JOGLE

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
1393jason

Re: JOGLE

Post by 1393jason »

Paulatic wrote:
1393jason wrote:What route would you suggest out of Penrith?

The A6 is the road to use to get the job done. it’s not a bad road to cycle on and plenty wide enough for any traffic to pass. Once you start the descent from Shap summit, with a tail wind, you’ll be keeping up with the cars anyway.
I’ve cycled Moffat <>Lancaster numerous times and many route variations. I know many E2Enders use the A6 between Penrith and Carlisle as well I hate that bit with a passion and the unnecessary hills on it. I prefer a route further West than yours but it’s longer and no advantage to your schedule.
One thought I have had though. Last year was the first I haven’t been in Penrith for many years. I can recall a news item about that bit of Strickland gate through the town being closed to traffic and wonder if that’s why routing took you the other way? I think the unpopular experiment ended and it’s back to through traffic. Be prepared if I’m wrong. :lol:

That could be right regarding the traffic. I have heard of a few town centers going pedestrition only to give people more space etc. As long as I have a rough idea I am sure I can figure it out as I get to it :D
1393jason

Post by 1393jason »

Here are my plans for day 4 and 5. Day 4 looks particularly stop-start and needs a fair bit of fine-tuning.

Day 4 https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35401476

Day 5 https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35434298

Any thoughts/feedback appreciated.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Day 4 I’ve no idea why you wouldn’t go through Garstang.
Cabus - Garstang- Catterall
I’d seriously consider Carnforth to Preston using A6
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
honesty

Post by honesty »

Day 5. Are you aiming for a specific end point in the Quantocks? If not, you’re climbing a big hill only to come back down it again. If you’re looking for speed, just stick to the A38, otherwise there are nicer routes to cycle from Clevedon.

From Clevedon the surface of the Strawberry line isn’t bad, and going that route from gets you through the Mendip’s by using the Shute Shelve tunnel, so cuts down climbing. From there you can go Cheddar, Wedmore, Shapwick, Othery. Then take either the A361 all the way into Taunton, or less A roads by going Athelney, Mare Green, North Curry, Knapp, Ham, Creech St. Michael, Ruishton and in to Taunton that way.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

1393jason wrote:Here are my plans for day 4 and 5. Day 4 looks particularly stop-start and needs a fair bit of fine-tuning.

Day 4 https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35401476

Day 4 is almost an exact reversal of the RAB route. With RAB, there's an element of route design that has to cater for the fact you're moving 700(ish) riders across 100 miles of terrain and each day requires starting and stopping at a suitable basecamp (usually a racecourse, it's the only option with enough flat ground for the tents) and 2 feed stations en route (usually big village halls although the one near Preston is in a section of garden centre car park). So that dictates the route to a large extent. There's also the need to consider some "relaxation" time where you're not constantly on narrow little back roads, you can get into a decent 2-up group and cover some miles quickly (like the use of the A6 between Carnforth and Milnthorpe for example after a lot of twisty turny roads from Barton up through the foothills of the Trough and through the Kellets).

You're doing some long days so I guess there's probably an element of needing some easy A-road miles too but equally, on your own there can be considerably more leeway to find roads that are much nicer to ride.

So early on, at Ackenthwaite (3.7 mile), unless you specifically want to go through Milnthorpe, take the B6384 to Holme and turn right onto the A6070 through Burton-in-Kendal then just before you cross the M6, turn left onto Kellet Lane. You pick up your route again at 10.6 miles. Route through the edge of the Trough is spot on, there's a nice cycling cafe at Scorton. Don't do the Garstang and A6 route, it's horrible and there are far nicer lanes only a few dozen metres off to the side.

Preston there isn't really much option to avoid although you can use the Preston Wheel cycle route for bits of it: https://www.visitpreston.com/visit/thin ... ild-wheel/

Rest of it is fine although if you can avoid the A50 through Knutsford and cut around it, I'd do that too. From High Legh I'd probably do Arley Green, Lostock Gralam and Lach Dennis to get to Allostock.
nickyboy

Post by nickyboy »

Paulatic wrote:Day 4 I’ve no idea why you wouldn’t go through Garstang.
Cabus - Garstang- Catterall
I’d seriously consider Carnforth to Preston using A6

I grew up in Carnforth so know the area well. I'd agree except I'd skirt around Lancaster only because it'll be slow going from Skerton on the N side until Bowerham on the S side. I think there are about 15 sets of traffic lights on that stretch

I'd stay on the A6 through Carnforth until Slyne, then head left on the Halton Road and pick up the OPs route there. I'd then duck off the OPs route and take Hazlerigg Lane which comes out on the A6 at Ellel and then take A6 thereafter to Preston.
1393jason

Post by 1393jason »

Thanks for everyones feedback on my Day 4 route. Here is the new day 4 route https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35481484
1393jason

Post by 1393jason »

honesty wrote:Day 5. Are you aiming for a specific end point in the Quantocks? If not, you’re climbing a big hill only to come back down it again. If you’re looking for speed, just stick to the A38, otherwise there are nicer routes to cycle from Clevedon.

From Clevedon the surface of the Strawberry line isn’t bad, and going that route from gets you through the Mendip’s by using the Shute Shelve tunnel, so cuts down climbing. From there you can go Cheddar, Wedmore, Shapwick, Othery. Then take either the A361 all the way into Taunton, or less A roads by going Athelney, Mare Green, North Curry, Knapp, Ham, Creech St. Michael, Ruishton and in to Taunton that way.

Thanks Honesty. I tend to avoid the cycle lanes where possible as I always find them a bit of a lottery on what the surface is like. I do like the look of the look of the toad into Taunton via Ruishton tho and could give me a few more accommodation options.
honesty

Post by honesty »

1393jason wrote:
Thanks Honesty. I tend to avoid the cycle lanes where possible as I always find them a bit of a lottery on what the surface is like. I do like the look of the look of the toad into Taunton via Ruishton tho and could give me a few more accommodation options.

Yeh I get that. Honestly though I’ve ridden the length of the Strawberry line on my audax bike on 28mm tyres and there is only 1 section about 100m long just north of Sandford that can be a bit dodgy.