lol:
B81026F0-6F18-4FC3-A3ED-1A49A867AFBF.jpeg
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Chat Noir

Post by Chat Noir »

'Ah.. so you’ve not done it then :wink:
So near and yet so far :D
'

Ha, ha!
No, I haven’t done this exact route, bit too much main-roadey for me, especially following the A38 from Bristol, where my favourite is to cross the Severn and up the Wye Valley. My shortest LE-JOG is 899 miles which I could probably reduce by some miles without following Michael Broadwith’s route but we all have our own favourite bits. My JOG-LE mileage is 923 miles, but that was via York and have only done this once as part of a double.
One year we used a number of ferries, the King Harry, the one from Fowey, the Mersey (we really enjoyed that one) and the Nigg, another unexpected delight. Part of what makes this such a special journey is that there are as many variations as you want and all equally enjoyable, whether you go fast or slow, long or short.
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012
24hourmaths

Post by 24hourmaths »

Paulatic wrote:
24hourmaths wrote:

We did have an improvement but you didn’t listen :lol:
B81026F0-6F18-4FC3-A3ED-1A49A867AFBF.jpeg

Well remembered. Actually the "Old Perth Road" was on a fairly late iteration of the route but I ditched on the advice of Ralph Dadswell. He said that it was a fairly stiff climb - I was thinking that I would be able to just roll through Cowdenbeath, nice and quick like...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEs5oMckSUU

This gives a nice memory of the day - mid June in Cowdenbeath, shame they didn't catch the guy on the bike just nipping through.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Back in whatever year?
2007 I think.

The Race Against Time rode from LE to JOG in five days, and I was driving one of the support vehicles.
LE to Bristol
Bristol to Chester
Chester to Moffat
Moffat to Kingussie
Kingussie to JOG

The chaps compared mileages each day, and not one of them could agree on any of the distances. Tens of miles out at JOG despite every single one of them doing exactly the same ride.
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Is that ride in this new book Mick F?
I've reserved it at Perton library!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Dunno.
I was "recruited" as a driver and support chap due to my experience of the journey.

There as a mini-bus with more support, for food stops and for getting to the destinations and setting up meals and stuff.
Me and Dave were in a Transit van keeping an eye on the riders and providing water top-ups and the like.
Me and Dave did far more than the mileages that the riders did. We backtracked whilst checking on the stragglers etc.

Youngest rider was in his late 20s and came in last.
Oldest was 70, and he was nowhere near last!
The first chap to JOG, we'd said goodbye to him at Kingussie but he rode non-stop to JOG. Sorry, tell a lie, we met him at Durness and topped his water bottle up.
Mick F. Cornwall
guitartwonk

Post by guitartwonk »

Just ordered from Storysmith as you suggest. Looking forward to reading it. :)
pj76

Post by pj76 »

Hi everyone, there were no replies then suddenly a glut!

This book starts with the RRA record as the key element and meets many of the hardy/demented people who have done it. Hence the 842 mile route, which is at times a pretty ghastly run and as far away from the scenic bucket list most normal people would favour, myself included.

However, the book is about this journey in a wider sense, and about why we do this sort of thing, and lots of places along this line will be familiar to all of us.

So, it's out in ten days time. Early reads have been very positive and I think Cycling UK are reviewing via Jack Thurston who says it's "fantastic, a tour de force". Paul Fournel says "brilliant", Andy Cook says "amazing", Emily Chappell says "wonderful", Trevor Ward says "masterpiece", so take their words if not mine...

I just want people to read it and enjoy it.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

If Mick F route and Rob passage arn't in the book not to mention Mick's chopper ride then the book isn't complete! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers James
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol: :lol:
Thanks for the accolades! :D

If I were to do it again, I would still follow my route.
Mick F. Cornwall
pj76

Post by pj76 »

Jamesh wrote:If Mick F route and Rob passage arn't in the book not to mention Mick's chopper ride then the book isn't complete! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers James

I'll look at revising it in future to include these epic journeys into the heart of darkness.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

pj76 wrote:
Jamesh wrote:If Mick F route and Rob passage arn't in the book not to mention Mick's chopper ride then the book isn't complete! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers James

I'll look at revising it in future to include these epic journeys into the heart of darkness.

I was only joking!

I'm sure it's a great book and look forward to reading it.

Cheers James
pj76

Post by pj76 »

Me too!

:wink: