JOGLE

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
1393jason

JOGLE

Post by 1393jason »

Hi all,

I am currently planning my Jogle attempt for later this year covid permitting and all that. I have pretty much traced the RAB route for the first 3 days but wanted to know what everyone thought about the days? ANy thoughts/feedback/alternatives would be appreciated. I am going to trim/lengthen a few of the days depending on elevation etc

Day 1 https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35374248

Day 2 https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35384631

Day 3 https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35393768

Thanks in advance
Jason
Paulatic

Re: JOGLE

Post by Paulatic »

Day 3 If you’re going to use the A6 then you might as well stick to it through Carlisle. (London road)
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
1393jason

Post by 1393jason »

Paulatic wrote:Day 3 If you’re going to use the A6 then you might as well stick to it through Carlisle. (London road)

Thanks I will have a look at that
Nessie23

Post by Nessie23 »

I am from Inverness and like your Day1 route. With my local knowledge I would re-join A9 at Evanston and stay on A9 all the way to your Day1 destination. The A9 gets a mixed press from cyclists but i used to cycle from south Inverness to Tore on Black Isle daily and never had any issues on A9. Going via Dingwall is certainly more scenic and very quiet roads but if you wanted to shave a few miles off I would consider A9 and deffo avoid the unnecessary detour into industrial Inverness from Kessock Bridge roundabout.
Day 2 is exactly the route I would take over the Lecht & Glenshee. I much prefer this to the more popular Drummochter Pass. Day 3 is outside of my cycling knowledge. Good luck.
1393jason

Post by 1393jason »

Nessie23 wrote:I am from Inverness and like your Day1 route. With my local knowledge I would re-join A9 at Evanston and stay on A9 all the way to your Day1 destination. The A9 gets a mixed press from cyclists but i used to cycle from south Inverness to Tore on Black Isle daily and never had any issues on A9. Going via Dingwall is certainly more scenic and very quiet roads but if you wanted to shave a few miles off I would consider A9 and deffo avoid the unnecessary detour into industrial Inverness from Kessock Bridge roundabout.
Day 2 is exactly the route I would take over the Lecht & Glenshee. I much prefer this to the more popular Drummochter Pass. Day 3 is outside of my cycling knowledge. Good luck.

Thanks for the detailed reply Nessie23 that's a big help. I am hopefully going to get around to a bit more planning this weekend so I will check out your suggestions.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

1393jason wrote:Hi all,

I am currently planning my Jogle attempt for later this year covid permitting and all that. I have pretty much traced the RAB route for the first 3 days but wanted to know what everyone thought about the days?
Thanks in advance
Jason

RAB route does the other side of Beauly Firth (partly for traffic reasons and partly because there's a feed station in a village hall type place along there which is the only realistic possibility in terms of logistics).

However I see you're doing much longer days so I suspect that's the reason you've cut across to minimise the distance. Never ridden it but I've driven it both ways and it didn't look too bad on those occasions for cycling.

Day 3 out of Carlisle, I'd stay the other side of the M6 and go through Ivegill, Hutton-in-the-Forest, Catterlen as it's a much quieter route into Penrith compared to the A6 that you've got. I know Shap is a very traditional route but rather than the main road up there I'd even be tempted to go up through Lowther (Eamont Bridge > Yanwath > Askham) and get to Shap summit that way.

Good luck!
PH

Post by PH »

That's an ambitious route, high mileage and scenic, I tend to choose on or the other, but you'll know your own abilities.
I don't have much to add to the route, just a word of caution that the road alongside the M74 has an awful surface, if you were thinking of it as a fast easy ride, be prepared for disappointment. There's no obvious alternative, I've ridden it several times and expect to again, I just mention it so you don't do what I did and spend half the day looking forward to the easy section. It's one redeeming factor is the cafe at Lockerbie Lorry Park.
1393jason

Post by 1393jason »

PH wrote:That's an ambitious route, high mileage and scenic, I tend to choose on or the other, but you'll know your own abilities.
I don't have much to add to the route, just a word of caution that the road alongside the M74 has an awful surface, if you were thinking of it as a fast easy ride, be prepared for disappointment. There's no obvious alternative, I've ridden it several times and expect to again, I just mention it so you don't do what I did and spend half the day looking forward to the easy section. It's one redeeming factor is the cafe at Lockerbie Lorry Park.

Thanks PH that's useful info. Will it be ok on 28mm road bike tyres? Ive gone down through a fair bit of the route on google street maps but obviously, it can be a bit of a lottery what you get on the day.
1393jason

Post by 1393jason »

rareposter wrote:
1393jason wrote:Hi all,

I am currently planning my Jogle attempt for later this year covid permitting and all that. I have pretty much traced the RAB route for the first 3 days but wanted to know what everyone thought about the days?
Thanks in advance
Jason

RAB route does the other side of Beauly Firth (partly for traffic reasons and partly because there's a feed station in a village hall type place along there which is the only realistic possibility in terms of logistics).

