Is it ok to cycle and stay in Scotland from England?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Deansuter

Is it ok to cycle and stay in Scotland from England?

Post by Deansuter »

Hi all!

I am hoping to complete the LEJOG route this summer for charity. Has a date been agreed that people from England can enter and stay in Scotland as yet? Or is this ok anyway?

The information out there is so wooly!

Thank you!
Syd

Re: Is it ok to cycle and stay in Scotland from England?

Post by Syd »

In short, no a date has not been set.

What is known is that Scotland is expected to return to the tier system from late April when, it is hoped, most areas can drop to level three.

I would expect more news on travel throughout Scotland, as well as cross border travel, details to come in as part of that change.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The current timelines for Scotland and England (and Wales) are over here:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=144157&hilit=scotland#p1581499

Jonathan
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

Syd wrote:In short, no a date has not been set.

What is known is that Scotland is expected to return to the tier system from late April when, it is hoped, most areas can drop to level three.

I would expect more news on travel throughout Scotland, as well as cross border travel, details to come in as part of that change.

If, and it maybe a big IF, they drop to tier 3, then over-night statys will be allowed. I'm hoping so as I have a cottage booked on Mull for early May, postponed already from a year ago.
Elizabeth_S

Post by Elizabeth_S »

We are going back to the Tier system at the end of April, then it depends on local levels. My guess is that the highlands may be okay, and the southern areas also, it is areas in the central belt that may have level 4 or 3. I've been in level 3 or 4 since it started, my town has 0, but we are tied in with a whole load of areas that have problems.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I am braving the wrath of some next Monday by travelling south to St Boswells to get my car serviced. For several months I have only been able to travel a couple of miles north (Scotland), a couple of miles east (the North Sea), a couple of miles west (Scotland).
John
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

chris_suffolk wrote:

If, and it maybe a big IF, they drop to tier 3, then over-night statys will be allowed. I'm hoping so as I have a cottage booked on Mull for early May, postponed already from a year ago.

Here in D&G there is a hope we will be tier 2 we are down to 3 or cases/ day similar to last summer. I believe your booking will depend on what postcode you are coming from. The outbreak we had in the SW Stranraer last December was traced back to someone visiting who had given a false postcode to do so.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Syd

Post by Syd »

Paulatic wrote:
chris_suffolk wrote:

Here in D&G there is a hope we will be tier 2 we are down to 3 or cases/ day similar to last summer. I believe your booking will depend on what postcode you are coming from. The outbreak we had in the SW Stranraer last December was traced back to someone visiting who had given a false postcode to do so.

I saw some figures the other day where tiers are likely to be based on number of cases per 100,000 but that the numbers will be set lower than last time we were in the tier system.

Unfortunately cannot find it at present.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Syd wrote:I saw some figures the other day where tiers are likely to be based on number of cases per 100,000 but that the numbers will be set lower than last time we were in the tier system.

Unfortunately cannot find it at present.

Coronavirus (COVID-19): Strategic Framework update - February 2021
https://www.gov.scot/publications/coron ... -approach/

Coronavirus (COVID-19): local protection levels
https://www.gov.scot/publications/coron ... s-by-area/

Uses the WHO criteria.

Coverage in the The Press and Journal:
https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/politics/scottish-politics/2936881/levels-lockdown-government-jillian-evans/amp/

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Deansuter wrote:Hi all!

I am hoping to complete the LEJOG route this summer for charity. Has a date been agreed that people from England can enter and stay in Scotland as yet? Or is this ok anyway?

The information out there is so wooly!

Thank you!

I think the only thing you can say with any certainty is that everything is uncertain - and that includes in England. We are in the situation that "science" - largely epidemiology AIUI - is supposed to be determining the way out of lockdown, which has been described as a one-way process; the government doesn't want to be forced to return to lockdowns.

That means that the success of each step taken must be seen to have worked before the next can be taken. That in turn means that only the date of the first step can be set and even that is subject to everything going to plan. The "road map" then is a series of stages, each building on the completion of the one before so any slippage should push the date of every succeeding step back by at least the same amount with no scientific way of making up lost time. Perhaps there's some slack built-in to permit that or even some rabbit-out-of-a-hat speeding up down the line.

In short: don't make any firm plans like paying unrecoverable deposits.