which bike ?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
newbootclimbco

which bike ?

Post by newbootclimbco »

I am thinking of doing this tour again after a 16 day trip back in 2007 when i used a GT Nomad hybrid bike. This time i'm wondering either use my Ridgeback touring bike or my Cannondale Synapse road bike the later being lighter and quicker but not as robust. I hope to use AirNb or B and B . I feel too old for camping and at 70 want a few home comforts. so guys what bike ? any suggestions always welcome, thanks Tim.
Bonefishblues

Re: which bike ?

Post by Bonefishblues »

If you have time on your hands, the Ridgeback - esp as you mention comfort as a factor :)
robgul

Post by robgul »

No question - the Ridgeback .... and the Synapse wouldn't be very good for carrying much luggage.
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

how much luggage will you carry? B&B loads vary from a very little more than you might carry on a day ride to a saddlebagful. If the bag(s) can be carried, gearing is good, you are comfy on the synapse and you are not putting yourself at risk too many punctures etc with lightweight tyres, then the synapse would probably get my vote. However for all these things to coincide is a bit like the planets aligning; a touring bike is a much easier 'fit' to the task in hand.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I did it on my Cannondale six carbon bike which has a simalar geo as the synapse ie not as racey as the supersix.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/i68HWFKdufxWNK3j6

I had a frame top goodie / essentials bag, frame bag and large wedge saddle bag.

I did it in 8 days and as such all I did was ride and sleep.

However I did carry a normal t shirt light rousers and my spd shoes were Shimano touring shoes so walkable would looking like a penguin!

It will make you feel rather naked but it makes cycling easier.

If you like carrying more stuff then take the Ridgeback but your days on the saddle will be longer.

Also what do you intend on doing for lunch? If your planning on taking it with you that needs more space. Getting the bonk because your short supplied your muscles is not fun trust me!!

Cheers James
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Have you levelled your saddle up yet jamessssss?
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

No that saddles on my winter bike now.

It was comfortable ish in that position so hardly a problem.

In fact I did 45miles this afternoon on it.

Cheers James
newbootclimbco

Post by newbootclimbco »

Thanks for your comments guys , yes i agree, if all goes to plan it's my touring bike for me and starting early june/.cheers Tim.