However I see you're doing much longer days so I suspect that's the reason you've cut across to minimise the distance. Never ridden it but I've driven it both ways and it didn't look too bad on those occasions for cycling.

Day 3 out of Carlisle, I'd stay the other side of the M6 and go through Ivegill, Hutton-in-the-Forest, Catterlen as it's a much quieter route into Penrith compared to the A6 that you've got. I know Shap is a very traditional route but rather than the main road up there I'd even be tempted to go up through Lowther (Eamont Bridge > Yanwath > Askham) and get to Shap summit that way.

Good luck!

Thanks Rareposter, yes. I was looking to take a little bit off the day by not going around Beauly Firth. It does look a little busy for my liking but seems to be an ok ish bike path most of the road so could be ok.

I will have a look at the day 3 changes you suggest.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

PH wrote:That's an ambitious route, high mileage and scenic, I tend to choose on or the other, but you'll know your own abilities.

Depends when you last rode it? There has been a bit of resurfacing in places and the crater like pot holes gone. Also some digging 20 years of debris out of the side. The kerbstone can be seen in a lot of places now. :D
Ride the nearside vehicle wheel line and it’s not so bad.

There is an alternative Fechen to Beattock very scenic, via Lochmaben, and quiet but it is 6 mls longer.

If you don’t want the A6 the shortest from Carlisle is Currock> Calthwaite> Catterlan Roundabout. There’s a back door into Southwaite services there too.

E2E info
1393jason

Post by 1393jason »

Updated Day 3 now. is this looking any better?

Day 3 updated https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35454063
PH

Post by PH »

Paulatic wrote:
PH wrote: just a word of caution that the road alongside the M74 has an awful surface,

Depends when you last rode it?

last time was on an Audax three years ago and just the section from Gretna to Moffat and about seven years since riding the entire length.
It wasn't so much the debris and potholes, but the poor surface, on the Audax it was a common complaint. Not so bad that I wouldn't ride it again, just not so good that I'd go out of my way to, or expect to make good progress.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

1393jason wrote:Updated Day 3 now. is this looking any better?

It’s a bit astray in Carlisle. Coming up to Portland Square keep on Brunswick St then Tait St to Botchergate Trn Left then Right Blackwell road to Currock. If you need any bike bits you will pass Palace cycles in Botchergate a good place.
The road along beside Mway is super flat and can make good progress.
In Penrith at the Esso Davidson’s garage you can, for simplicity, just keep on Scotland road. When you reach the roundabout with A66 you might find four lanes of fast moving traffic a bit intimidating. I do :D As you approach look to the right and there is a safe traffic lighted way over it for cycles and pedestrians.
After Penrith heading out into the country is a lovely ride out but it wouldn’t be my choice on a 160 mile day.

E2E info
1393jason

Post by 1393jason »

Paulatic wrote:
1393jason wrote:Updated Day 3 now. is this looking any better?

It’s a bit astray in Carlisle. Coming up to Portland Square keep on Brunswick St then Tait St to Botchergate Trn Left then Right Blackwell road to Currock. If you need any bike bits you will pass Palace cycles in Botchergate a good place.
The road along beside Mway is super flat and can make good progress.
In Penrith at the Esso Davidson’s garage you can, for simplicity, just keep on Scotland road. When you reach the roundabout with A66 you might find four lanes of fast moving traffic a bit intimidating. I do :D As you approach look to the right and there is a safe traffic lighted way over it for cycles and pedestrians.
After Penrith heading out into the country is a lovely ride out but it wouldn’t be my choice on a 160 mile day.

Thanks Paulatic, that's tidied things up a bit. Maybe I should pay a bit more attention rather than letting the website divert me! What route would you suggest out of Penrith? The day looks generally flat and easy to me unless I am missing something?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

1393jason wrote:What route would you suggest out of Penrith?

The A6 is the road to use to get the job done. it’s not a bad road to cycle on and plenty wide enough for any traffic to pass. Once you start the descent from Shap summit, with a tail wind, you’ll be keeping up with the cars anyway.
I’ve cycled Moffat <>Lancaster numerous times and many route variations. I know many E2Enders use the A6 between Penrith and Carlisle as well I hate that bit with a passion and the unnecessary hills on it. I prefer a route further West than yours but it’s longer and no advantage to your schedule.
One thought I have had though. Last year was the first I haven’t been in Penrith for many years. I can recall a news item about that bit of Strickland gate through the town being closed to traffic and wonder if that’s why routing took you the other way? I think the unpopular experiment ended and it’s back to through traffic. Be prepared if I’m wrong. :lol:

E2E info